Sign in with
Your question

Weird Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 7, 2006 3:41:04 AM

I have an ATI x800 and randomly while playing games my game will freeze then I recieve a black screen. After a few seconds of having the black screen my monitor on/off LED will start to blink like it has no connection to the Video card. My sound which has continued to play sounds from the game normally will freak out and make this really loud noise. At this point I am forced to restart my computer.

I thought it might be a driver issue so I uninstalled my drivers, used driver cleaner and reinstalled the drivers but the problem presists.

I also checked my temperature thinking it may be an overheating issue but I monitored my temp while playing games and it only seemed to reach a high of 72C I thought one time I saw it jump to 83C my I think I was mistaken.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong with my card?

More about : weird problem

August 7, 2006 4:20:06 AM

Temps or PSU.....check em, and check em well.
August 7, 2006 4:56:24 AM

How do I go about checking my PSU?

Also is it weird that it only happens in some games??

It would never happens with WoW or CS:S, but it will happen with BF2 sometimes with WC3 like no other.

I also am going to do a bunch of temp checks here shortly, at what temp should I beworried that my card is overheating?
Related resources
August 7, 2006 5:49:09 AM

Dude :) 

Let's hope that you don't have 70-80 deg C vid card temps! If you see 60 deg C Vid card temps you should consider (no hesitation!) getting an after-market cooler ... something that cools both GPU AND memory. :D 
August 7, 2006 7:22:32 AM

Graphic cards can get a lot hotter than 60C.
I have a nVidia 6600GT which reaches 80C+ under full load. (in the driver panel, I see the threshold temperature to be 127C).
So most video cards run a lot hotter than CPUs.
Don't worry about that 70C for your card.

For your problem I suspect the PSU. Or maybe the power connector for your video card (if there is any).
August 7, 2006 7:46:58 AM

maybe this is stupid but have you updated your drivers not just reinstalled the old ones
sorry if you did this and i missed it
August 7, 2006 8:33:06 PM

Quote:
maybe this is stupid but have you updated your drivers not just reinstalled the old ones
sorry if you did this and i missed it

Yeah I am updated do the newest drivers.

Also anyone have any idea how I can test the PSU?
August 7, 2006 11:17:38 PM

Quote:
Let's hope that you don't have 70-80 deg C vid card temps! If you see 60 deg C Vid card temps you should consider (no hesitation!) getting an after-market cooler

I hate to burst your bubble, brother, but you are in error. High temps depend on the brand and model. All cards run at different temps and heat up differently. Moreover, removing the stock cooler and replacing it with an aftermarket one is not really a great idea unless you are very good at this sort of thing and know what you are doing.

As for vid card's temps, I've had an eGeForce 6800 Ultra for close to three years now (not overclocked). It idles at 61C. Under load it can go as high as 85C. Not a problem though since its overheating warning is set in the driver by default at 115C :!: In other words I will not even get a warning that the card is overheating even if its temp goes to 114C. So, there.

In reply to the original poster, it is not your video card temperature:

Believe it or not, I once had a problem similar to yours because of a corrupted SoundBlaster driver... If this does not help, read on.

1. Since the problem occurs only in a few games try uninstalling the games completely and deleting the directories where they were installed followed by reinstallation of the games.

2. If (1) does not help, try to defrag your hard drives AND

3. Set a fixed size swap file (read up on this. The size of the swap file will depend on the amount of RAM you have). If you have more than one hard drive then set your (fixed size) swap file on the secondary hard drive.

However,

4. It may be your

- CPU temperature; OR
- Motherboard temperature; OR
- Both.

To check, go into your BIOS and find the PC Health section. Monitor your idle temps in the BIOS for 10-15 minutes. See if they fluctuate. Acceptable idle temps for CPU and PWM are up to 54C. While 54C is higher than desired, it is not the end of the world but anything greater than that and you are in trouble (While you are at it, also monitor youir voltages. Note if they fluctuate widely. If they do, you have a power supply problem and you likely need to replace your power supply.)

If your temps are all over the place, in this section you can monitor speeds of your CPU and system fans. See if the fans rotate at steady speeds free of major fluctuations.

Additionally, see if the fans are set to throttle (spin slower or faster depending on CPU temps). If the throttling is enabled, disable it. This will force your fans to always spin at their maximum speed maximizing cooling at all times. This is important because if your fans are slow to react to the throttling function then your CPU and motherboard may be overheating under heavy load. Keep in mind that WoW is not nearly as demanding as BF2.)

Finally, some motherboards have PWM fans. See if yours has it and wheather the fan works. Overheating PWM will cause your symptoms as well. PWM is probably the hottest part of any motherboard and its tolerance to high temps is much lower than your CPU's, for example.

5. You may also have a problem with your RAM. Download and run MemTest.
!