Upgrade to X2 4800 from a Single Core 4000+ Please Help

x1900xtcooler

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
HI, just a simple question. I am going to upgrade from my Sandiego 4000+ to a X2 4800 and just want to know if I would need to reformat my hard and reinstall windows after doing so? Will I have problems if I dont?

Would just clearing CMOS be enough?

ragemonkey

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
...depends...
You may need to flash your motherboard's BIOS with a newer revision that supports dual cores. It all depends on how old your motherboard is. Your best bet is to goto your mobo's website and look up the model number and refer to it's processor support. If it already supports dual-core chips then just swap the chip and then you're done.

If you need to flash your BIOS then do that first, then swap the chips.

Once all of that is done go to AMD's website and download the dual-core driver and dual-core optimizer utility.

The order to do things would be:

1) Uninstall AMD64 driver -- if installed

2) flash BIOS -- if needed

3) swap processors

4) install AMD64 x2 driver and Dual-Core Optimizer

No, you don't need to reformat. I just did one. You may want to make sure the bios in the machine will support the dual core processor.... if not, goto the manufacturers site, check for the newest bios update, or check the bios you have now, and see if they will support the processor. Should be a piece of cake.

x1900xtcooler

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Wow, the 4000+ is a smoking fast chip, especially in gaming. I'd rethink that decision and save the money. Your next upgrade is gonna be mobo, ram, and video card. Save for that.

Yeah I know its fast as heck at 2900ghz 8) Im afraid to switch it out because I dont know if I can hit that with the X2 4800! but want most games next year be based to take advantage of dual core???

Wow, the 4000+ is a smoking fast chip, especially in gaming. I'd rethink that decision and save the money. Your next upgrade is gonna be mobo, ram, and video card. Save for that.

Yeah I know its fast as heck at 2900ghz 8) Im afraid to switch it out because I dont know if I can hit that with the X2 4800! but want most games next year be based to take advantage of dual core???

I wouldn't bother upgrading. You may feel the itch 'cause you got a single core CPU, but the Athlon 64 4000+ is plenty fast and most games do not take advantage of dual cores.

I would say wait until next year and keep an eye out for dual core game benchmarks. If an Athlon 64 X2 on average can blow away a single core Athlon 64 by 15% then dish out the money for a new CPU.

x1900xtcooler

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006

I wouldn't bother upgrading. You may feel the itch 'cause you got a single core CPU, but the Athlon 64 4000+ is plenty fast and most games do not take advantage of dual cores.

I would say wait until next year and keep an eye out for dual core game benchmarks. If an Athlon 64 X2 on average can blow away a single core Athlon 64 by 15% then dish out the money for a new CPU.

The thing that bothers me is that AMD is supposedly discontinuing the X2's with the 2X1mb Cache and im afraid if I dont get one now that by the time I do get one the cost will be higher because it will be a rare chip.

I am going to stick with S939 for a good while longer and I know this chip will help my system last once dual core gets more support in gaming.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

You will enter into a new experience. GO FOR IT. I did something similar but I only went to 4400+. You don't even need to OC. Of course you can. I run my bus at 220 with no problems. That will take 4800+ to 2.6GHz. SMOKING.

You'll be able to run more programs in the background and get the same frame rates (basically).

x1900xtcooler

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006

You will enter into a new experience. GO FOR IT. I did something similar but I only went to 4400+. You don't even need to OC. Of course you can. I run my bus at 220 with no problems. That will take 4800+ to 2.6GHz. SMOKING.

You'll be able to run more programs in the background and get the same frame rates (basically).

Yeah thats definently nice and all but all I really do on my PC is game and I make sure to disable any background programs running.

I am more interested in rather or not games will finally start to become Coded for dual cores anytime soon? People have been saying it will happen for the past year but as of right now I cannot think of any games that take advantage of it. I think crysis will be the first official game to be coded for dual core which comes out the beggining of next year. :roll:

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
It WILL happen, but no one really knows WHEN. Especially since most games in development are built around single threaded machines, simply because they were started two years ago when there were very few if any dual core processors. Give the devs time to catch up, I'd say in two years, most if not all of games will be coded to take advantage of multicore machines.

x1900xtcooler

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
It WILL happen, but no one really knows WHEN. Especially since most games in development are built around single threaded machines, simply because they were started two years ago when there were very few if any dual core processors. Give the devs time to catch up, I'd say in two years, most if not all of games will be coded to take advantage of multicore machines.

Well hell then there is really no point in me getting one now. By the time dual core games are becoming standered that 4800 X2 will be a turd compared to a modern dual core.

I think I will just wait and see what happens. Damnit I am just itching to spend some money! :lol: