August 7, 2006 4:14:54 PM

Firstly I have a:

Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI, nForce4 SLI, ATX,
Socket-939, SATAII, GbLAN, PCI-Ex16

Cooler Master Cavalier 3 Black
(Without PSU)

Thermaltake Silent Purepower 680W
Powersupply, 20/24pin

I am currently having a problem where my PC refuses to switch on directly after I have truned it off, or have switched off the power. When I press the power button, it just doesn't turn on. I then have to wait usually about 10 mins, and then it switches on perfectly fine.

The button is not broken, as the problem is regular, and the power button works fine all the time when switching off, or resetting (by holding it down). The reset button also works and since they connect at the same point on the motherboard, I do not think the connection with the motherboard is damaged.

My computer works perfectly fine while running, there are no major problems with any of my components. It's just switching on, that there's a problem.

It's thouroughly baffled me.

Any help would be greatly appretiated.

More about : fussy switching

August 7, 2006 9:10:50 PM

I doubt it's my PSU, since it doesn't have any other problems, and doesn't muck up when I'm doing more demanding things on my PC. Plus the fans appear to be working fine.

But then again, my motherboard is pretty new....so I can't really see that mucking up this quicly.

I could try changing the BIOS settings for the AC BACK Function from Soft-Off to Full-On. But if the soft power circuit has gone bad, I can't see why its being dodgy, but working in a perfectly predictable and regular way. I doesn't really make sense.
August 8, 2006 12:47:42 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not the button. Last night I could switch it on and off fine by pressing the button without any problem.

This morning it wouldn't switch on at all.

Currently, I've tried to switch on. I only have power to my keyboard, atm. The Num Lock button works, and I can switch it on and off. When I press the on button the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights flash briefly. It responds like this every time I press the power button.

When my PC is actually on the button works fine, as does the reset button, and they both connect to the same point on my mobo. So it appears to be working perfectly fine.

So, the problem is either being caused by my PSU, or the Soft-Off thing on my mobo (I'm gonna try the Full-On option if I can get back in, so it just powers up as soon as I flick the mains button at the back). Hopefully that'll narrow down whats wrong. But, of course, I need to get my PC to power up first for me to try that....
Edit/Delete Message
Related resources
August 8, 2006 3:04:43 PM

After you push the power button, try waiting a couple of seconds and hitting reset to see if it boots. I recently had a situation like that come up. Turned out to be the PSU.
August 8, 2006 3:12:51 PM

Quote:
After you push the power button, try waiting a couple of seconds and hitting reset to see if it boots. I recently had a situation like that come up. Turned out to be the PSU.

It worked!!!!!

*HUGS!!!!*

If I hit the power button,and then the reset button, it switched on!!!
August 8, 2006 3:15:01 PM

So what was wrong with your PSU, seeing as I probably have the same problem here?

What did you do about it?

p.s. thanks again!!!
August 8, 2006 3:57:24 PM

Had the same problem, it was the psu failing. worked great when i got it to work, but after a few days of doing this, rma'd it after that had no issues what so ever.
August 8, 2006 4:43:08 PM

it is the mounting of the mainboard check it outside the casing?!#@!#@
August 8, 2006 4:50:16 PM

Quote:
So what was wrong with your PSU, seeing as I probably have the same problem here?

What did you do about it?

p.s. thanks again!!!

Dying PSU. I built a computer for my dad and he let me have the PSU from the case (I didn't use it in his build). I popped it in and I didn't have the problem anymore. Just for grins, I put the old one back just to make sure the connections weren't bad, and it did the same thing.

My guess is that your PSU is dying and we're probably both lucky that it didn't "asplode" and take our computers with it.
August 8, 2006 5:16:05 PM

It might still be the board. I have a GA-K8N-Ultra9. It is more or less the same board, just not SLI. I have in inquiry in to the place where I purchased the board and might soon put one in to Gigabyte. Its been about 10 months and I am just now seeing this intermitent problem. I have not tried the power and reset buttons at the same time.

