Last upgrade for fading 939 system Thoughts?

Finny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Hay guys i am going to sell some stuff and do one last upgrade on my computer its currant specs are:

Amd 939 3000+ @ stock

Abit KN8U @ defult bios

Cosair Value ram 2x512mb ddr cs2.5

250gb ata100 Seagate harddrive

Innovision 7900gt @ stock w/ 90.30e XG drivers

Audigy 2ZS @ latest drivers

Sony DRU 16xdvd daul layer ect.

and a crappy $50 case w/ 420w peak PSU atx1.0

By the end of this year iam hoping to add these parts to it.......

A new AMD X2 939 4600+

Cosair TWINX2024-3200 CL2 2GB (2x1gb) 400mhz

Antec Sonata II w/ 450w PSU

320GB Sata2 Seagate HDD

Zalman Fatality FS-C77

Just need some opinions here guys.... Good upgrade or not ?

Prolly gonna cost me atleast AUS $700 to buy all that BTW.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Did you say Value RAM??? Uh, I hate to break the news, but why upgrade to low performance RAM when you're upgrading to a high performance CPU? Besides, if you have a total of 4 sticks of RAM, you will DECREASE performance. Get some 2x1Gb sticks of Corsair XMS or OCZ memory if you want to upgrade RAM.

But I agree more with The_Prophecy. Depending on the costs, you may be better off with a Core 2 system.

The Core 2 system will cost more due to the CPU and motherboard combo, but some of that cost will be offset by the RAM, because Core 2's aren't affected nearly as much by higher timings as AMD systems are with their integrated memory controllers.

Finny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
The 4600+ isn't worth it.... go with the X2 3800+.
The 3800 X2 isent available from my supplier but the 4600+ is for the same price $300AUS (about $180US ?) so iam deffinatly going to get it!
and overclock it.
Not a big fan of overclocking bud.
look into a Core 2 E6300 based system instead.
H@te 1ntel ; allways will!
Get some 2x1Gb sticks of Corsair XMS or OCZ memory if you want to upgrade RAM.
The Ram upgrade was men`t to be buget but seeing that ram u mentioned is only 70$ more for me i will get that insted!
But I agree more with The_Prophecy. Depending on the costs, you may be better off with a Core 2 system.
Once Again H@te 1ntel ; allways will!
The Core 2 system will cost more due to the CPU and motherboard combo, but some of that cost will be offset by the RAM, because Core 2's aren't affected nearly as much by higher timings as AMD systems are with their integrated memory controllers.
Once Again H@te 1ntel ; allways will!

the only Genuine non bogus Intel cpu was the P3 generation but i might be alone in thinking that^^^^

Dont really care in the AMD cpus are Timing seseitive, i do care however about multitasking and Physics performace going to be doing alot of Ripping so having a AMD dual core is what i want!

I won't get into why you don't like Intel, but don't you think the way you stated it was being a little closed minded? I used to hate ATI and AMD, but since i've started posting on this forum, I have learned that they aren't as bad as I once thought. The socket 478 chips and the first LGA775's from Intel were overall pretty crappy chips, but the benchmarks don't lie. The Core 2's are far superior to AMD's offerings.... in a few years, I don't doubt that AMD will be the leader again. That's the way this works.

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
The socket 478 chips and the first LGA775's from Intel were overall pretty crappy chips, but the benchmarks don't lie.

The s478 chips weren't crappy. The best P4, IMO, was the Northwood. It's faster than the Prescott clock for clock, and it runs cooler.

Finny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I won't get into why you don't like Intel, but don't you think the way you stated it was being a little closed minded? I used to hate ATI and AMD, but since i've started posting on this forum, I have learned that they aren't as bad as I once thought. The socket 478 chips and the first LGA775's from Intel were overall pretty crappy chips, but the benchmarks don't lie. The Core 2's are far superior to AMD's offerings.... in a few years, I don't doubt that AMD will be the leader again. That's the way this works.

