viewing screen horizontally on the PPC?

December 22, 2004 6:21:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

ok, this might be a silly questions, but other than installing a third party
software to manage a screen on a PPC (HP ipaq 6315... MS windows mobile
2003) is there a way to change the screen setting to view it horizontally?
this should be like a very basic setting... yet I can't find it anywhere.
help
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 22, 2004 6:21:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

You might think it should be basic, but the capability has only recently
been built into the OS. It started being a feature in Windows Mobile 2003
Second Edition. The 6315, while a new device, runs the first edition and HP
has indicated they do not intend to provide an upgrade. Your only option is
a third party program, such as Nyditot.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> ok, this might be a silly questions, but other than installing a third
party
> software to manage a screen on a PPC (HP ipaq 6315... MS windows mobile
> 2003) is there a way to change the screen setting to view it horizontally?
> this should be like a very basic setting... yet I can't find it anywhere.
> help

December 23, 2004 5:03:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

yikes :( ( any other application other than the Virtual Display from
Nyditot?

on a side note I just posted that question again (unnecessarily) sorry.

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You might think it should be basic, but the capability has only recently
> been built into the OS. It started being a feature in Windows Mobile 2003
> Second Edition. The 6315, while a new device, runs the first edition and
> HP
> has indicated they do not intend to provide an upgrade. Your only option
> is
> a third party program, such as Nyditot.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> ok, this might be a silly questions, but other than installing a third
> party
>> software to manage a screen on a PPC (HP ipaq 6315... MS windows mobile
>> 2003) is there a way to change the screen setting to view it
>> horizontally?
>> this should be like a very basic setting... yet I can't find it anywhere.
>> help

a b α HP
December 23, 2004 6:19:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

There is DotPocket http://www.dotpocket.com/ and there used to by Jimmysoft
Landscape. I haven't tried DotPocket and haven't seen Jimmysoft for quite a
while. Not sure it ever supported WM2003, though it was quite popular in the
2002 day.

To be honest I don't think you are missing much not going landscape. Several
programs for which it is appropriate already do it, Media Player, most
picture viewers, Adobe reader, many games. For PIE, if you go to mobile
versions of sites they tend to be formatted with portrait in mind. Lots of
folks expect Excel to be better in Landscape, but I get 3 x12 (36) cells in
portrait and 4 x 7 (28) cells in landscape. Pop up the keyboard and
portrait is 3 x 7, while landscape is 4 x 2.

--
> yikes :( ( any other application other than the Virtual Display from
> Nyditot?
>
> on a side note I just posted that question again (unnecessarily) sorry.
>

> "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > You might think it should be basic, but the capability has only recently
> > been built into the OS. It started being a feature in Windows Mobile
2003
> > Second Edition. The 6315, while a new device, runs the first edition and
> > HP
> > has indicated they do not intend to provide an upgrade. Your only option
> > is
> > a third party program, such as Nyditot.
> >
> > --
> > Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> > "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> ok, this might be a silly questions, but other than installing a third
> > party
> >> software to manage a screen on a PPC (HP ipaq 6315... MS windows mobile
> >> 2003) is there a way to change the screen setting to view it
> >> horizontally?
> >> this should be like a very basic setting... yet I can't find it
anywhere.
> >> help

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 19, 2005 10:31:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Sven
I use iPaq 6365 with version 2k3. How to change settings to landscape?
Internet explorer would be one app that would become easier to view on
landscape.
MSP

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" wrote:

> There is DotPocket http://www.dotpocket.com/ and there used to by Jimmysoft
> Landscape. I haven't tried DotPocket and haven't seen Jimmysoft for quite a
> while. Not sure it ever supported WM2003, though it was quite popular in the
> 2002 day.
>
> To be honest I don't think you are missing much not going landscape. Several
> programs for which it is appropriate already do it, Media Player, most
> picture viewers, Adobe reader, many games. For PIE, if you go to mobile
> versions of sites they tend to be formatted with portrait in mind. Lots of
> folks expect Excel to be better in Landscape, but I get 3 x12 (36) cells in
> portrait and 4 x 7 (28) cells in landscape. Pop up the keyboard and
> portrait is 3 x 7, while landscape is 4 x 2.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > yikes :( ( any other application other than the Virtual Display from
> > Nyditot?
> >
> > on a side note I just posted that question again (unnecessarily) sorry.
> >

> > "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > You might think it should be basic, but the capability has only recently
> > > been built into the OS. It started being a feature in Windows Mobile
> 2003
> > > Second Edition. The 6315, while a new device, runs the first edition and
> > > HP
> > > has indicated they do not intend to provide an upgrade. Your only option
> > > is
> > > a third party program, such as Nyditot.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> > > "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > party
> anywhere.

