Biggest network?

Last response: in Network Providers
November 2, 2004 12:05:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

Hey, I see the merger's been approved. http://www.newCingular.com/ crows about
the combined company having the largest network, but the fine print at the
bottom of the page says

The ALLOVER(SM) Network covers 268 million people.

Sprint was saying a couple years ago that their network covers 280 million people.

Interesting...

More about : biggest network

Anonymous
November 2, 2004 2:08:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs, alt.cellular.cingular, alt.cellular.attws, alt.cellular (More info?)

Sprint actually claims to cover 240 million people natively and 273
million with roaming partners included. They've never claimed to cover
280 million.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 3:14:50 AM

> Hey, I see the merger's been approved. http://www.newCingular.com/ crows
> about the combined company having the largest network, but the fine print
> at the bottom of the page says
>
> The ALLOVER(SM) Network covers 268 million people.
>
> Sprint was saying a couple years ago that their network covers 280 million
> people.

Before they lost a couple hundred million. :)  -Dave
November 2, 2004 3:47:49 PM

larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:
> Sprint actually claims to cover 240 million people natively and 273
> million with roaming partners included. They've never claimed to cover
> 280 million.

Weird. I remember hearing "the largest nationwide network serving over 280
million people" on Sprint ads... on a regular basis.

November 2, 2004 4:12:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs, alt.cellular.cingular, alt.cellular.attws, alt.cellular (More info?)

It was actually 230 million for the longest time. Then it became 240
million as the affiliates launched some new markets.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 4:48:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:
> It was actually 230 million for the longest time. Then it became 240
> million as the affiliates launched some new markets.

Yes, I remember that...

November 2, 2004 11:58:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <cm8rqi$e1v$2@ratbert.glorb.com> on Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:47:49 -0800, Steve
Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:

>> Sprint actually claims to cover 240 million people natively and 273
>> million with roaming partners included. They've never claimed to cover
>> 280 million.
>
>Weird. I remember hearing "the largest nationwide network serving over 280
>million people" on Sprint ads... on a regular basis.

<http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Page.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3E...;:

"... reaching more than 280 million people..."

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;

John Navas wrote:
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <cm8rqi$e1v$2@ratbert.glorb.com> on Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:47:49 -0800, Steve
> Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
>

>>larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:
>

>>>Sprint actually claims to cover 240 million people natively and 273
>>>million with roaming partners included. They've never claimed to cover
>>>280 million.
>>
>>Weird. I remember hearing "the largest nationwide network serving over 280
>>million people" on Sprint ads... on a regular basis.
>

> <http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Page.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3E...;:
>
> "... reaching more than 280 million people..."

So "reaching more than 280M people" and "having 280M clients" are two
different kettles of fish. I get it.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
I'm Jer and I approved this message.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 12:29:20 AM

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> They say currently "Today, the enhanced Sprint Nationwide PCS Network
> connects more than 240 million people."

The link given by John Navas in this thread says 280.

November 3, 2004 12:29:20 AM

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> They say currently "Today, the enhanced Sprint Nationwide PCS Network
> connects more than 240 million people."

Hm. Actually, the voice network covers 280 million. "Enhanced" means areas
where services like Vision are available, no?

November 3, 2004 12:32:41 AM

In alt.cellular.sprintpcs John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>Weird. I remember hearing "the largest nationwide network serving over 280
>>million people" on Sprint ads... on a regular basis.
>
> <http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Page.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3E...;:
>
> "... reaching more than 280 million people..."

That is with the Free & Clear America [or Fair & Flexible America] plan,
which includes all the free roaming [essentially includes what Verizon
covers digitally].

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
November 3, 2004 5:02:48 AM

In <1099443100.192637.179230@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> on 2 Nov 2004
16:51:40 -0800, larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:

>I couldn't see anything in that thread that says 280 million. It's
>still 240 million:
>
>http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ueContent.jsp?scTopic...

