Sign in with
Your question

Intel's paper launch tricked us all

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 7, 2006 10:11:21 AM

A short rant --

I bought a new case, overpriced motherboard (P5b Deluxe/Wi-fi, did like the wi-fi though,) and power supply for a new system. Originally I had planned to just get a cheap AMD, or at least really do a price/performance analysis and then see but the hype over Conroe suckered me in.

So now I have sunk costs (the mobo) and can't get out. I wouldn't have started building except I am overseas and needed a new computer (my big ol' tower case will be shipped and that will take a month or two) so this launch came at a perfect time for me, or at least, I thought.

At least I have not plunked down the money on the graphics card, RAM or HD yet.

But screw Intel, really. This has all been a brilliant marketing strategy designed to hurt AMD. They've had their cake and eat it too - hype your chip through your lackey "hardware review" fansites, but solve your inventory problems and hurt AMD by not shipping anything for months. How's that work? Simple - the longer we wait for Conroe to actually ship instead of buying AMD the more problems AMD will have with cash-flow. Even if AMD has 4x4 out in January, if you upgraded to Conroe in September, the chances of another upgrade that soon are much smaller. If Conroe had actually shipped in July, you might have been tempted though. Every week Intel has you "virtually" sucked into Conroe without actually having a physical chip in your hand is a week they are kicking AMD's butt without actually having to ship any product. It's genius, really. Whoever heard of hurting your competition badly WITHOUT actually having a widely available product? It's post-modern business. It all happens in our heads - the physical product is just an afterthought.

Intel doesn't really care about losing immediate sales - they have the cash. AMD does not. With the ATI merger, Intel knows this is the time to do everything in its power to cause AMD problems. At the same time if they keep inventories down they will be better off in the long-run. They can bank on people buying Conroe, they have suckered us in. AMD can not bank on anything right now and cannot do what Intel is doing - carefully planning revenue and cash-flow over the next 3 years because they are now on the defensive.

The bottom line is Intel is more interested in hurting AMD than in serving their customers. What's worse is that Conroe IS a good chip, and is a leap forward. But a chip you can't buy is no better than a chip on the drawing board.
August 7, 2006 10:20:10 AM

Mine arrived 5 minutes ago, about to start assembling. Sorry you are having problems.
August 7, 2006 12:25:53 PM

How is it a paper launch? Are you not able to get it online? Many people are getting Core 2 Duo's from TigerDirect.com.

I don't think Intel is paper-launching to hurt AMD. Don't forget, Intel needs to sell off it's old inventory too.

When I order hardware I order it all at once. Never would I buy a motherboard, wait a month, buy the video card, wait a month, etc... The parts are useless until you have all of them.
Related resources
August 7, 2006 12:56:28 PM

wasint core 2 duo should of been here today the 8/7/06 and least that what zipzoomfly was saygin when is the next day?
a c 159 à CPUs
August 7, 2006 1:02:11 PM

Paper launch? No. Fry's has the e6400 with Intel board in a boxed set for $499 today. I won't pay that much, but alot of folks will.
August 7, 2006 1:11:25 PM

Yeah, well, find me a 6600. Anywhere.

New Egg has nothing. Fry's might have them - if you live near one - but outpost.com does not. Clubit is out. ShopBLT shows delivery on the 16th for one shipment, and I really don't trust that info - they already showed arrival dates last Friday, so it's false advertising.
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2006 1:15:09 PM

I wouldn't call this a paper launch, or a marketing strategy. What I would call it is a normal ramp up of a new architecture. If memory serves me, when the A64/FX released there weren't very many of them. Being first to have a consumer desktop 64 bit CPU (Apple doesn't count nor does Alpha) on the market made them very desirable to the bleeding edge crowd. This made availability pretty scarce to start off. It was worse for the A64 because it takes AMD longer to re-tool their fabs than it does Intel. I read somewhere that Intel is projecting that by the end of the year a quarter of their output will be Core 2. To some that may sound like a small percentage. Consider the total output of Intels fabs, also the Core 2 output is competing with the huge number of mobile CPU's that Intel sells. In short by November / December there will be a glut of Core 2 just in time for Christmas. Most early adopters / enthusiasts will have their CPU's my late August. If the side effect of all this is that it is hurting AMD, I'm sure Intel is drafting a letter of apology as we speak. This is business not a marriage.
August 7, 2006 1:23:28 PM

Not a paper launch.
They admitted there would be limited availability at launch.
It is not unusual for there to be shortages the 1st quarter of a launch.

Now, The Dell XPS 700.
That is a paper launch.

They should be lucky they are not being sued buy other vendors who they are stealing sales from by offering products they do not intend to sell.
I would also demand a % rebate from Dell.

Sorry, you cant sell me a computer at one price and then ship it 6-12months later and call it even. It's just not CPUs that are changing.
Its Video cards, hard-drives, and other accessories.

I suspect they offered it at a low price and decided to hold the orders until the price of parts slipped enough that it was economical to build.

Fraudulant if you ask me.
(Note: I do buy from Dell because they are inexpensive. But that does not make their XPS move an honest one.)
August 7, 2006 1:36:19 PM

right now the only thing is get it oem on tigerdirect they said it will come the 10th so i will wait.

I could of got it the first day on tigerdirect but i ws talking to this guy and he said its worth waiting a week and get the 3 year warranty but now i see its not going to be a weak it will be 3 and i have ordered all my other parts.
August 7, 2006 1:45:00 PM

I agree with you 100% was a good paper launch.

& if the situations werereversed the intel fanboyz would be saying the same thing about AMD,,,, funny sh!t isint it?

It was brilliant move by intel, & AMD was stupid to fall prey but we all benefit so be happy.
August 7, 2006 1:47:37 PM

Quote:
A short rant --

I bought a new case, overpriced motherboard (P5b Deluxe/Wi-fi, did like the wi-fi though,) and power supply for a new system. Originally I had planned to just get a cheap AMD, or at least really do a price/performance analysis and then see but the hype over Conroe suckered me in.

So now I have sunk costs (the mobo) and can't get out. I wouldn't have started building except I am overseas and needed a new computer (my big ol' tower case will be shipped and that will take a month or two) so this launch came at a perfect time for me, or at least, I thought.

At least I have not plunked down the money on the graphics card, RAM or HD yet.

But screw Intel, really. This has all been a brilliant marketing strategy designed to hurt AMD. They've had their cake and eat it too - hype your chip through your lackey "hardware review" fansites, but solve your inventory problems and hurt AMD by not shipping anything for months. How's that work? Simple - the longer we wait for Conroe to actually ship instead of buying AMD the more problems AMD will have with cash-flow. Even if AMD has 4x4 out in January, if you upgraded to Conroe in September, the chances of another upgrade that soon are much smaller. If Conroe had actually shipped in July, you might have been tempted though. Every week Intel has you "virtually" sucked into Conroe without actually having a physical chip in your hand is a week they are kicking AMD's butt without actually having to ship any product. It's genius, really. Whoever heard of hurting your competition badly WITHOUT actually having a widely available product? It's post-modern business. It all happens in our heads - the physical product is just an afterthought.

Intel doesn't really care about losing immediate sales - they have the cash. AMD does not. With the ATI merger, Intel knows this is the time to do everything in its power to cause AMD problems. At the same time if they keep inventories down they will be better off in the long-run. They can bank on people buying Conroe, they have suckered us in. AMD can not bank on anything right now and cannot do what Intel is doing - carefully planning revenue and cash-flow over the next 3 years because they are now on the defensive.

The bottom line is Intel is more interested in hurting AMD than in serving their customers. What's worse is that Conroe IS a good chip, and is a leap forward. But a chip you can't buy is no better than a chip on the drawing board.

I for one completely agree with you. Tigerdirect has them, but no one notices that they don't ship shortly after purchase. They take at least a week. That tells me that the Conroes aren't in the warehouse in plentiful supply. Besides Tigerdirect, the only other place I have seen selling them is ZipZoomFly. They sell out within a half hour of gettting a new shipment.
And yes, there are a lot of people on these forums that have their Conroes, but compare that small percentage to every consumer out there who can't get their Conroes. I can't even imagine the ratio there.
August 7, 2006 1:51:24 PM

Quote:
I agree with you 100% was a good paper launch.

& if the situations werereversed the intel fanboyz would be saying the same thing about AMD,,,, funny sh!t isint it?

It was brilliant move by intel, & AMD was stupid to fall prey but we all benefit so be happy.

