New Rig.. am I a fool not ot OC, or is it good as stands...

bitsbytesandboolean

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Hi all,

I have a AMD 3800 x2 system. I will spare all the deatails but tell you that it idles at 29-30C and I have only seen it up to 36C while playing HL-2 for long time.

It seems like the chip is really cool in my system. I feel like I should over-clock it, but am wondering if it's going to be much a difference for the risk I am taking by pushing the chip. Right now it's at stock settings.

I guess I am looking for opionion, is it worth overclocking? or should I just let it go as is?

Looking forward to your input - thx.

NEO3

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
For games...I dont think there's a "need" for the overclock.
Your graphic card is doing most of the job there.
Oc is better if you like to use heavy task such as renders, encoding/ripping... when all the processing power is at use. Then you'll see a dif. in time consumed.

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
For games...I dont think there's a "need" for the overclock.
Your graphic card is doing most of the job there.
Oc is better if you like to use heavy task such as renders, encoding/ripping... when all the processing power is at use. Then you'll see a dif. in time consumed.

Well said.

But, if you feel like bragging to your friends about a clock speed higher than 2Ghz, than you might want to overclock. If you like encoding crap, running server software (I mean heavy server software, such as SRCDS or another game server) you might want to possibly overclock. I know when I get my X2 4200+ I will probably overclock, but I'll have to see how well it is at stock first.