How to upgrade a 2000 Adv. server to 2003 Std server

Does anybody know if its possible to upgrade a 2000 Advanced server to a 2003
Standard server - and keep settings ?

Tesla

Packert wrote:

> Does anybody know if its possible to upgrade a 2000 Advanced server to a 2003
> Standard server - and keep settings ?

We cannot upgrade Windows 2000 Advanced Server to Windows Server 2003
Standard Edition. Actually, it is not a supported upgrade path. For
Windows 2000 Advanced Server, we can only upgrade it to Windows Server
2003 Enterprise Edition.

For more information, you can refer to the following Knowledge Base article:

810613 Windows Server 2003 Upgrade Paths
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810613

Therefore, I would like to suggest that you consider the following two

1. Clean install Windows Server 2003, promote it to domain controller,
and transfer FSMO/GC to the new server. All AD information will be kept.

816105 HOW TO: Create or Move a Global Catalog in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816105

324801 HOW TO: View and Transfer FSMO Roles in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324801

255504 Using Ntdsutil.exe to Seize or Transfer FSMO Roles to a Domain
Controller
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255504

2. Consider Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.

Thank you and have a nice day!