ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I have a router with 4 ports on it and want to connect to it 6 computers (actualy 5 computers and an Xbox, but that doesn't really matter). Is there some kind of splitter on can buy that will do the job, or will the router not be able to handle (assign IPs, or whatever, to) more than 4 computers?

I had a much better usertitle but was caught trying to hack me a better one so I got my current title as a punishment

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
just get a switch like one of <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=30&manufactory=1605&DEPA=5&sortby=14&order=1" target="_new">these</A>

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
Yeah a hub or preferably a switch will work fine. A router with 4 ports is actually just a router with a built in 4 port switch. So if you have more than 4 PC's, you are going to have to start attaching other hubs/switches to the primary switch built into the router. I use a 1 port router, and attach it directly to my primary switch, along with all my PC's. Probably doesn't make any measurable difference in performance, but I like it better with just 1 switch. :p

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML

A router with 4 ports is actually just a router with a built in 4 port switch.
Some have built in hubs. Good one to watch out for.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003
if you have an uplink port on your router/switch, use it instead of the #1 eth port, unless you have a reason to have them on a differnt subnet, (dont know why you would)