Access denied to NTFS user folder

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Thanks for reading. I have a user folder that I am unable to access, delete
or see any security settings on. Whenever I try to access the folder I get
access denied (through local admin, domain admin and user). I am assuming
somehow this folder has NO permissions in the security and that is why I am
unable to get to it. I have tried deleting from command prompt and tried
taking ownership and resetting permissions, all of which are met with
"access denied". Any thoughts on how I can get into this folder to change
permissions or just to delete it? Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about access denied ntfs user folder
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Try running chkdsk /f

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "QBob" wrote:
    | Thanks for reading. I have a user folder that I am unable to access,
    delete
    | or see any security settings on. Whenever I try to access the folder I
    get
    | access denied (through local admin, domain admin and user). I am assuming
    | somehow this folder has NO permissions in the security and that is why I
    am
    | unable to get to it. I have tried deleting from command prompt and tried
    | taking ownership and resetting permissions, all of which are met with
    | "access denied". Any thoughts on how I can get into this folder to change
    | permissions or just to delete it? Thanks!

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 07:54:35 -0700, "QBob" <hintonrunce@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for reading. I have a user folder that I am unable to access, delete
    >or see any security settings on. Whenever I try to access the folder I get
    >access denied (through local admin, domain admin and user). I am assuming
    >somehow this folder has NO permissions in the security and that is why I am
    >unable to get to it. I have tried deleting from command prompt and tried
    >taking ownership and resetting permissions, all of which are met with
    >"access denied". Any thoughts on how I can get into this folder to change
    >permissions or just to delete it? Thanks!

    The System account may have access.

    AT HH:MM /Interactive CMD.EXE /K
    where HH:MM is 1 or 2 minutes in the future.

    When the CMD window opens in the System context, =use it to start Explorer or CACLs or subInACL
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Jerold Schulman wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 07:54:35 -0700, "QBob" <hintonrunce@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks for reading. I have a user folder that I am unable to access, delete
    >>or see any security settings on. Whenever I try to access the folder I get
    >>access denied (through local admin, domain admin and user). I am assuming
    >>somehow this folder has NO permissions in the security and that is why I am
    >>unable to get to it. I have tried deleting from command prompt and tried
    >>taking ownership and resetting permissions, all of which are met with
    >>"access denied". Any thoughts on how I can get into this folder to change
    >>permissions or just to delete it? Thanks!
    >>

    > The System account may have access.
    >
    > AT HH:MM /Interactive CMD.EXE /K
    > where HH:MM is 1 or 2 minutes in the future.
    >
    > When the CMD window opens in the System context, =use it to start Explorer or CACLs or subInACL

    Things like *that* are why I read newsgroups like this.

    So many valuable tips can be found and filed away for future
    reference.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Rob,

    Haven't seen you in a while! Where have you been? (or have I not been
    looking in the right groups?)

    --
    Todd J Heron, MCSE
    Windows Server 2003/2000/NT; CCA

    Todd J Heron wrote:
    > Rob,
    >
    > Haven't seen you in a while! Where have you been? (or have I not been
    > looking in the right groups?)

    I've been here in m.p.win2000.general and a few of the other W2K
    groups, just not as often as I used to be in the NT4 groups.

    I seldom have questions to ask here, and when I have an answer
    for someone else's question I usually find that others have
    already answered it - hence most days I just read in this
    newsgroup without posting anything.

    As well, lately I have been spending a lot more time with both
    the x64-XP betas and Linux than I have with W2K.

    And I'm finding Linux to be quite a chore and it is taking a lot
    more of my time than I thought it would. :-(
    When I think about it objectively I realize that Linux is not any
    more difficult or complicated than Windows - it is just
    different. My problem is that I have 20 years of DOS and Windows
    habits that are getting in the way of learning how to do things
    differently.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Thanks Rob, the system account and your instructions worked great.

    "Rob Stow" <rob.stow@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Todd J Heron wrote:
    >> Rob,
    >>
    >> Haven't seen you in a while! Where have you been? (or have I not been
    >> looking in the right groups?)
    >>

    > I've been here in m.p.win2000.general and a few of the other W2K groups,
    > just not as often as I used to be in the NT4 groups.
    >
    > I seldom have questions to ask here, and when I have an answer for someone
    > else's question I usually find that others have already answered it -
    > hence most days I just read in this newsgroup without posting anything.
    >
    > As well, lately I have been spending a lot more time with both the x64-XP
    > betas and Linux than I have with W2K.
    >
    > And I'm finding Linux to be quite a chore and it is taking a lot more of
    > my time than I thought it would. :-(
    > When I think about it objectively I realize that Linux is not any more
    > difficult or complicated than Windows - it is just different. My problem
    > is that I have 20 years of DOS and Windows habits that are getting in the
    > way of learning how to do things differently.

Microsoft Permissions Windows