<http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Page.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3E...;:

"... reaching more than 280 million people..."

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 8:01:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 21:05:35 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
said in alt.cellular:

>Sprint was saying a couple years ago that their network covers 280 million people.

Almost every man, woman, child and infant in the US is a sprint
customer?

Or does that number refer to footprint?
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 8:01:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

In message <hfpgo0pab6ee6pk6ci55uc4oo8hkdvge31@4ax.com> Al Klein
<rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>>Sprint was saying a couple years ago that their network covers 280 million people.
>
>Almost every man, woman, child and infant in the US is a sprint
>customer?
>
>Or does that number refer to footprint?

"covers" would mean footprint.

--
"NEWS SERVERS ARE NOT POWER BY HAMSTERS"
-- rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 5:38:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 5:39:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 9:10:01 PM

wrote:

>larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Sprint actually claims to cover 240 million people natively and 273
>> million with roaming partners included. They've never claimed to cover
>> 280 million.
>
>Weird. I remember hearing "the largest nationwide network serving over 280
>million people" on Sprint ads... on a regular basis.

IIRC, their actual claim was the "largest all digital network."
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 9:23:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

In article <vm7io0p55r8mviu7ii4ek0a8h00q0mgs85@4ax.com>,
Cyrus Afzali <pnsmnyv@lnubb.pbz> wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:47:49 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
> wrote:
>
> >larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:
> >> Sprint actually claims to cover 240 million people natively and 273
> >> million with roaming partners included. They've never claimed to cover
> >> 280 million.
> >
> >Weird. I remember hearing "the largest nationwide network serving over 280
> >million people" on Sprint ads... on a regular basis.
>
> IIRC, their actual claim was the "largest all digital network."

Isn't SPIN wonderful. Making like having zero native analog capability
is an advantage.

Verizon has a far larger Network, and likely Cingular too (definately
once ATTWS towers get integrated), but neither is all digital.
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 9:23:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

In message <jzwick3-E0ACDD.12233103112004@news1.east.earthlink.net> Jack
Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Isn't SPIN wonderful. Making like having zero native analog capability
>is an advantage.

Depending on the user, there is an advantage -- My phone's features all
work no matter where I go. I use it more for text messaging then as a
phone, so analog access is virtually useless to me.

That being said, I do carry an old analog phone when I travel, just in
case.

--
Boom. Boom boom boom. Boom boom. BOOM. Have a nice day.
-- Susan Ivanova, B5

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:23:31 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>In article <vm7io0p55r8mviu7ii4ek0a8h00q0mgs85@4ax.com>,
> Cyrus Afzali <pnsmnyv@lnubb.pbz> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:47:49 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
>> wrote:

>> >Weird. I remember hearing "the largest nationwide network serving over 280
>> >million people" on Sprint ads... on a regular basis.
>>
>> IIRC, their actual claim was the "largest all digital network."
>
>Isn't SPIN wonderful. Making like having zero native analog capability
>is an advantage.

Well, to be fair, they're not the only ones. T-Mobile used to use it
all the time their printed marketing material and ads before Cingular
and the former AT&T Wireless completed their GSM overlays. Advertising
is all about spin, in a way.

>Verizon has a far larger Network, and likely Cingular too (definately
>once ATTWS towers get integrated), but neither is all digital.

Cingular's will be soon. Several of my family members have Cingular
and as soon as the GSM overlay was done in their areas, they were
upgraded to new handsets and told TDMA would be soon to go away.
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 11:44:14 PM

Cyrus Afzali wrote:

> Cingular's will be soon. Several of my family members have Cingular
> and as soon as the GSM overlay was done in their areas, they were
> upgraded to new handsets and told TDMA would be soon to go away.

And Verizon isn't turning up any more analog. Their entire network has digital;
some just has analog in addition to digital.

Sprint phone is 1900/800 CDMA and 800 AMPS... and will roam analog when necessary.

November 3, 2004 11:56:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

In message <cmc8eh$fqr$1@ratbert.glorb.com> Steve Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>Sprint phone is 1900/800 CDMA and 800 AMPS... and will roam analog when necessary.

I've used iDEN phones exclusively since '99 or so... Digital only.

--
Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently,
and for the very same reason.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

I've used Sprint for a couple years now and I must say they have great
coverage, better than some other carriers. Out here in Oklahoma I'll drive
past Crescent (which if you have ever been there you would know it's out in
the middle of nowhere) and I will still have service. Then I'll try using
cingular wireless in the same area and I don't have any service. And I'll
tell you this, when I drive from Oklahoma to Florida taking back roads I'll
get Sprint service with no roaming during the entire trip.

--
Louis
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 12:38:04 AM

lmerz1 wrote:
> I've used Sprint for a couple years now and I must say they have great
> coverage, better than some other carriers. Out here in Oklahoma I'll drive
> past Crescent (which if you have ever been there you would know it's out in
> the middle of nowhere) and I will still have service. Then I'll try using
> cingular wireless in the same area and I don't have any service.

And Verizon doesn't even claim to have coverage in Oklahoma.

Sprint definitely does better in the Plains states than many other carriers.
Other carriers have their own strong areas - I found Verizon to be very, very
strong in the Northeast for example. California/Nevada used to be a great area
for Pacific Bell Mobile, but I understand it's not so wonderful with Cingular.
(But I don't use Cingular; that's just secondhand information.)

November 4, 2004 6:07:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:44:13 GMT, Cyrus Afzali <pnsmnyv@lnubb.pbz>
said in alt.cellular:

>Cingular's will be soon. Several of my family members have Cingular
>and as soon as the GSM overlay was done in their areas, they were
>upgraded to new handsets and told TDMA would be soon to go away.

For certain large values of "soon".
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 7:04:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

>Sprint phone is 1900/800 CDMA and 800 AMPS... and will roam analog when necessary.

Because we don't subscribe to SprintPCS. Note crossposting.

November 4, 2004 7:04:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

In message <DThid.3377$_3.36374@typhoon.sonic.net> John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>Because we don't subscribe to SprintPCS. Note crossposting.

Yeah... I'm reading it from alt.cellular myself, which is carrier
independent.

I couldn't subscribe to Sprint if I wanted (I don't)

--
Warning Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.
Anonymous

In <zthid.13460$233.1789@okepread05> on Wed, 3 Nov 2004 21:38:03 -0600,
"lmerz1" <lmerz1@cox.net> wrote:

>I've used Sprint for a couple years now and I must say they have great
>coverage, better than some other carriers. Out here in Oklahoma I'll drive
>past Crescent (which if you have ever been there you would know it's out in
>the middle of nowhere) and I will still have service. Then I'll try using
>cingular wireless in the same area and I don't have any service. And I'll
>tell you this, when I drive from Oklahoma to Florida taking back roads I'll
>get Sprint service with no roaming during the entire trip.

Out here in the San Francisco Bay Area, Cingular has much better coverage than
SprintPCS.

November 4, 2004 7:07:49 AM

In <cmc8ht$fqr$2@ratbert.glorb.com> on Wed, 03 Nov 2004 19:43:35 -0800, Steve
Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>Sprint definitely does better in the Plains states than many other carriers.
>Other carriers have their own strong areas - I found Verizon to be very, very
>strong in the Northeast for example. California/Nevada used to be a great area
>for Pacific Bell Mobile, but I understand it's not so wonderful with Cingular.
>(But I don't use Cingular; that's just secondhand information.)

Cingular has very good coverage here in the San Francisco Bay Area, much
better than SprintPCS. That's even without the ATTWS merger, which makes
coverage even better.

November 4, 2004 7:12:41 AM

In <u2ajo0503e7dlef6sgv7ltekh4o5flf9k2@news.supernews.com> on Wed, 03 Nov 2004
20:56:39 -0700, DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>In message <cmc8eh$fqr$1@ratbert.glorb.com> Steve Sobol
><sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>>Sprint phone is 1900/800 CDMA and 800 AMPS... and will roam analog when necessary.
>
>I've used iDEN phones exclusively since '99 or so... Digital only.

You have my sincere sympathy. :)

November 4, 2004 7:12:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

In message <Z_hid.3391$_3.36372@typhoon.sonic.net> John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>I've used iDEN phones exclusively since '99 or so... Digital only.
>
>You have my sincere sympathy. :)

By choice... Best phones I've found in a long time, and one of the most
functional networks. Great coverage in the city, although not the best
when I travel. Luckily, I rarely travel.

--
You're not as stupid as you look, or sound, or our best testing indicates.
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

In article <pWhid.3383$_3.36307@typhoon.sonic.net>,
>Cingular has very good coverage here in the San Francisco Bay Area, much
>better than SprintPCS. That's even without the ATTWS merger, which makes
>coverage even better.

But isn't the Cingular network reverting to T-Mobile in CA/NV, now that
the merger is approved? I understand that Cingular/AT&T-Wireless people
will be able to roam on the T-Mobile system for a while, but the combo
will be running basically on the current AT&T-Wireless network, right?
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 7:36:40 AM

CharlesH wrote:
> In article <pWhid.3383$_3.36307@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>Cingular has very good coverage here in the San Francisco Bay Area, much
>>better than SprintPCS. That's even without the ATTWS merger, which makes
>>coverage even better.
>

> But isn't the Cingular network reverting to T-Mobile in CA/NV, now that
> the merger is approved?

I had the opportunity to ask a T-Mobile major accounts rep that exact question
a few weeks ago, and the answer was a resounding "I'm not sure."

I don't think anything is an absolute yet. (Except the fact that the merger's
going through :)

November 4, 2004 8:09:57 AM

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <zthid.13460$233.1789@okepread05> on Wed, 3 Nov 2004 21:38:03 -0600,
> "lmerz1" <lmerz1@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >I've used Sprint for a couple years now and I must say they have great
> >coverage, better than some other carriers. Out here in Oklahoma I'll
drive
> >past Crescent (which if you have ever been there you would know it's out
in
> >the middle of nowhere) and I will still have service. Then I'll try using
> >cingular wireless in the same area and I don't have any service. And I'll
> >tell you this, when I drive from Oklahoma to Florida taking back roads
I'll
> >get Sprint service with no roaming during the entire trip.
>
> Out here in the San Francisco Bay Area, Cingular has much better coverage
than
> SprintPCS.

Oh? And how would you know John? I'm not trying to start an argument, but it
seems that you haven't had SPCS coverage for a long time, if you ever had it
in the past. Do you subscribe to SPCS service now, and use it?

Bob
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 8:39:12 AM

In <rliid.38319$QJ3.8915@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com> on Thu, 04 Nov 2004
04:36:39 GMT, hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH) wrote:

>In article <pWhid.3383$_3.36307@typhoon.sonic.net>,
>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>Cingular has very good coverage here in the San Francisco Bay Area, much
>>better than SprintPCS. That's even without the ATTWS merger, which makes
>>coverage even better.
>
>But isn't the Cingular network reverting to T-Mobile in CA/NV, now that
>the merger is approved? I understand that Cingular/AT&T-Wireless people
>will be able to roam on the T-Mobile system for a while, but the combo
>will be running basically on the current AT&T-Wireless network, right?

1. It's a multi-year roaming agreement.

2. The ATTWS network is very good.

November 4, 2004 8:40:14 AM

In <FQiid.2315$Gm6.885@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Thu, 04 Nov 2004
05:09:57 GMT, "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> Out here in the San Francisco Bay Area, Cingular has much better coverage than
>> SprintPCS.
>
>Oh? And how would you know John? I'm not trying to start an argument, but it
>seems that you haven't had SPCS coverage for a long time, if you ever had it
>in the past. Do you subscribe to SPCS service now, and use it?

I do indeed use SprintPCS (in addition to Cingular).

November 4, 2004 10:58:37 AM

In <cmcjfe$i4n$1@ratbert.glorb.com> on Wed, 03 Nov 2004 22:50:00 -0800, Steve
Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>CharlesH wrote:

>> But isn't the Cingular network reverting to T-Mobile in CA/NV, now that
>> the merger is approved?
>
>I had the opportunity to ask a T-Mobile major accounts rep that exact question
>a few weeks ago, and the answer was a resounding "I'm not sure."
>
>I don't think anything is an absolute yet. (Except the fact that the merger's
>going through :)

T-Mobile USA to End Network Venture with Cingular and Acquire
California/Nevada Network and Spectrum
http://tmobile.com/company/pressroom/pressrelease100.as...

BELLEVUE, Washington - 05/25/2004 - T-Mobile USA, Inc. ("T-Mobile
USA"), the U.S. operating subsidiary of T-Mobile International AG &
Co. KG ("T-Mobile International"), the mobile communications
subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom AG (NYSE: DT) ("Deutsche Telekom"),
today announced it has entered into agreements with Cingular Wireless
LLC ("Cingular") to terminate their wireless network sharing joint
venture and for T-Mobile USA to acquire 100% ownership of the shared
networks in California and Nevada for $2.5 billion. The purchase
price of $2.5 billion for the GSM network in California/Nevada will
be offset by $200 million related to the unwinding of the joint
venture, resulting in a net cash payment of approximately $2.3
billion to Cingular. In addition, T-Mobile USA will:

* provide network services to Cingular under a wholesale arrangement
until Cingular's customers in these markets transition to the
networks it will acquire through its pending merger with AT&T
Wireless Services, Inc. ("AT&T Wireless");

* replace its existing roaming agreement with Cingular with a new
nationwide agreement with improved terms;

* transfer 10 MHz of New York spectrum in exchange for certain
California spectrum owned by Cingular as specified in the termination
provisions of the joint venture agreement;

* acquire an additional 10 MHz of spectrum from Cingular in certain
key California markets for $180 million; and

* receive an option to acquire an additional 10 MHz of spectrum in
other key California markets from Cingular within two years.

[MORE]

November 4, 2004 3:05:42 PM

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <cmcjfe$i4n$1@ratbert.glorb.com> on Wed, 03 Nov 2004 22:50:00 -0800,
Steve
> Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
>
> >CharlesH wrote:
>
> >> But isn't the Cingular network reverting to T-Mobile in CA/NV, now that
> >> the merger is approved?
> >
> >I had the opportunity to ask a T-Mobile major accounts rep that exact
question
> >a few weeks ago, and the answer was a resounding "I'm not sure."
> >
> >I don't think anything is an absolute yet. (Except the fact that the
merger's
> >going through :)
>
> T-Mobile USA to End Network Venture with Cingular and Acquire
> California/Nevada Network and Spectrum
> http://tmobile.com/company/pressroom/pressrelease100.as...
>
> BELLEVUE, Washington - 05/25/2004 - T-Mobile USA, Inc. ("T-Mobile
> USA"), the U.S. operating subsidiary of T-Mobile International AG &
> Co. KG ("T-Mobile International"), the mobile communications
> subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom AG (NYSE: DT) ("Deutsche Telekom"),
> today announced it has entered into agreements with Cingular Wireless
> LLC ("Cingular") to terminate their wireless network sharing joint
> venture and for T-Mobile USA to acquire 100% ownership of the shared
> networks in California and Nevada for $2.5 billion. The purchase
> price of $2.5 billion for the GSM network in California/Nevada will
> be offset by $200 million related to the unwinding of the joint
> venture, resulting in a net cash payment of approximately $2.3
> billion to Cingular. In addition, T-Mobile USA will:
>
> * provide network services to Cingular under a wholesale arrangement
> until Cingular's customers in these markets transition to the
> networks it will acquire through its pending merger with AT&T
> Wireless Services, Inc. ("AT&T Wireless");
>
> * replace its existing roaming agreement with Cingular with a new
> nationwide agreement with improved terms;
>
> * transfer 10 MHz of New York spectrum in exchange for certain
> California spectrum owned by Cingular as specified in the termination
> provisions of the joint venture agreement;
>
> * acquire an additional 10 MHz of spectrum from Cingular in certain
> key California markets for $180 million; and
>
> * receive an option to acquire an additional 10 MHz of spectrum in
> other key California markets from Cingular within two years.
>
> [MORE]

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

That nationwide roaming agreement that they mention sounds like T-Mobile
would be entering into an agreement similar to ATTW/Cingular prior to the
merger. If so, that would be a win-win situation for T-Mobile as it would
expand their coverage.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 3:16:36 PM

It is an advantage, also all PCS is an advantage. verizon's network is
not larger in all states. It is all digital and all PCS and smaller
than Sprint PCS in WI.

Jack Zwick wrote:
> In article <vm7io0p55r8mviu7ii4ek0a8h00q0mgs85@4ax.com>,
> Cyrus Afzali <pnsmnyv@lnubb.pbz> wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:47:49 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
>>wrote:

>>>Weird. I remember hearing "the largest nationwide network serving over 280
>>>million people" on Sprint ads... on a regular basis.
>>
>>IIRC, their actual claim was the "largest all digital network."
>

> Isn't SPIN wonderful. Making like having zero native analog capability
> is an advantage.
>

> Verizon has a far larger Network, and likely Cingular too (definately
> once ATTWS towers get integrated), but neither is all digital.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 4:53:19 PM

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 6:36:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular (More info?)

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 12:05:42 GMT, "Carl Keehn"
<carlkeehn@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>That nationwide roaming agreement that they mention sounds like T-Mobile
>would be entering into an agreement similar to ATTW/Cingular prior to the
>merger. If so, that would be a win-win situation for T-Mobile as it would
>expand their coverage.

I wouldn't get tremendously excited about that unless TM officially
begins to support 850 mHz roaming, because that's the frequency most
of Cingular's GSM overlay operates on. As it is now, I don't see any
way that agreement is going to expand the coverage of TM customers.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 7:26:19 PM

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:FQiid.2315$Gm6.885@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

> "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>> Out here in the San Francisco Bay Area, Cingular has much better coverage
> than
>> SprintPCS.
>
> Oh? And how would you know John? I'm not trying to start an argument, but it
> seems that you haven't had SPCS coverage for a long time, if you ever had it
> in the past. Do you subscribe to SPCS service now, and use it?

I have a data point different from John Navas. My wife and I have used SprintPCS
exclusively for the past four years. Initially there were some gaps in coverage,
but it has gotten much better. We travel mostly in the northern Bay area:
Solano, Napa and Sonoma counties. Incidentally, our kids use T-Mobile (it's
cheap), but T-Mobile's coverage is nowhere near as good as Sprint, at least
in our area. I've heard anecdotal remarks from friends that Cingular's coverage
is good in the east and south bay areas, but not that great in the north country.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

In <LKsid.16118$Rf1.233@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com> on Thu, 04 Nov 2004
16:26:19 GMT, "John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote:

>"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:FQiid.2315$Gm6.885@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>
>> "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>>> Out here in the San Francisco Bay Area, Cingular has much better coverage
>> than
>>> SprintPCS.
>>
>> Oh? And how would you know John? I'm not trying to start an argument, but it
>> seems that you haven't had SPCS coverage for a long time, if you ever had it
>> in the past. Do you subscribe to SPCS service now, and use it?
>
>I have a data point different from John Navas. My wife and I have used SprintPCS
>exclusively for the past four years. Initially there were some gaps in coverage,
>but it has gotten much better. We travel mostly in the northern Bay area:
>Solano, Napa and Sonoma counties. Incidentally, our kids use T-Mobile (it's
>cheap), but T-Mobile's coverage is nowhere near as good as Sprint, at least
>in our area. I've heard anecdotal remarks from friends that Cingular's coverage
>is good in the east and south bay areas, but not that great in the north country.

