Black ink question about IP5000 and other 4 colour pixmas

Tags:
  • Printers
  • Pixma
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
June 14, 2005 1:14:11 PM

I know there is an extra black ink that adds to the 3 colours to enhance
black levels(contrast?) in Pixma 4 colour printers. What I would like to
know is it possible to get the printer to use that additional black ink to
enhance the black level or contrast? Basically I'm asking because the paper
I'm using doesn't seem to be very good on reproducing black levels. The
colours are fine though. I am using 100g/m paper so the paper should not
desintegrate if I try this.
Would selecting a different colour profile do the trick or is the amount of
black ink used in a print completely uncontrollable?

More about : black ink question ip5000 colour pixmas

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 8:34:38 PM

The iP4000 and iP5000 models have two black ink tanks. The BCI-6bk is photo
black and is used for all printing, both as standalone black and in
combination with the other three colors to produce a full range of colors.
The BCI-3ebk is pigmented black ink and is used only when plain paper is
selected. It is not used for other paper modes. Have you tried adjusting the
intensity by using the printer driver for manual color adjustments?
--
Ron

"Hg" <hg@gh.hg> wrote in message news:Qqydndc5aeUIKTPfRVnyuA@pipex.net...
>I know there is an extra black ink that adds to the 3 colours to enhance
> black levels(contrast?) in Pixma 4 colour printers. What I would like to
> know is it possible to get the printer to use that additional black ink to
> enhance the black level or contrast? Basically I'm asking because the
> paper
> I'm using doesn't seem to be very good on reproducing black levels. The
> colours are fine though. I am using 100g/m paper so the paper should not
> desintegrate if I try this.
> Would selecting a different colour profile do the trick or is the amount
> of
> black ink used in a print completely uncontrollable?

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 9:06:29 PM

"Hg" <hg@gh.hg> wrote in message news:Qqydndc5aeUIKTPfRVnyuA@pipex.net...
>I know there is an extra black ink that adds to the 3 colours to enhance
> black levels(contrast?) in Pixma 4 colour printers. What I would like to
> know is it possible to get the printer to use that additional black ink to
> enhance the black level or contrast? Basically I'm asking because the
> paper
> I'm using doesn't seem to be very good on reproducing black levels. The
> colours are fine though. I am using 100g/m paper so the paper should not
> desintegrate if I try this.
> Would selecting a different colour profile do the trick or is the amount
> of
> black ink used in a print completely uncontrollable?

The BC6BK ink is used when the paper setting is other than 'Plain Paper'
!