• Truepower
  • Antec
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2006 1:39:57 AM

Hi all!
How was your weekends?
For me, it's scorching HOT!

I have this Antec Truepower II and it has so many f***** damn wires that get in my way when I try and connect something else.
But I understand "they are there for a reason" right? After I'm done with all the connecting and stuff, what do I do with those wires I don't use?
Anyone can recommend me a remedy to deal with those wires?

More about : damn wires

August 7, 2006 2:14:30 AM

cable ties are your friend - that, and a few adhesive mounting posts. Better yet get a molex removal tool, a vantec sleeving kit and sleeve all of your wires.

cheers
August 7, 2006 2:16:05 AM

Yo Shin,
Get some zip ties and cinch em up. Now depending where your PSU is located, (if it's at the top of case) you can tuck em up in the space between the top of PSU and case....provided there is no fan up there. Otherwise, there is usually some space on the side between the PSU and case side where mobo is. Another thing you can do with the wires you ARE using is take up the slack of any excess wires coneccted to hardware.

As for the HDD's, if you are still using IDE, try an locate the disk as close to the IDE plug in on the MOBO. That way you can fold up the extra ribbon and tuck it in behind the mobo or just have it folded up. This will cut down on airflow imedance in the case.

If you have any wires from the fans, you can zip tie em along the side of the case down the INSIDE CORNERs. The more room there is aroudn the CPU an GPU the better bro.. :wink:
HOpe this helps. Trust me man, this is one project you want to give lots of thought as to where you want to locate the wires.

RIG specs
Antec P180 PerformanceSeries Mid-Tower Case
SeaSonic S12 600 watt power supply
Asus A8N32 SLI mobo AMD N-Force 4 SLIX16 (bios 1103 V02.58)
RealTek 97 onboard digital 5.1 Surround
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core, 2 X 1mb L2 cache (AMD driver 1.3.1.0 w/MS hotfix & AMD Dual Core Optimizer)
2 gigs of Corsair TwinX3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG Tech 7900 GT OC 256mb in SLI (nvidia driver 91.31)
Western Digital RAPTOR 74.3 gig 10-K rpm HDD for XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for gaming, movies, MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for document backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX 500watts
Related resources
August 7, 2006 4:23:57 AM

Hey paybax and nikolokolus
Thanks for the reply I find it very helpful.
I have one or two zip ties I think came with either mobo or PSU but I'll try and organize them. Right now, the inside of case is a maze!
August 7, 2006 5:17:21 AM

Rewire the whole case. take only the wires that you need, plan ahead(think about where your wires will be going, which sections of the case to route them through, and any obstacles that might get in the way), and then go for it. Generally speaking and as a rule of thumb in many cases, you want as few wires crossing over the motherboard as possible. Tuck them away into drive bays, behind panels etc. Just make sure to not put them directly in the path of any fans etc. Count the number of connections and types of connections (molex, 20 or 24 pin, 4 or 8 pin mobo connectors, pci e power, floppy, etc) and try to organize things so that you minimize the number of wires coming from the psu that you need.
Doing that will make your case look cleaner and probably have better airflow.
August 7, 2006 5:18:58 AM

I took those extra wires and tucked them behind my motherboard. There should be a small space between the side of your case and the structure your motherboard is secured to. Then I used electrical tape to prevent anything from moving. (getto, but it works)

If that is not possible try wrapping the wires up in a pen and pulling the pen out. You are then left with a tight curl that is easier to move and takes up less space.
August 7, 2006 5:22:24 AM

Quote:
I took those extra wires and tucked them behind my motherboard. There should be a small space between the side of your case and the structure your motherboard is secured to. Then I used electrical tape to prevent anything from moving. (getto, but it works)

If that is not possible try wrapping the wires up in a pen and pulling the pen out. You are then left with a tight curl that is easier to move and takes up less space.

If you do this leave the connector heads themselves out of that area. Too risky if one of the connectors hits a metal contact and shorts out your mobo.
August 7, 2006 12:46:12 PM

Hey Shin,
Sib has a good idea about rewiring the whole case. By that I think it means if you do it this way, you will be more able to plan exactly WHERE each wire will go. The reason for this, is that other wires won't get in the way when your tucking things here and there.

When I was wiring n modding my rig a few months ago when I was building it, the case was empty right? Well that way I was able to add the hardware one piece at a time and hide the wires as I went along. You can adapt the same approach. REmove all the wires, then re-attach each one and hide them appropriately. Now when I open the side panel of my rig, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WIRES that ipede airflow around my SLI 7900's or my GPU. My airflow is as free flowing as the wind "ma bratha" :wink:

anyway, if you need any more tips or tricks, you know where ta find us !!!