I usually just turned off the PSU (a 10 month old Antec NeoPower 480..... the PSU better be fine), waited a few seconds and turned it on. Recently I have had to hold the power button on when turned the PSU back on if toggling the PSU did not work.
August 8, 2006 5:17:12 PM

Quote:

Dying PSU. I built a computer for my dad and he let me have the PSU from the case (I didn't use it in his build). I popped it in and I didn't have the problem anymore. Just for grins, I put the old one back just to make sure the connections weren't bad, and it did the same thing.

My guess is that your PSU is dying and we're probably both lucky that it didn't "asplode" and take our computers with it.

Okee doke. I should probably get myself a replacement. I've only had this one for a year, grrr!!!

btw. ..should I stop using this computer untill I do that? What are the chances of it "asplode"ing if I continue using it for a bit, untill I get the replacement?
August 8, 2006 5:31:43 PM

Quote:
It might still be the board. I have a GA-K8N-Ultra9.

There may well be something to this. The board I had the issue with is a GA-K8VM800M. Maybe there's something with these Gigabyte boards.

However, I do know that swapping out the PSU has fixed the issue 100% (and the PSU I put in there is just a cheap PSU that came with a $20 case).

edit: Minlack,

You might check the warranty on your current PSU. Many PSUs have a 2year warranty.

And as far as the chances of asploding your computer, it's hard to say. You're most likely fine. That's not to say you couldn't short something the next time you turn it on, though.
August 8, 2006 5:42:27 PM

LOL well before I blame the board 100% I will check out the PSU too. I just read a few recent posts where various supposedly very reliable antec PSU's are having some issues.

Pure speculation but there might be some variation in PSU voltages (hopefully not start up spikes) that the Gigabyte boards don't like. Maybe the start up voltage has dropped to the MB just quits.

BTW my mouse LED is always on as long as the PSU is on. When the computer will not start the mouse light is off. Sometimes after I toggled the PSU the mouse light didn't come back on. Only if the mouse light was on did I have a chance at start up. I think...... I noticed once that when I pressed the start button the mouse light went out, and the PC didn't start. Not sure what this all means other than I know if the MB is seeing some power somewhere. It might be useful information it might be nothing.
August 8, 2006 5:58:33 PM

Quote:
LOL well before I blame the board 100% I will check out the PSU too. I just read a few recent posts where various supposedly very reliable antec PSU's are having some issues.

Well, I just bought a Seasonic to replace that $5 PSU and I'll let you know how it works out.

Maybe these boards don't like good PSUs.
August 8, 2006 6:05:58 PM

The first thing is to take the mainboard out of the case with the ram and the cpu and display card and the mouse attached and test it.
August 8, 2006 6:08:40 PM

Quote:
The first thing is to take the mainboard out of the case with the ram and the cpu and display card and the mouse attached and test it.

What is your suggestion as to how he tests that?
August 8, 2006 6:12:11 PM

nowadays casing and mainboard hole position is not perfect, Short of mainboard can occur on many place particularly near the screw holes.

Remember these are 6 layers mainboards.
August 8, 2006 6:32:05 PM

Hmmmmm. I still very much doubt it's the motherboard. This not a problem I've had from day 1 it was fitted, and it's pretty new. Nothing has been changed inside the case either. Also this is a problem which has been steadily getting worse over time, now to the point that I have to do that start/reset wrangle to get it workng, suggesting that something is malfunctioning, and getting worse.

Sent an e-mail about my Thermaltake's warrenty....quite frankly I have no idea how long it was for. Either way I'll prolly replace it with a Seasonic. We'll see how Nil's Seasonic turns out...hopefully it works fine.

I just replaced my old mobo with the Gigabyte, so I don't wanna replace it again, only to find out that it didn't make a difference.
August 8, 2006 10:03:17 PM

hmm well then I've been having this problem too...good to know that I'm not the only one!

Newly built
ECS Kn1 SLI Lite
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2x512mb average PNY ram from Fry's DDR400 dual channel
Powercolor x800gto 256mb
Zalman NB47J passive northbridge heatsink
2 hard drives currently attached (4 total)
DVD burner
CD burner
4 case fans

All powered by a four year old Antec TruePower (ver. 1) 430 watt power supply. I'm going to end up replacing it with a Raidmax RX-630 630watt supply...

Hopefully it fixes the problem! SpeedFan reports that the 12v line from my supply is only putting out 5.9V :( 
August 8, 2006 10:21:08 PM

Quote:
hmm well then I've been having this problem too...good to know that I'm not the only one!

Newly built
ECS Kn1 SLI Lite
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2x512mb average PNY ram from Fry's DDR400 dual channel
Powercolor x800gto 256mb
Zalman NB47J passive northbridge heatsink
2 hard drives currently attached (4 total)
DVD burner
CD burner
4 case fans

All powered by a four year old Antec TruePower (ver. 1) 430 watt power supply. I'm going to end up replacing it with a Raidmax RX-630 630watt supply...

Hopefully it fixes the problem! SpeedFan reports that the 12v line from my supply is only putting out 5.9V :( 

yeah...dont go with the raidmax

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

much better. half the price.
August 8, 2006 11:10:31 PM

too late...

after tax and shipping overall the Raidmax was cheaper (with rebate)

I was kinda lookin for a good amount of wattage, stable volts, modular, and as a nice touch some leds to light up the case...
and with the reviews I've read (online and newegg), plus the rebate, I figure hey...let's go for it
August 8, 2006 11:50:46 PM

Quote:
too late...

after tax and shipping overall the Raidmax was cheaper (with rebate)

the FSP will kick the raidmax in the nuts, RMA that stuff
August 9, 2006 8:00:13 AM

Lets us know if replacing the PSU fixes the problem, it's sounds like it does. I'll need to order mine at some point.
August 9, 2006 2:28:38 PM

Quote:
Either way I'll prolly replace it with a Seasonic. We'll see how Nil's Seasonic turns out...hopefully it works fine.

Well, the Thermaltakes aren't terrible PSUs. Better a free one then one you have to pay for.
August 9, 2006 3:07:11 PM

It's wiered, because I can't really see anyting else wrong with my PSU. All the power setting in my BIOS say everything is fine. It's just starting up which is the problem. If it were dying, wouldn't I see other effects??
August 9, 2006 4:13:44 PM

SpeedFan says that my current voltages are:

Vcore1: 1.34V
Vcore2: 2.61V
+3.3V: 3.39
+5V: fluxuates between 2 and 5!
+12V: 12.35V

-12V: -7.01V
-5V: -4.80V
+5V: 3.82V
Vbat: 4.08

Now the +5V shoud not be fluxuating like that, should it?
Not sure what that all means tbh...

Plus it says something is at 69C and on fan is at 0 RPM.
Checked my PSU, which is not hot what so ever. The only thing that is is my GPU (which runs pretty warm anyway, which is normal). Plus all the fans are working as far as I can see.
August 10, 2006 6:44:47 PM

speed fan isnt always right, get a multimeter.
August 10, 2006 6:53:09 PM

Hmmmm....I'm starting to suspect my PSU less and less now.

A. It's not hot or making and funny noises.
B. The fans are working.
C. Everything runs normally when I have my PC on.
D. I just added another SATA Hard Drive, and it runs fine with it (hardly a PSU on it's last legs!).

Aslo I gave a go at switching my mobo from Soft-Off mode to Full-On mode.

Now when it switches off it switches off fully (should I be getting a 'It is now safe to turn of your computer' message or something?). I then turn the power off and then back on. Firstly, it only takes just under 1 min for the keyboard to get power as opposed to the 30mins or so before. Then after that I can switch it on immediatly by just pressing the power button (I don't have to wait ages and fumble with the power and reset button).

Two questions!

1. When in Full-On mode, should the PC power up and start to enter to Windows as soon as you flick the PSU switch? Or do you still have to press the power button at the front?

2. Should my PC completely switch off when I shut down, or should it still remain in a 'on' state untill I cut the power myself?

Cheers for any help!!!
August 10, 2006 7:20:23 PM

BAH! Still having the same problems. While switching to Full-On mode does speed up the process of switching on, but I still have all of the problems there.

It just seems like everything starts to get power at different times, like the PSU is charging up or something!! Keyboard then speakers. If I switch it on at a certain point the fans power up but not the CPU etc (usually before I can switch it on with it all working!).

This is just silly. bypassing the thing that could have been wrong with my mobo makes little difference. Also, if a part for my mobo was shorting due to contact with my case then the prob would have been there from the beggining!!!

Heck, I'm just gonna get myself a new PSU!!!!!! It will probably fix the problem (like for others here), and besides my current PSU fans are getting pretty loud these days anyway!!!!

........I'm gonna go lie down.........
August 10, 2006 8:40:35 PM

Quote:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have the knowledge to help you with your questions about full-on mode, but I do know that 1 minute to keyboard power is a long time.

However, the main reason for this post to collect on the new exclaimation point tax. Using more than two in a post results in a $5 per exclaimation point tax. That'll be $75, please.
August 10, 2006 9:11:49 PM

Your PSU is fine. You have no problem. Therefore you cant fix something that inst broken. Go read a book. do a puzzle. ur PSU is fine
August 12, 2006 10:08:29 PM

Well mine WAS the PSU (an Antec Neo480, 10 mo old). An additional symptom was what you described. When I shut down the PC everything turned off, ie my optical mouse usually stayed lit which was normal, but now it was turning off too. I had to turn the PSU off then on to get the computer to start, but eventually that got flakey too and no longer worked.

BTW thanks to the "Geek Squad" for the below help, for free no less.

They did not have a load tester, but the generic tester showed the PSU as "ok" ie a green LED came on when the remote power on was triggered. That doesn't mean it is good, just it was not completely dead. We hooked it up to a 20 pin computer and it powered it up. Weird. Just to be sure, it was not the MB I asked if we could try to power my PC with a different PSU. They dug out a PSU and I hooked up the MB and it booted up. There was no obligation to by a PSU from them. lol they even said they didn't have one good enough for my PC at their store.

Gigabyte K8N Ultra-9
AMD X2 4400
7800GTX
2G OCZ
1HD + 2DVD
August 14, 2006 7:53:11 PM

Just came back from being away for the weekend. My computer wil not power up at all now.

The PSU can handle the load of my PC, because it has done so for a good year now.

It is not a problem with the mobo, due to my experimenting with settings and the fact that the mobo LED doesn't light up (no power at all basically).

My PSU is making a funny high pitched humming sound, which sort of suggests it's just koncked out now.

Gonna order a new PSU tomorrow, which should sort the problem.

p.s. Nil, your check for $75 is in the post.
August 15, 2006 2:16:59 AM

Before with my old psu my power led would flicker, and similar to the optical mouse led situation, I have a gamepad connected to my computer that seems to have a small light indicator lit up constantly, but would shut off after trying to turn the pc on. Guess that meant power wasn't being properly supplied to the system or something I dunno.

In any case, I replaced my power supply with the aformentioned psu in my previous post, and everything is running smooth as silk now. No crashes/bsod's/freezes/and 0 problems powering up the pc.

My psu wasn't makin any funny noises or anything, so I wonder if it still might be good, just that it couldn't power up the new components in my pc.

Previous computer:
Athlon XP 1600+
Radeon 9500
Asus a8n7x v2 deluxe

Current computer:
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Radeon x800GTO
ECS KN1 SLi Lite
August 15, 2006 5:19:44 PM

Mine should be RMA'd. I'll see if Antec has an answer, however they already were hinting that my system was too much for it. coughBScough.

In short
X2 4400+
7800GTX
2 DVD drives
1 HD
1 120mm 5V fan
The other two fans were powered by the fan only connector on the PSU.

A 480W NeoPower should be good enough even on amps. It has 2 12V rails rated at 18A each. Their new "SLI Ready" 500W & 550W PSU's have 3 12V rails with either 17A or 18A each.

Since it started up a 20pin machine maybe is has something to do with the additional 4 pins.
August 15, 2006 8:31:04 PM

Basically I'm getting a Seasonic 430W PSU:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/104478

It's enough to power my system (not SLI). It has all the required cables etc for my mobo and GPU etc. Basically it's pretty much the same as my previous PSU (the Thermaltake) but without the 680W (which was a bit overkill, plus at the time I did intend to eventually go SLI). It has all the same connections as my previous PSU, but hopefully this one will work.

With a bit of luck, this time next week, my PC will be back up and running.
August 16, 2006 3:43:34 PM

Just as an update, I did put the Seasonic in with no problems. Of course, the $5 one was working fine currently, so I can't report that it's working better or anything, but it is working.
August 21, 2006 11:20:07 AM

Same here. Just fitted my new PSU and veerything is good.
!