ntbackup doesn't recognise media

Archived from groups: alt.backup-software,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

Hi,

I've been using NTbackup for ages, rotating 30 tapes. Surestore 20/40 DDS4.

Now, all of a sudden, I have problems:

Firstly it stopped altogether, but a new cleaner and a few runs seems to
sort that out. Also upgraded HPs diagnostics to lastest versioin. Firmware
is latest already.

Now, it doesn't recognise any tapes at all.

If I do a manual BU, it says "There is no unused media of the selected type"
and the nightly automated BU fails with the following error "The operation
was not performed because no unused media was available."

All my media shows in a folder Removable Storage / Media Pools / Backup /
4mm DDS but I can't delete these, or prepare them. All show as Off line,
Idle and Alloated.

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks,

NEIL

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:27:12 +0100, "Neil Jarman" <neil@tNOiSPAMvPLEASEy.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been using NTbackup for ages, rotating 30 tapes. Surestore 20/40 DDS4.
>
>Now, all of a sudden, I have problems:
>
>Firstly it stopped altogether, but a new cleaner and a few runs seems to
>sort that out. Also upgraded HPs diagnostics to lastest versioin. Firmware
>is latest already.
>
>Now, it doesn't recognise any tapes at all.
>
>If I do a manual BU, it says "There is no unused media of the selected type"
>and the nightly automated BU fails with the following error "The operation
>was not performed because no unused media was available."
>
>All my media shows in a folder Removable Storage / Media Pools / Backup /
>4mm DDS but I can't delete these, or prepare them. All show as Off line,
>Idle and Alloated.
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>NEIL

Stick an old tape in the drive. It should show as OnLine. You should be able to Deallocate it and place it in the free media pool.
If not, I suspect your tape drive is broken.

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Archived from groups: alt.backup-software,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

Hi Jerold,

thanks for this.

Eventually, I was able to sort things out.

I suspect that it was actually windows which had lost it's grip on the
tapes.

I moved them all to a new backup folder, and then back to the original one,
after which all was OK!

I have posted another question for you.

"Automating an append backup"

I appreciate your help, and especially your websit - a great resource for
me!

NEIL

"Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:27:12 +0100, "Neil Jarman"
<neil@tNOiSPAMvPLEASEy.co.uk> wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >I've been using NTbackup for ages, rotating 30 tapes. Surestore 20/40
DDS4.

> >Now, all of a sudden, I have problems:
> >
> >Firstly it stopped altogether, but a new cleaner and a few runs seems to
> >sort that out. Also upgraded HPs diagnostics to lastest versioin.
Firmware
> >is latest already.
> >
> >Now, it doesn't recognise any tapes at all.
> >
> >If I do a manual BU, it says "There is no unused media of the selected
type"
> >and the nightly automated BU fails with the following error "The
operation
> >was not performed because no unused media was available."
> >
> >All my media shows in a folder Removable Storage / Media Pools / Backup /
> >4mm DDS but I can't delete these, or prepare them. All show as Off line,
> >Idle and Alloated.
> >
> >Any help is appreciated.
> >
> >Many thanks,
> >
> >NEIL
> >
> Stick an old tape in the drive. It should show as OnLine. You should be
able to Deallocate it and place it in the free media pool.
> If not, I suspect your tape drive is broken.
>

> Jerold Schulman
> Windows Server MVP
> JSI, Inc.
> http://www.jsiinc.com