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 19, 2005 1:15:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

if it's 2003sp2 it will be in the start/settings/system/screen applet...
if not, there are several third party utilities that allow this...
google for POCKETPC LANDSCAPE

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 19, 2005 7:57:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

The answers below stand, before WM2003 Second Edition, which the 6300 series
is not and will not be, you are stuck with third party programs. Nyditot is
the only real survivor in the rotator wars.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"MSP" <MSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sven
> I use iPaq 6365 with version 2k3. How to change settings to landscape?
> Internet explorer would be one app that would become easier to view on
> landscape.
> MSP
>
> "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" wrote:
>
>> There is DotPocket http://www.dotpocket.com/ and there used to by
>> Jimmysoft
>> Landscape. I haven't tried DotPocket and haven't seen Jimmysoft for quite
>> while. Not sure it ever supported WM2003, though it was quite popular in
>> the
>> 2002 day.
>>
>> To be honest I don't think you are missing much not going landscape.
>> Several
>> programs for which it is appropriate already do it, Media Player, most
>> picture viewers, Adobe reader, many games. For PIE, if you go to mobile
>> versions of sites they tend to be formatted with portrait in mind. Lots
>> of
>> folks expect Excel to be better in Landscape, but I get 3 x12 (36) cells
>> in
>> portrait and 4 x 7 (28) cells in landscape. Pop up the keyboard and
>> portrait is 3 x 7, while landscape is 4 x 2.
>>
>> --
>> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
>> "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > yikes :( ( any other application other than the Virtual Display from
>> > Nyditot?
>> >
>> > on a side note I just posted that question again (unnecessarily) sorry.
>> >

>> > "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> 2003

>> anywhere.

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 20, 2005 4:36:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Sven/ Beverly
Thanks for your answers. Under settings -> screen it just provides alignment
option.
Have downloaded trial version of Nyditot and would buy, if easy to work with.
Do you have any other suggestions on 3rd party utilities for iPaq 6365?
regards
MSP

"Sven" wrote:

> The answers below stand, before WM2003 Second Edition, which the 6300 series
> is not and will not be, you are stuck with third party programs. Nyditot is
> the only real survivor in the rotator wars.
>
> --
> Sven
> MVP - Mobile Devices
> "MSP" <MSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sven
> > I use iPaq 6365 with version 2k3. How to change settings to landscape?
> > Internet explorer would be one app that would become easier to view on
> > landscape.
> > MSP
> >
> > "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" wrote:
> >
> >> There is DotPocket http://www.dotpocket.com/ and there used to by
> >> Jimmysoft
> >> Landscape. I haven't tried DotPocket and haven't seen Jimmysoft for quite
> >> while. Not sure it ever supported WM2003, though it was quite popular in
> >> the
> >> 2002 day.
> >>
> >> To be honest I don't think you are missing much not going landscape.
> >> Several
> >> programs for which it is appropriate already do it, Media Player, most
> >> picture viewers, Adobe reader, many games. For PIE, if you go to mobile
> >> versions of sites they tend to be formatted with portrait in mind. Lots
> >> of
> >> folks expect Excel to be better in Landscape, but I get 3 x12 (36) cells
> >> in
> >> portrait and 4 x 7 (28) cells in landscape. Pop up the keyboard and
> >> portrait is 3 x 7, while landscape is 4 x 2.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> >> "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> 2003

> >> anywhere.

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 20, 2005 8:15:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Sven
Now I've installed Nyditot. Still need to get used to it. what is the best
resolution to use with landscape? I almost got stuck, when the numeric pad
did not show completely to put my switch-on password.
regards
MSP
PS: Any other good 3rd party software for iPaq. Another problem area is
ringer sound. Have tried making oldphone loudest using GoldWave, but still
endup missing calls when at home.