You mean, like the new Energy Efficient X2s? I hear there are about a dozen of them around.
August 7, 2006 1:52:00 PM

I lawled just a bit.
People have them.
At least 10 people on here have already built systems.
You shouldn't have bought your board already.
Unless it was some spectacular limited time deal.
I don't see why you can't buy/find a conroe.
Unless maybe none of these resellers will ship to whichever country your in.
In which case that's not really Intel's fault.
I bought one of the first A64's.
They were hard to find.
I bought mine on one of the first sites offering them.
Before most my friends had even heard of them.
Wasn't until a month or 3 later until they were available really.
Is intel out to hurt AMD? Yes but that's good business.
August 7, 2006 1:55:06 PM

What exactly is a paper launch?

Intel has launched Core 2s, yes they are shipping them; but yeah, the amount shipped is less compared to the huge demand.

Maybe Intel themselves underestimated the hype around Core 2s, which they themselves built up.

But Intel had never said that it would be 100% Core 2s from September onwards, and it was expected that most of the Core 2s would go to the OEMs.
August 7, 2006 2:01:22 PM

Yup!
You just proved my point.
August 7, 2006 2:07:00 PM

It sure is disapointing to see lots of OEM stuff floating around instead of retail boxes... oh well, lets hope this will change in 1-2 weeks,
August 7, 2006 2:12:01 PM

ok so where could i order a conroe to get it by mabye this week or another ?I dont care right now OEM or not.I bought my parts and i am pissed because i called zipzoomfly friday and the guy said"YES SIR WE WILL HAVE CORE 2 DUP E6600 ON 8/7/06"So i was happy and i bought the parts exept the board because i wasint that stuped i wanted to see if 590 sli will come out until 8/7/06.

Plz tell me where can you get the e6600 and a p5w deluxe board right now what store?
August 7, 2006 2:32:30 PM

You ever end up picking one up? Maybe you can clarify for the rest that this wasn't a paper launch? (I jumped the gun myself with the same assumptions at first).

Tigerdirect still shows inventory.
August 7, 2006 2:36:52 PM

Buy.com is not a trustworthy retailer - they don't even have a customer service number. I would never order anything from there. No way to verify whether they have it or not. Tiger is only selling OEMs at retail prices. Sorry, I need the fan, and I don't want to pay extra for a third-party cooling solution. Paying retail prices plus a $20-40 heatsink is not a good deal.

Clubit looks like they had some 6400s this morning. I was just typing in my order for one as 15 minutes ago they still showed stock, but when I got to the checkout page it said they were no longer in stock.

Anyway, no one's addressed my main point, some are even congratulating Intel for screwing AMD at the expense of consumers. I know everyone in America identifies with CEOs because they have wet dreams of being one, but c'mon, think about your own interests for once and whether they are being served. Intel's stock price has been falling for months anyway.
August 7, 2006 2:36:52 PM

It depends a lot on one's personal definition of "paper launch". Certainly Intel could have waited longer, built up a sufficient supply and shipped in quantity. That would have been more fair to the lower quantity vendors and general customers.

Intel isn't interested in being fair, they're a business taking the low road in modern competitive marketing. In their interest they will certainly like the side benefit of their new chips delaying the otherwise inevitable AMD purchases, but we shouldn't expect them to withold information about their produce, nor keep them out of the market.

What they should have done instead is set more reasonable launch dates when there will be reasonable availability. I keep reading how Intel has made a comeback, etc and so forth but let's be realistic. Intel sells far more low end than high end chips so whey they have really made the comeback will be when the vast majority of PCs sold by HP, Dell, etc, offer more performance per $ at the low end if an Intel CPU is inside.

Otherwise, if we only care about performance at any cost, there are far too many app-specific parameters to think about beyond which CPU it is.
August 7, 2006 2:46:04 PM

Its not a matter of fair.
But a matter of the only legitimate way to do business.

As soon as they have a new product they are making and works and have enough to ship, they ship. They cant not sell the new ones until they have 1 for every person in the world who wants one. They also cant just one day toss every old processor away.

They need to sell the old ones and start making new ones.
Some lucky folks will get a new one.
Some others will have to wait or take an older one now.