RIG specs
Antec P180 PerformanceSeries Mid-Tower Case
SeaSonic S12 600 watt power supply
Asus A8N32 SLI mobo AMD N-Force 4 SLIX16 (bios 1103 V02.58)
RealTek 97 onboard digital 5.1 Surround
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core, 2 X 1mb L2 cache (AMD driver 1.3.1.0 w/MS hotfix & AMD Dual Core Optimizer)
2 gigs of Corsair TwinX3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG Tech 7900 GT OC 256mb in SLI (nvidia driver 91.31)
Western Digital RAPTOR 74.3 gig 10-K rpm HDD for XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for gaming, movies, MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for document backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX 500watts
August 7, 2006 5:02:47 PM

I feel your pain.....i just put a True Power 550 in and this was the first time i dealt with a power supply like this.......like you said, sooooo many possibilites ....and you have to love the 1-2 page manual that doesn't say anything.
August 7, 2006 5:53:47 PM

LOL Yes I know. CAn they provide....maybe color pictures with manual? I mean, they gotta consider that there are nubs out there who trying to run! I just RMAed my videocard cuz I played with it and scratched lol

Oh well Thanks everyone for the advices. So far, I got those power connections(big ones with 4 holes) laying right below the DVDROM, other connnections, I haven't done anything cuz I don't know if I need it in the future.
Thanks everyone! Have a great day!
August 7, 2006 6:20:27 PM

All those excess wries and what to do with them is why I plan to get a modular psu next time. Then I can install what I need and put the rest aside, rather than have them cluttering up the case for no good reason.
August 7, 2006 6:47:47 PM

Quote:
All those excess wries and what to do with them is why I plan to get a modular psu next time. Then I can install what I need and put the rest aside, rather than have them cluttering up the case for no good reason.

Don't get an Ultra Modular psu. The 500w that just died on me this week on my main computer is terrible for wiring. The cables are too thick, I ended up using every plug it had, and it isn't all that pretty having 6-7 1/2" thick cables snaking through the comp. They hardly bend at all, limiting your wiring options to just about zero.
August 7, 2006 7:08:27 PM

I've mainly been thinking toward an Enermax or Hyper. But it will be a year or so before my next build, so some other company might come along with something better in that time period. No rush on my part.
August 7, 2006 7:38:21 PM

CUT ALL THE WIRES YOU DON'T NEED OFF!!!!

That would actually work... as long as they don't touch anything else and short-circuit your whole computer. Either way, Zip-Ties are your friends. I don't know if your case has these, but some of the cases I worked in have support beams running around, so you could ziptie the cables to the support beams and then to your devices. Hides the wires and makes sure they won't move around. The last thing you want is a wire hitting a fan and smell puffs of smoke from your comp...

If you don't have zip-ties, you know what they say about Duct Tape. =)
August 8, 2006 12:41:28 AM

Zip ties and velcro wraps are perfect for bunching wires. Once you have a bunch, empty drive bays are the perfect place to stash unused wires for maximum room.
August 8, 2006 1:27:50 AM

Quote:
Don't get an Ultra Modular psu. The 500w that just died on me this week on my main computer is terrible for wiring. The cables are too thick, I ended up using every plug it had, and it isn't all that pretty having 6-7 1/2" thick cables snaking through the comp. They hardly bend at all, limiting your wiring options to just about zero.

I agree with you on that. If you work the wires a bit they become a lot more flexible but the X2 Connect cables are great and (though not modular) since they can all be bunched into a tiny package, you can hide the extra that you dont need very easily.
August 8, 2006 1:29:59 AM

Arent zip ties those metal wires wrapped in paper you use for bread bags and stuff?
August 8, 2006 2:27:29 AM

Quote:
Arent zip ties those metal wires wrapped in paper you use for bread bags and stuff?

No. Those are called twist ties, and I wouldn't recommend putting any uninsulated metal objects inside of your computer. :lol: 
August 8, 2006 2:36:15 AM

Haha, my case looks much cleaner right now.
Another question, I have the...3 pin(you call it female? one that you push the other end into?) black and blue cable? What is it? I looked at manual but can't find any info.
August 8, 2006 5:34:30 AM

Quote:
Haha, my case looks much cleaner right now.
Another question, I have the...3 pin(you call it female? one that you push the other end into?) black and blue cable? What is it? I looked at manual but can't find any info.

Er. . . coming from the power supply itself? If so that is the power supply's fan connector, there should be a 3 pin fan header on your motherboard.

If you are having trouble locating the header, your motherboard's manual should have a diagram indicating where/what all of its connections are.
August 8, 2006 1:47:05 PM

Ahhhh! Thanks dude..... i have the same blue/black connector dangling, it's the only one I have left that I wasn't sure where it went but you're right, now that you mention it, it is a fan type connector..... now, gotta open the case again :)  ....
August 8, 2006 1:53:19 PM

modular cabling.
August 8, 2006 2:32:13 PM

Screw that.. the best way to hide cables is to build a mini stargate and mount it inside your case. Then hide any unused cables into a different universe. You may also install some barb wire to prevent any aliens from stealing your power. :lol: 
August 8, 2006 2:40:17 PM

Forget about zip ties and twist ties!! Pipe cleaners are where it's at!! :p 
!