Fair enough -- although I was in Napa recently, I travel mostly around the Bay
(SF, Marin, Richmond, East, Peninsula, and South).

November 4, 2004 9:40:42 PM

John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<c%Whd.3240$_3.35517@typhoon.sonic.net>...
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <1099443100.192637.179230@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> on 2 Nov 2004
> 16:51:40 -0800, larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >I couldn't see anything in that thread that says 280 million. It's
> >still 240 million:
> >
> >http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ueContent.jsp?scTopic...
>
> <http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Page.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3E...;:
>
> "... reaching more than 280 million people..."

The first quote refers to the SPCS native network (including
affiliates, but not roaming partners). The second quote refers to the
total coverage available with the Free & Clear America Plan, which
does include numerous non-affiliated roaming partners. The second
quote says nothing about native coverage on the SPCS network,
therefore the first quote is correct in reference to SPCS native
coverage.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 8:29:57 AM

In <298d9cbf.0411041840.9c88b17@posting.google.com> on 4 Nov 2004 18:40:42
-0800, xff@austin.rr.com (XFF) wrote:

>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<c%Whd.3240$_3.35517@typhoon.sonic.net>...
>>
>> In <1099443100.192637.179230@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> on 2 Nov 2004
>> 16:51:40 -0800, larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> >I couldn't see anything in that thread that says 280 million. It's
>> >still 240 million:
>> >
>> >http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ueContent.jsp?scTopic...
>>
>> <http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Page.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3E...;:
>>
>> "... reaching more than 280 million people..."
>
>The first quote refers to the SPCS native network (including
>affiliates, but not roaming partners). The second quote refers to the
>total coverage available with the Free & Clear America Plan, which
>does include numerous non-affiliated roaming partners. The second
>quote says nothing about native coverage on the SPCS network,
>therefore the first quote is correct in reference to SPCS native
>coverage.

Irrelevant.

November 5, 2004 1:44:21 PM

John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<pdEid.3652$_3.38797@typhoon.sonic.net>...
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <298d9cbf.0411041840.9c88b17@posting.google.com> on 4 Nov 2004 18:40:42
> -0800, xff@austin.rr.com (XFF) wrote:
>
> >John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<c%Whd.3240$_3.35517@typhoon.sonic.net>...

> >> <http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Page.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3E...;:
> >>
> >> "... reaching more than 280 million people..."
> >
> >The first quote refers to the SPCS native network (including
> >affiliates, but not roaming partners). The second quote refers to the
> >total coverage available with the Free & Clear America Plan, which
> >does include numerous non-affiliated roaming partners. The second
> >quote says nothing about native coverage on the SPCS network,
> >therefore the first quote is correct in reference to SPCS native
> >coverage.
>
> Irrelevant.

What exactly are you talking about? What is irrelevant? A delta of
40 million people certainly is not irrelevant when comparing native
coverage areas of various carriers. Any carrier can claim to cover
280 million people (essentially the entire population of the United
States - the 2000 census totalled 281.4 million people) when they
include non-affiliated roaming partners in the calculation. So if
anything, your claim of 280 million people is irrelevant as it doesn't
pertain to SPCS at all but rather to the total available CMRS coverage
availability in the United States - a figure that was not under
dispute in this thread.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 10:00:54 PM

In alt.cellular.sprintpcs XFF <xff@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> 280 million people (essentially the entire population of the United
> States - the 2000 census totalled 281.4 million people) when they

Current estimate is 294,686,178 people in the United States.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse