Overclock Core 2 duo E6400 any tip?

penguinusaf

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Hi, i have a board from Gigabyte GA-945GM-s2, where it did not give any option to overclock in Bios and Clockgen will not work. Installed easy tune 5 and also no option for overclocking. Any idea? i had another Gigabyte mb with my AMD x2 where overclocking with easy tune 5 or from Bios is availaveable. anyone help? Forget to say Running on 1Gb (2x512) OCZ 664Mhz.

Boydy

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
All Core 2 cpus have their core frequencys locked out, excepth the Extreme edition (thats what makes it extreme. INtel have released a tool that will expose the core frequencys but i have yet to find it. Vadim oc'd a E6700 to 3.33 using this tool. If you do find it will you please tell me.

Hope this helped

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I have an gigabyte motherboard. At first i thought it wouldnt OC my cpu. But when i did some research on the web ( :idea: google :idea: ) i found out that the keycombination 'ctrl+F1' unlocked some new features in my bios. So maybe this same combination works for you, or you just have to google to.

penguinusaf

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
ok i could not find much info for this mobo as it is pretty new on market and also i have try the Ctrl - F1. It did unlock some feture like the memory timming, S.M.A.R.T and some other things but clock frequency is still hidden. I have been trying search from yahoo or google. Tried to sent Gigabyte techenical problem but server is offline. Anyone have this same motherboard? as i read about the S series of the Gigabyte motherboard which feture overclocking.

penguinusaf

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I guess they lock the frequency and multipler for the processor or maybe because i am using the Core2duo at 1066fsb where the M/B's max FSB support is 1066 therefore no option for me to overclock.

NoobInACan

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
just for you info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Side_Bus
The front side bus (FSB) is a term for the physical bi-directional data bus that carries all electronic signal information between the central processing unit (CPU) and other devices within the system such as random access memory (RAM), the memory containing the system BIOS, AGP video cards, PCI expansion cards, hard disks, etc.

edit: I was DEAD wrong - sorry ya'll

so, it has nothing to do with CPU clock speed.
may want to keep looking.

jorbor36

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
just for you info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Side_Bus
The front side bus (FSB) is a term for the physical bi-directional data bus that carries all electronic signal information between the central processing unit (CPU) and other devices within the system such as random access memory (RAM), the memory containing the system BIOS, AGP video cards, PCI expansion cards, hard disks, etc.

so, it has nothing to do with CPU clock speed.
may want to keep looking.

eh, but if u oc ur fsb, doesnt that up ur speed? i mean the multiplier just multiplies ur fbp, so it does have to do with ur cpu speed

i dunno though...

NoobInACan

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Chewbanator
The multiplier on all Core 2 Duos except the Extreme Edition are locked, not the clock speeds.

so, you should be able to increase your FSB/ClockSpeed in increments.
that's the only way you can overclock. usually up to 400Mhz.

and thanks for the correction, I was WRONG earlier

penguinusaf

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
To conclude this overclocking, i have written to gigabyte and got the following respond:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for supporting GIGABYTE products and contacting GBT Tech Support. As to the problem you mentioned, with the hardware specification, this model does not support overclock features. All the options that the M/B supports already listed in the BIOS setting.

If you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us directly. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Best Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY
as this motherboard does not support overclocking.

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
I guess they lock the frequency and multipler for the processor or maybe because i am using the Core2duo at 1066fsb where the M/B's max FSB support is 1066 therefore no option for me to overclock.

Wot temps u getting on stock??? and wot the room temp

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
im getting 41c (using CORE TEMP) on 800rpm stock fan, there must be something wrong wit mine, i took it out the otherday and made sure all the pins were in and they were fine and i used AS5, and when i applayed it i dont think i put to much on as i used a credit card to wipe most it off hmmm?? ne ideas? room temp is round 20c

penguinusaf

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
yeah i know it is really hot in australia, i am in australia too and i try to overclock mine now cos it is winter lol. Stupid board wont let me overclock well i may wait till a sutable board comes out or see what is gona happen...