sharing internet

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I have set up a network in my office but I am a bit confussed as to what the
dns address should be. I have the network working ok and have set the dns
address at the moment to the same address as the server. I have a broadband
connection but am unable to share the internet and i think this is to do with
the dns?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 02:53:02 -0700, "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have set up a network in my office but I am a bit confussed as to what the
>dns address should be. I have the network working ok and have set the dns
>address at the moment to the same address as the server. I have a broadband
>connection but am unable to share the internet and i think this is to do with
>the dns?
>Does anyone have any suggestions?

Implement NAT on the server, tip 4316 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

> I have set up a network in my office but I am a bit confussed as to what
the
> dns address should be. I have the network working ok and have set the dns
> address at the moment to the same address as the server. I have a
broadband
> connection but am unable to share the internet and i think this is to do
with
> the dns?
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Steve,

Assuming the problem is dns related, and you are not sure of what address to
use as your dns server, I can think of a few ways forward:

1. if you are using a router to share your internet connection then I would
expect that you could use your router as your DNS server.

2. your broadband provider will have published some dns servers. If you look
on their homepage, possibly under support, then you should eventually be
able to find the ip address of a couple of dns servers. Use those (although
your router would be better).

3. you can use your server, in which case you must set up a dns server on
it. If its got active directory then its probably already got a dns server.

you may already know this, but to test whether dns is working, start up a
new command session and type:

nslookup www.cryer.co.uk

if this doesn't come back with 80.189.92.38, 80.189.94.38 then your dns
isn't working. You can explicitly specify a dns server, eg:

nslookup www.cryer.co.uk 209.81.157.1

209.81.157.1 is a public dns server, which I think you should be able to use
from anywhere, but you can use the above substituting the ip or your server,
your router or other dns server just to check that dns is working. (Don't
use that as your dns server, use your isp's dns - the reason is that you
will get lower latency if you use your isp's dns servers.)

The other thing which might be causing you a problem - although you haven't
mentioned it, is whether you have the default gateway set to point to your
router. This is also important if you want to share your network connection.

For instance, if your "nslookup www.cryer.co.uk 209.81.157.1" fails, then
can you successfully ping or tracert to 209.81.157.1.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian