Windows 2000 Server Does Not Boot Up

The backup job did not complete running last night. So, I canceled the job.
However, the job did not want to be canceled. So, I decided to reboot the
server.

My Windows 2000 Server no longer booted up normally. When it was booting
up, it flashed Windows 2000 logo. It never got to the logon screen.

It did not boot up in Safe Mode either. The server kept displaying the ARC
path when I booted it in Safe Mode.

I also tried to boot up by using the Last Known Configuration. The server
kept displaying the ARC path. Do you have any suggestions on how I can
bring Windows 2000 Server up normally? Thanks.

Try creating a boot disk. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000
the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows
2000 machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the
floppy), and copy Windows 2000 versions of ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini
to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you
wish to boot. Below is an example of boot.ini. The default is to start the
operating system located on the first partition of the primary or first
drive (drive0). Then drive0 partition 2 and so on.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,2"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,2"

Another possibility is to try loading the controller driver also from
floppy. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must
contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine,
not a DOS/Win9x, so the "NT" boot sector gets written to the floppy), then
copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a
correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot.

In order for this to work you'll want to change the arc path in boot.ini
from multi syntax to scsi syntax to indicate that Windows 2000 will load a
boot device driver and use that driver to access the boot partition. Then
also copy the correct manufacturer SCSI, or ultra DMA, or ATA100, or raid,
or serial ATA driver to the floppy but renamed to ntbootdd.sys

Something like this below;

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt
[operating systems]
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,1"
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,2"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,1"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,2"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Diane Walker" wrote:
| The backup job did not complete running last night. So, I canceled the
job.
| However, the job did not want to be canceled. So, I decided to reboot the
| server.
|
| My Windows 2000 Server no longer booted up normally. When it was booting
| up, it flashed Windows 2000 logo. It never got to the logon screen.
|
| It did not boot up in Safe Mode either. The server kept displaying the
ARC
| path when I booted it in Safe Mode.
|
| I also tried to boot up by using the Last Known Configuration. The server
| kept displaying the ARC path. Do you have any suggestions on how I can
| bring Windows 2000 Server up normally? Thanks.

Thanks for much for your prompt response. I'll let you know how it went.

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Diane Walker" wrote:
> | The backup job did not complete running last night. So, I canceled the
> job.
> | However, the job did not want to be canceled. So, I decided to reboot
> the
> | server.
> |
> | My Windows 2000 Server no longer booted up normally. When it was
> booting
> | up, it flashed Windows 2000 logo. It never got to the logon screen.
> |
> | It did not boot up in Safe Mode either. The server kept displaying the
> ARC
> | path when I booted it in Safe Mode.
> |
> | I also tried to boot up by using the Last Known Configuration. The
> server
> | kept displaying the ARC path. Do you have any suggestions on how I can
> | bring Windows 2000 Server up normally? Thanks.

Thanks very much for your instructions again. The server boots up normally.

Great news. You're welcome.