Error Message During Setup

During setup at the point where it is, "Performing Final Tasks" and
Registers Components, I get the following error message:

"Could not open boot file". Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Kenneth
4 answers Last reply
More about error message setup

    How are you installing? To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000
    install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created
    from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the
    CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and
    follow the prompts.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
    ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
    setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
    inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
    and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
    insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Kenneth Bryant" wrote:
    | During setup at the point where it is, "Performing Final Tasks" and
    | Registers Components, I get the following error message:
    |
    | "Could not open boot file". Does anyone know how to fix this?
    |
    | Thanks in advance,
    |
    | Kenneth

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    I apologize for leaving out the relevant information. I am installing
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server (Microsoft Select Customer version with SP4
    included) on a Compaq Proliant CL380 cluster server. I am using Compaq
    Smartstart version 5.50 for the install of all of the SCSI drivers and
    software for the server. Once the Smartstart program finishes installing
    the drivers, it asks for the Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD and starts
    installing Windows 2000. That is all I can think of. Does this change the
    approach to solving my issue?

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > How are you installing? To do a clean install, either boot the Windows
    2000
    > install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be
    created
    > from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the
    > CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit)
    and
    > follow the prompts.
    >
    > When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
    partitions
    > found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
    > restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
    > letter assignments with your new install.
    >
    > Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any
    network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    >
    > You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
    > ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
    > setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
    > inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller
    detection,
    > and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted
    > insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    > controller in drive "A"
    >
    > If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    > late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    > resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Kenneth Bryant" wrote:
    > | During setup at the point where it is, "Performing Final Tasks" and
    > | Registers Components, I get the following error message:
    > |
    > | "Could not open boot file". Does anyone know how to fix this?
    > |
    > | Thanks in advance,
    > |
    > | Kenneth

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Hi Kenneth,

    Sounds like you are running in to the problem mentioned below?

    259302 Windows 2000 DNS Event Messages 1 Through 1614
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=259302

    1200 (Error) DNS_EVENT_BOOT_FILE_NOT_FOUND

    The DNS server could not find or open boot file %1.
    This file should be called 'Boot' and be located in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Dns folder.

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Mike Rosado

    <http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>

    > During setup at the point where it is, "Performing Final Tasks" and
    > Registers Components, I get the following error message:
    >
    > "Could not open boot file". Does anyone know how to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Kenneth

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Why would this happen during setup when I am using a Windows 2000 Advanced
    Server CD?
    "Mike Rosado [MSFT]" <mikeros@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Kenneth,
    >
    > Sounds like you are running in to the problem mentioned below?
    >
    > 259302 Windows 2000 DNS Event Messages 1 Through 1614
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=259302
    >
    > 1200 (Error) DNS_EVENT_BOOT_FILE_NOT_FOUND
    >

    > The DNS server could not find or open boot file %1.
    > This file should be called 'Boot' and be located in the
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Dns folder.

    > --
    > Hope this helps,
    > Mike Rosado
    > Windows 2000 MCSE + MCDBA
    > Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
    > Windows NT/2000/2003 Cluster Technologies

    rights.
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>

Microsoft Error Message Servers Windows