"MSP" wrote:

> Sven/ Beverly
> Thanks for your answers. Under settings -> screen it just provides alignment
> option.
> Have downloaded trial version of Nyditot and would buy, if easy to work with.
> Do you have any other suggestions on 3rd party utilities for iPaq 6365?
> regards
> MSP
>
> "Sven" wrote:
>
> > The answers below stand, before WM2003 Second Edition, which the 6300 series
> > is not and will not be, you are stuck with third party programs. Nyditot is
> > the only real survivor in the rotator wars.
> >
> > --
> > Sven
> > MVP - Mobile Devices
> > "MSP" <MSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Sven
> > > I use iPaq 6365 with version 2k3. How to change settings to landscape?
> > > Internet explorer would be one app that would become easier to view on
> > > landscape.
> > > MSP

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 21, 2005 12:37:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

As far as I understand, a soft reset will unload Nyditot, so the password
issue can be resolved. There was a time when some of the rotate options
weren't so kind and folks wound up hard resetting to get back to normal.
Hard lesson.

I don't use Nyditot myself, so I can't give you any great insight. I just
know it exists and is about the only thing that is even marginally stable,
from all reports.

For third party stuff, if you don't mind paying there is www.handango.com.
They have a great variety. If you want to be frugal
http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=524 if it comes up in
French, just hit the British flag...unless you like French.

There's much more, but those should keep you busy.

--
> Sven
> Now I've installed Nyditot. Still need to get used to it. what is the best
> resolution to use with landscape? I almost got stuck, when the numeric pad
> did not show completely to put my switch-on password.
> regards
> MSP
> PS: Any other good 3rd party software for iPaq. Another problem area is
> ringer sound. Have tried making oldphone loudest using GoldWave, but still
> endup missing calls when at home.
>
> "MSP" wrote:
>
>> Sven/ Beverly
>> Thanks for your answers. Under settings -> screen it just provides
>> alignment
>> option.
>> Have downloaded trial version of Nyditot and would buy, if easy to work
>> with.
>> Do you have any other suggestions on 3rd party utilities for iPaq 6365?
>> regards
>> MSP
>>
>> "Sven" wrote:
>>
>> > The answers below stand, before WM2003 Second Edition, which the 6300
>> > series
>> > is not and will not be, you are stuck with third party programs.
>> > Nyditot is
>> > the only real survivor in the rotator wars.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Sven
>> > MVP - Mobile Devices
>> > "MSP" <MSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 21, 2005 7:07:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Sven
Nyditot is also working now. It has this neat dot displayed that when tapped
allows me to keep switching modes without softboot. Real cool....
Thanks. :-)

"Sven" wrote:

> As far as I understand, a soft reset will unload Nyditot, so the password
> issue can be resolved. There was a time when some of the rotate options
> weren't so kind and folks wound up hard resetting to get back to normal.
> Hard lesson.
>
> I don't use Nyditot myself, so I can't give you any great insight. I just
> know it exists and is about the only thing that is even marginally stable,
> from all reports.
>
> For third party stuff, if you don't mind paying there is www.handango.com.
> They have a great variety. If you want to be frugal
> http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=524 if it comes up in
> French, just hit the British flag...unless you like French.
>
> There's much more, but those should keep you busy.
>
> --
> Sven
> MVP - Mobile Devices
> "MSP" <MSP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sven
> > Now I've installed Nyditot. Still need to get used to it. what is the best
> > resolution to use with landscape? I almost got stuck, when the numeric pad
> > did not show completely to put my switch-on password.
> > regards
> > MSP
> > PS: Any other good 3rd party software for iPaq. Another problem area is
> > ringer sound. Have tried making oldphone loudest using GoldWave, but still
> > endup missing calls when at home.
> >
> > "MSP" wrote:
> >
> >> Sven/ Beverly
> >> Thanks for your answers. Under settings -> screen it just provides
> >> alignment
> >> option.
> >> Have downloaded trial version of Nyditot and would buy, if easy to work
> >> with.
> >> Do you have any other suggestions on 3rd party utilities for iPaq 6365?
> >> regards
> >> MSP

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 22, 2005 4:07:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Some observations working with 2003se rotated screen on pocketpc-phone
edition also using built in keyboard nav keys

no recalibration necessary

navigation pad toggles to new orientation

keypad navigation arrows do not toggle to new orientation

navigation pad scrolls screen at a time

keypad l/r arrows scroll smoothly (a few pixels at a time)

keypad up/dn arrows seem to scroll link to link

Top bar icons are scrambled... some accessable some not

Top bar contains non functional remains of sip input icon

Phone signal icon inaccessable to toggle phone on/off

Hope this info is useful.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!