Windows 7 Installation from USB 3.0 Stick

kfitzenreiter

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Hello everyone!

I currently install windows 7 from a usb stick. This is a standard usb 2.0 flash drive and it works very well. I'd estimate a total time of maybe 9-13 minutes to install windows 7 from scratch. Not too bad, in my humble opinion.

But USB 3.0 is here! I want to install from the new USB architechture, but at 3.0 speed.

Would I install usb 3.0 drivers from the initial starup screen where you would load raid or sata drivers? Or do I have to alter the installation media in some manner?

Any help would be appreciated.

kfitzenreiter

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
The motherboard natively has USB 3.0 on it.

But I don't believe Windows 7 natively supports it, drivers or otherwise. Therefore wouldn't I have to load the drivers to get the USB 3.0 speed from the installation media???

kfitzenreiter

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

I want to actually Install windows from the USB 3.0 drive, not just access it after windows is installed.

My fear is it won't recognize the USB 3.0 as installation media the way it currently does my usb 2.0 drive.

If you plan to use the existing USB2 stick, then you will see no speed gains, as USB3 will just fall abck to USB2 mode, you will have to purchase a new USB3 stick to get speed gain.

Windows will normally not recognise a USB3 port until the drivers are install, not until say SP2 or you could integrate the drivers into your own WIM before dumping it to the stick.