Why should Intell not allow some people to get the new processors just because they dont have one for everybody. This is not 2nd grade where if you give one classmate a valentine you need to give one to everybody. And Intel seems to be fair in parsing the products. Many system builders and vendors are getting them. It's not like Dell is the only company selling them now. Simply put. Supply exceeds demand.

Not selling a product you have in your warehouse and people want is plain dumb. You ship what you have and ship what you can as soon as you can so long as you are not sacrificing quality which nobody is complaining about yet.
August 7, 2006 2:47:17 PM

Good poing but Intel could be holding back the products to create demand so prices can skyrocket & royally screw it's fanboys & loyal customers all oer again,,, & this paperlaunch is just the begining of their "EVIL MASTER PLAN" & thats business too...
August 7, 2006 2:49:02 PM

How is Intel "screwing AMD". Because they have an incredibly popular product with extremely high demand? There are places you can get a Conroe, albeit they are few, you can still get one as many on the board already have. "At the expense of customers"? Intel has forced AMD to completely revamp it's prices on it's top of the line processors. Intel could have easily introduced the C2D at comparable prices to AMD products, but they didn't, which forced AMD to cut it's prices drastically. In the end, we (the consumers) win. We can now get great processors at low prices. And next time, try buying all your hardware at the same time and save us all from your whining.
August 7, 2006 2:50:53 PM

I bet if you owned AMD you would not be feeling this way?
August 7, 2006 2:54:53 PM

Quote:

How would that make it any different? If I owned AMD, I'd probably feel hungry, just like I do now.
August 7, 2006 2:56:11 PM

Sorry, I don't view Intel as that smart.

If they were, they would have not gotten their head handed to them on a platter for the last couple of years by AMD.

Additionally, nobody doubts that AMD will respond soon with products that will either close the gap or overtake Intel. Intel is in the driver seat today, but with 65nm coming from AMD soon along with 4x4s coming with AMD having a better bus to handle the expansion, Intel could be in trouble.

So they better capitialize while they can.
AMD will not play dead.
What will be the situation in 6months? Who knows, but Intel knows the situation here in Aug and that is they are ahead for the 1st time in years.
August 7, 2006 2:56:22 PM

Then your post makes a lot of sense :lol:  hunger can do that to you. :lol: 
August 7, 2006 2:57:18 PM

Quote:

I own a Opteron 144, X2 3800+ and FX-55... And im sure as hell gonna phase out the lot of them in favor for Core 2 Duo.. Why the hell would i want to keep older and less powerfull plattforms
August 7, 2006 3:01:47 PM

Quote:

I own a Opteron 144, X2 3800+ and FX-55... And im sure as hell gonna phase out the lot of them in favor for Core 2 Duo.. Why the hell would i want to keep older and less powerfull plattforms
Because Intel is the Great Satan, here to eat our souls and rape our babies, and AMD is a heavenly entity here to give us back rubs and make us milk and cookies?
August 7, 2006 3:02:35 PM

^^^@ subject

Come on People. It seems as though the information highway, and people on it is to blame, when anything new is introduced.

You have people putting out info, you have companies putting out info, this isn't the 1st time where a new product comes out to where people want it so baldy and can't seem to find it.

I recommend some of you get some help, or psychiatric care.
August 7, 2006 3:03:04 PM

When your back is against the wall you will do anything!!! its not that they are so smart... &
I am SURE AMD has their stuff coming & I like the competition its good for all us consumers. Heck I would love to see AMD come out with a real KICK ass CPU & even sell it at half the price of conroe. SLAP!! SLAP!! Ok now i'm awake again.
August 7, 2006 3:04:03 PM

Because you don't want to upgrade every 6 months and your current system meets all of your requirements?

I do lots of cost analysis for companies in my job.
If upgrading a computer reduces the wait for a user from 0.1 seconds to 0.01 seconds, what is the TOC benefit for the company? Zero because the user will not see a difference.

If the task goes from 5 minutes to 1 minute? What is the benefit? Maybe zero, because the user only does it once a day and it runs while reading his email.

If I have unlimited money and unlimited time and get a kick out of building a new system every couple months, you should upgrade now.

Otherwise, you will need to upgrade when 4x4 comes.
Then in 6 months.

Myself, I buy the best system for my needs when I need a new system.
The best system is based on what my needs are, how it will meet those needs, and the cost compared to how it meets my needs.

I just hope to be rich and unemployed one day so I can just fiddle.
August 7, 2006 3:06:20 PM

Quote:

Because Intel is the Great Satan, here to eat our souls and rape our babies, and AMD is a heavenly entity here to give us back rubs and make us milk and cookies?

I liked the back rubs that came with my X2 4400+, but where the hell are the milk & cookies? Out of stock I guess. :lol: 
August 7, 2006 3:07:24 PM

You do have sense....
August 7, 2006 3:08:11 PM

BS threads like this need to be locked. It is nowhere near a paper launch. It is Intel's fastest ramp in history. You are just perceiving the huge demand.

I personally know 12 people now that have Core 2 Duo systems. Online distributors are selling out as they get them becuase there is HUGE demand, Just place your preorder and you will get one, You just have to wait until after the million people that ordered before you. That's life.

Again, this thread really should be locked.
August 7, 2006 3:09:34 PM

I live in the uk and have had my retail e6600 since middle of last week. OEMs of various conroes have been in stock almost since the launch date set by intel.

I have to say this is the first time i've bought an intel chip since around P90 times and I'm impressed both by the chip and the speed by which intel have produced and distributed them to the uk
August 7, 2006 3:11:03 PM

Quote:
but where the hell are the milk & cookies? Out of stock I guess. :lol: 

PAPER LAUNCH!!
August 7, 2006 3:11:30 PM

You should be for a post like this.
If there were at least 1,000,000 cores available to the public now do you think we would be nit picking like this. All the AMD fanboys would have shut their asses & buy a core.
August 7, 2006 3:28:00 PM

Quote:
but where the hell are the milk & cookies? Out of stock I guess. :lol: 

PAPER LAUNCH!!

I think I'm gonna go to the tiolet and do a paper launch of my own.

Captain Assrocket, please come to the launching pad!

(That means I agree that this should be locked)
August 7, 2006 3:44:48 PM

LOL Paper Launch BWAHAHAHA. What ever!!!!

Im in south africa, And I have two E6600's sitting on my desk. Need I say more?
August 7, 2006 3:52:55 PM

Quote:
Good poing but Intel could be holding back the products to create demand so prices can skyrocket & royally screw it's fanboys & loyal customers all oer again,,, & this paperlaunch is just the begining of their "EVIL MASTER PLAN" & thats business too...

You are just pissed and speculating. Intel is trying to win business back from you all. Believe me, I have friends at Intel and they are cranking them out as fast as they can with high quality.

Intel has the highest respect in the industry for good quality products. A tool makes these cpu's will wait til it passes it's daily quals. Doesn't matter how long it takes.

All of Intel's fabs are ISO compliance. Very high standards.
August 7, 2006 4:04:59 PM

No not pissed ,, just thinking like a CEO on steriods & exploring all the what ifs..
August 7, 2006 4:13:33 PM

Quote:

This is a actually corporation you are talking about, not the plot of a sci fi movie.

If you hate Intel and find them 'evil' fine, don't buy their stuff, buy all your things from someone else (they won't mind, nor actually will the people you buy from instead, they don't really know you you know). But please give the 'evil mastermind!' stuff a bit of a break - its bordering on weird.
August 7, 2006 4:17:49 PM

I actually kinda like intel but HATE its fanboys.
August 7, 2006 4:33:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah, well, find me a 6600. Anywhere.

New Egg has nothing. Fry's might have them - if you live near one - but outpost.com does not. Clubit is out. ShopBLT shows delivery on the 16th for one shipment, and I really don't trust that info - they already showed arrival dates last Friday, so it's false advertising.

here you go
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Intel_Pentium_Co...
now will you stop trolling?
August 7, 2006 4:36:12 PM

Quote:
Paper launch. Agreed. Designed to keep people from purchasing new AM2 systems for the last couple months.

Yeah a few people got one from tiger direct etc. but the majority are still waiting and those that did get one got screwed on a inferior mobo at a ridiculous price. No SLI at launch?? No Nvidia chipsets at launch?? Still none??
Wow, when AM2 launched both SLI and NForce5 were available that day, not to mention the CPU!

We all know Intel was in a desperate situation to gain back market share, but geez, at least dont lie about the date.

failed
!