Iam sure your views have changed on AMD,ATI. I couldent really care ! All i wanted to know from Forumz was wether the AMD 939 X2 4600+ is a good upgrade path considering my finaceial situation(Dont have much money and i was am going to spend it i want it to talk goddamnit!)

Wasent meaning to start another boring Intel Vs. AMD....but i have noticed Intels tactics are very sneeky and i dont like sneekiness.

Soooooo iam not closeminded The_Prophecy and i dont intend to as such but it is just an opinion of mine how i feel about intel and i do not wish to support them !

How is that Close minded? Hmmm ?

If you still think iam close minded iam 15years old with no ADSL,Cable or Wireless Broadband services in slightly technological backward Australia!

Finny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
The socket 478 chips and the first LGA775's from Intel were overall pretty crappy chips, but the benchmarks don't lie.

The s478 chips weren't crappy. The best P4, IMO, was the Northwood. It's faster than the Prescott clock for clock, and it runs cooler.

The_Prophecy i think you are a smartass!

I can be a smartass on occasion, but IMO the way you stated your position on Intel was a little closed minded, not your reasons for feeling that way. I don't dispute your reasons.... they are your reasons and you are entitled to have them.

If you're set on AMD, that's fine.... everyone has their preference. I just suggested the Core 2 system first because of it's incredible performance; I thought it would be a better choice. As far as your original plan goes....

Your picks for upgrades to your current system are fine. Since you're not into overclocking the X2 4600+ should provide a nice boost in performance until you're ready to make the jump to AM2 (or possibly AM3 if you wait that long before you do a rebuild). I would switch the RAM though to something with better timings. AMD systems LOVE ram with low timings so if you can find any CL2 ram... go for it. The hard drive is great. Best data throughput of any SATA drive I know of. I don't have a strong opinion on cases, I let the user decide what they think looks good, I simply point out things to look for. The P160 should be good, although if you can afford it, try and find a P180.

Finny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Thankyou for understanding me.

@Everyone:

Iam going to get Cosair TwinX 2x1gb DDR400mhz ram CL2 timing.

deffinetly going to get the P160 case cause i looked at the P180 and hated the internal layout! also it looks really flimsy!

I need some help with choosing a Decent ATX2.0 PSU by Antec! Because i can get their stuff cheap from my supplier overhere in Aus!

Finny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
The P180 is probably the most solid case i've ever seen. The layout is a bit awkward I admit, but the case itself is mostly aluminum.

Dude that case makes me want to be Sick okay! I hate it !

As for the Case i might be getting the Antec 'Sonata II' MiniTower Case - Piano Black, SmartPower2.0 450W PSU Because i have a crappy 430w atx1.0 Psu that has got WAAAAAAY to meny cables laying around !

So this is what i am thinking of buying now

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 939skt.

Cosair TWINX2024-PC3200 2GB (2x1GB)

Antec Sonata II w/ SP 2.0 430w PSU

Zalman Fatality FS-C77 (Copper)

For $800 Australian

Sounds pretty kickass to me!

No need to be hostile about it.... I was just speaking from experience... I've handled a P180 and they are definitly not flimsy.... The layout is different but I personally happen to like it.

The Sonata II would be a good alternative to the P160, but it is a smaller case. The lower volume of air might raise your temps a couple Celsius across the board.

Finny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
No need to be hostile about it.... I was just speaking from experience... I've handled a P180 and they are definitly not flimsy.... The layout is different but I personally happen to like it.

Dont worry man iam not super touchy im just having fun lol :p

Going to go with the Sonata II because of the good 450W PSU (Does it have Sata,PCIe and 24pin MB power plugs ?)

Was thinking about The P160/180 for a long time, but in my opinion they look look stupid.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

Word. My 2.8 400FSB Northwood @ 3.6 beats a Prescott at 4ghz in games. I managed to overclock my Northwood by 800mhz on Stock cooling, try and do that on a Prescott/A64 :D

TRENDING THREADS