Exchange Server 5.5. to new domain and new server

Robert

I have Exchange 5.5. running on a domain controller in our network
environment. The domain controller is one of two. Currently all our users
connect to the exchange 5.5. using their nt accounts to pick up mail and view
calendars etc. It is a window 2000 domain.

I am planning to creating a completely new domain, that is the name of the
domain will be different. Also, I want to move it to a Windows 2003 domain.

I have created my windows 2003 domain controller. The first domain in the
new forest. So far so good. I want to some how demote the current domain
controller holding Exch 5.5 to a regular server, and join it to the new
domain (2003). I want to preserve the exch 5.5 and all the mailboxes but I am
worried that I will loose the link between the old nt accounts that they are
attached to with the old domain, and I won't be able to link them to the new
ones.

Has anyone done anything like this before.

Is it possible to backup exhange server 5.5 and restore it on a new server
and change the parameters somehow. Like the domain and the user accounts each
mailbox/profile is linked to?

I am a novice with Exchange so please be explicit with your replies. Any
help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Hi Robert,

I'm by NO means an expert in Exchange nor DC, but have you read the
following article?

275127 XADM: How to Configure Exchange Server 5.5 to Run on a Domain
Controller
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=275127

Hope this helps,
Mike Rosado
Windows 2000 MCSE + MCDBA
Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
Windows NT/2000/2003 Cluster Technologies

<http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>