server run slowly (almost hang)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi all,

I have a problem with my server (using win2K Advanced Server).
This server sometimes runs slowly (almost hang) and sometimes normally.
It didn't run slowly all the time. I must wait for about one minute to
execute program (ex. windows explorer). After one minute, it will work
normally again for about 30 seconds, then it will slow down again. It
makes me confused.
I must restart it to make it work well again. The problem will happen
again in unspecified time.

I've run antispyware but there is no threat detected.

Does anyone know why this problem occured?

Thanks,
Alen

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

> I have a problem with my server (using win2K Advanced Server).
> This server sometimes runs slowly (almost hang) and sometimes normally.
> It didn't run slowly all the time. I must wait for about one minute to
> execute program (ex. windows explorer). After one minute, it will work
> normally again for about 30 seconds, then it will slow down again. It
> makes me confused.
> I must restart it to make it work well again. The problem will happen
> again in unspecified time.

Go to the Task Manager and end all unncessary processes. Another
application could be running and consuming your resources. Report back
if the problem continues.

When did this begin? After recent installation of a program?

Dan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

>Have you looked at the event logs? Also, take a look at the Task
>Manager to
>see what is using up the resources...

I have checked at the Task Manager and I found "sqlservr.exe" the
highest process that using about 1.4GB of memory.
Is it not normal?
I tried to stop the service, but the system still run slowly.

I restarted my server again yesterday and the problem has not come yet
till now.

There is no error at the event logs.

>When did this begin? After recent installation of a program?

I think I do not do any installation of programs on my server. This
problem has began about a week.

Thanks,
Alen