Sign in with
Your question

P5WD2-E Premium, D805 refuses to install windows

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2006 10:57:26 AM

Guys,

Some help please. I've recently bought a P5WD2-E Premium board in combination with a pentium D 805 processor after reading some of the reviews on the excellent overclocking potential of this combination.

However, even when letting this rig run at "standard" settings windows will not install, it will freeze up midway in installing devices. This is with 2GB dual channel GEIL memory (DDR2 667) and a 460W PSU (single +12v rail, 33amp)

I'm struggling to solve this one, mainboard has been replaced, memory has been swapped, I've tried several video cards and have messed with my IDE/ Sata configuration, no other PCI cards or other crap is present either.

Now in my opinion either of these things could be wrong, and I'd like opinions:

1) Someone at the store frowned and said that I was bound to run into issues with this "fast" memory (DDR2 667, fast timings), this due to the fact that the 805 runs at a 133mhz FSB. this sounds odd since the system would simply clock back the memory and if settings are left to default, the timings aren't set very fast either, or am I mistaken?
2) could the CPU be faulty? Voltage readings and temperature seem fine..
3) PSU has only a single +V12 rail while the mainboard manual claims you need a PSU which has 2, however, I've been told this shouldn't make a difference in the operation of your machine.
4) I might have missed a setting in the bios?

If anyone could shed some light on this I'd be a very happy man,

Macros
August 7, 2006 12:22:37 PM

I had the same issue. When installing windows mine would freeze at the same point every time.

Found that the issue was being caused by a internal USB card reader. Disconnected this from the MB, and windows would install.

What USB devices do you have connected?
August 7, 2006 12:42:00 PM

I didn't connect any external devices to it apart from a IDE CD-ROM and a SATA HDD.
I am not aware of there being a built in card reader facility on the board? Did I miss something?

I've progressed past "installing devices" twice (after a 2 hour wait), but it locks up at a later stage all the same :\
Related resources
August 7, 2006 1:04:34 PM

Ive got the same motherboard and chip.

You have two options.

1) find a windows xp install with SP2 (or slipstream)
2) upgrade to the new bios 0604 (i think)
dont install any drivers (you will be limited to 120gb)
once you get to a desktop upgrade all the drivers.
You can then use partition magic to increase the volume size.
August 7, 2006 1:10:30 PM

I've got a slipstreamed SP2 cd but I suspect it may be the root of the issue.

For the moment I'll turn off all devices in the BIOS that are not critical to boot and will use a new XP SP2 CD if I can hunt one down. If all else fails I'll even try with server2003 and see if this gets me anywhere.

I'll update once I get some results.
August 7, 2006 6:49:00 PM

Thank you for all this information, in reply:

My HDD is set to "standard IDE" and I need to find out whether this has impact on my issue, however, I've also tried setting up windows with my old "regular" IDE HDD and this displayed the exact same issues.

I've not used the RAID sata connectors or the IDE RAID controller, I've also disabled these to see if that made a difference (it did not)

The CD rom is connected with a 80 conducter cable and is configured in bios as being the "primary master"

I've tried setting DRAM timings manually but I'm unsure what would be optimum for this kind of thing, any advice here?

I'm getting fairly desperate, I've tried anything I can think of but no change, disabling a WHOLE bunch of devices in the bios simply makes my installation lock up sooner - presumably at the same device it fails on every time.

About the extra power connector on the board, do I hook this up with a "regular" power connector that I would normally use for a HDD/ CD-Rom player? Asus does not document the use of the "EZ-power" connector in it's manual but simply states it is present.

Many thanks for all of your suggestions.

Quote:
> I didn't connect any external devices to it
> apart from a IDE CD-ROM and a SATA HDD.

I'm writing this by looking at a photo of your motherboard,
but I don't own that motherboard; I have the P5WD2 Premium.

With that proviso ...

... several things come to mind immediately:

(1) this generation of ASUS MBs have User Manuals
with a few key errors/omissions in the documentation for
configuring IDE devices;

(2) "Standard IDE" sets the main SATA ports
to 150 MB/s; "AHCI" and "RAID" set those ports
to 300 MB/s; be sure your HDD is matched to
the BIOS setting e.g. Hitachi SATA-II HDDs
require a "Feature Tool" to change the factory
default; other manufacturers have resorted
to jumpers on some recent SATA-II HDDs
to override the factory default;

(3) if you want to install Windows onto the main SATA
ports configured as AHCI or RAID, you'll need to
use the F6 sequence when prompted by Windows Setup
(this is NOT documented for AHCI, although it is
documented for RAID); F6 of course requires that
you prepare a driver diskette BEFORE running Windows
Setup (in case you didn't already know that);

(4) the RED IDE port needs a device driver installed
before you can connect optical drives to it; best thing
is to disable that port until you have Windows installed
and running AOK, then enable it in the BIOS and
Plug-n-Play should detect that new device and
request a driver for it;

(5) use the BLUE IDE port to connect a PATA optical
drive and to run Windows Setup; NEVER connect
a single PATA device to the middle connector on
the 40- and 80-conductor ribbon cables, because
the dangling end section will cause signaling problems;
you can use the 80-conductor cable with optical drives,
but you cannot use the 40-conductor cable with
hard disk drives, because the data transmission
speed causes "cross-talk" on adjacent wires;

(6) some SATA optical drives simply do NOT work
on the main SATA ports; if that is your problem,
just buy a cheap CD-ROM drive to install Windows,
and wire it to the BLUE IDE connector;

(7) this class of ASUS motherboards seem to work
better initially if you override SPD and set the
memory timings manually: so, build to a "barebones"
i.e. motherboard, PSU, CPU, RAM, keyboard, video
and mouse: boot into the BIOS, set the memory
timings manually and save; re-boot into the BIOS and
then let the machine "burn in" for 30-60 minutes, while
you watch the voltages and temps in the "Hardware"
tab; if your machine does not halt or "blue screen"
then you can proceed to hook up your drives
and install Windows.

