Virtual Memory

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,

I have a server that has 2GB of Ram. It also has two intel xeon
processors running at 3.0 GHZ. Im running on Vmware another Win 2000
Adv server that host a IBM Websphere Portal Server that requires 2 GB
of Ram.
I have three partition on 1 disk, one 10 GB, one 50GB and one 140 GB. I
have a lot of Virtual memory but I think that my settings are wrong.
When Im running Vmware with the Portal Running the machine gets really
slow, so slow that not even the motion of the mouse is continous. In
the task manager, CPU usage is almost always below 20%. Hoewever, Mem
usage says 579660/8754656.
In the virtual memory settings, i have the following
Drive Paging File Size (MB)
C 2559-3072
D 2048-3072
F 2048-3072

How can I manage these setting to make the server faster, because right
now, Its getting really hard to work.

Thanks in advance for all the help,
Dan

Buy RAM.

www.joeware.net

On 27 Apr 2005 15:10:06 -0700, "Dan" <gamesstate@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a server that has 2GB of Ram. It also has two intel xeon
>processors running at 3.0 GHZ. Im running on Vmware another Win 2000
>Adv server that host a IBM Websphere Portal Server that requires 2 GB
>of Ram.
>I have three partition on 1 disk, one 10 GB, one 50GB and one 140 GB. I
>have a lot of Virtual memory but I think that my settings are wrong.
>When Im running Vmware with the Portal Running the machine gets really
>slow, so slow that not even the motion of the mouse is continous. In
>the task manager, CPU usage is almost always below 20%. Hoewever, Mem
>usage says 579660/8754656.
>In the virtual memory settings, i have the following
>Drive Paging File Size (MB)
>C 2559-3072
>D 2048-3072
>F 2048-3072
>
>How can I manage these setting to make the server faster, because right
>now, Its getting really hard to work.
>
>Thanks in advance for all the help,
>Dan

In addition to adding RAM, NEVER NEVER NEVER have more than 1 PageFile on
one physical disk.

I believe (used to be) that the maximum PageFile size is 4095 MB.
Set it on only one of the partitions on this 1 physical disk.

4095 - 4095

The way you are currently configured, you system is spending most of the time move the disk arm
to page.