In the future, ASUS has a User Forum at their website
where users like you can share experiences and
problem-solving.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely yours,
/s/ Paul Andrew Mitchell
Webmaster, Supreme Law Library
http://www.supremelaw.org/
August 7, 2006 7:47:14 PM

To rule out the possibility of windows XP having some sort of driver related issue, I'll be installing 2003 server R2 once I get it downloaded.
August 7, 2006 7:55:09 PM

Quote:
I've tried setting DRAM timings manually but I'm unsure what would be optimum for this kind of thing, any advice here?

Your RAM manufacturer should be able to provide the settings at which it is spec'd, including such things as voltage.

Quote:

About the extra power connector on the board, do I hook this up with a "regular" power connector that I would normally use for a HDD/ CD-Rom player?

Yes; it's important to have it connected.

In general, I would strongly suggest getting memtest86 and booting with that, verifying that you don't get any memory problems for an hour or two before messing with Windows.
August 7, 2006 8:13:22 PM

I have the same setup, did you load the sata/raid driver crap at the start . (i think its like f2 or something? this would be an issue AND STAY AWAY FOR THE RED CONNECTOR on the mobo.
as far as ram i run both 667 and 800 mhz no issues just set the settings to what they say on the ram.
you got the ram voltage correct right?

as far as the ez connector no need for it (the 4 pin molex)the one you do need is the one by the cpu between the voltage regulators its a 8 pin but you can use 4 if thats all you have

if its not the sata driver issue (and ill be suprised if its not) then use only 1 stick of ram in different slots , if that dont work do you get the BSOD what is the error code?
August 7, 2006 8:58:57 PM

I haven't yet loaded any raid or sata drivers yet and will do so next.

I've run a memtest from dawn till dusk (literally) and it shows fine, so that's not the issue.

I've set timings to 4-4-4-12 as indicated by ram, but wasn't sure if this was "ideal' regardless.....
August 7, 2006 9:05:35 PM

Quote:
I have the same setup, did you load the sata/raid driver crap at the start . (i think its like f2 or something? this would be an issue AND STAY AWAY FOR THE RED CONNECTOR on the mobo.

Is this the "Marvell SATA/ATA 6141 Driver V1.0.0.3 for Windows 2000/XP/2003 & 64Bit XP/2003" I found on the asus site? Because those only appear to be the RAID drivers, and I switched that off in the bios...
August 7, 2006 10:36:57 PM

if i remember right its both raid/sata but not the marvell ones, i think thats for the "red-marvell" connector that is just plain trash.
I migt be able to help you later when i get home because my memory is toast (so is my english), but it's on the cd that came with the mobo if you dont have another pc you need to make a boot floppy then go to the cd drive and coppy the drivers onto floppy then install them in the very begining of windows. or if you search the asus mobo section i posted there a while back

Quote:

***BINGO***

as far as timmings they are fine.
August 8, 2006 6:47:30 AM

My friend, I really hope it will do the trick, because this is driving me up the wall, I'll be able to get you results later today.
August 8, 2006 3:44:56 PM

Quote:
if i remember right its both raid/sata but not the marvell ones, i think thats for the "red-marvell" connector that is just plain trash.
I migt be able to help you later when i get home because my memory is toast (so is my english), but it's on the cd that came with the mobo if you dont have another pc you need to make a boot floppy then go to the cd drive and coppy the drivers onto floppy then install them in the very begining of windows. or if you search the asus mobo section i posted there a while back

***BINGO***

as far as timmings they are fine.

No bingo :( 

it still locks up at the same spot :\

Anyone got any more clues...?
August 8, 2006 5:17:05 PM

No ***BINGO*** damn'it
you did not use the marvell drivers did you?\
i think it was supose to use the ich7 ?
any bsod ? what error was it?
the only other thing i ca think of would be the slipstream version of sp2
August 8, 2006 5:41:48 PM

I made a disk from the CD and indeed no go.

I've also tried win 2003 server and Vista now, and both don't do shit (halt even before installing devices)

so I think something must be going badly, badly wrong with my config, just for the life of me can't figure out what.

I think I'll have the CPU and PSU swapped just to make sure....
August 8, 2006 7:23:05 PM

Ok , what sata port are you using? try using a different one? should be a black one by the blue ide connector right?
what bios version do you have?
you are only using 1 stick of ram correct?

did you boot the mobo without cpu? did you get a beep (need to have speaker)
August 10, 2006 5:32:47 AM

I'll try another sata port and yes it's only with 1 memory stick.... however, I'm starting to think I must have some faulty hardware, although it doesn't make a lot of sense to me....

Since everything has been swapped already except the PSU and the CPU I'll go back to the store and get those items swapped I guess, I'm getting desperate :\
August 10, 2006 6:24:59 AM

did you try running memtest86 to check whether your ram got problems? i bet
ur rams is the culprit.... :D 
August 11, 2006 12:16:20 PM

I bet not! =P

I've tried 3 different memory sticks and have run memtest for 12 straight hours ;) 

it's only when I start installing windows that the preverbial shit hits the fan ;) 
August 21, 2006 8:17:06 AM

FINALLY! IT WORKS!

Apparantly this board is *very* sensitive to the power it receives from the 5V rail, the 5V rail on my PSU was not technically out of spec, but apparantly enough to utterly mess up my rig.

I replaced the PSU and it's now working perfectly!
!