Cluster Log error message

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering (More info?)

Hello to all,

I'm investigating an application outage issue on a 2-node W2K Adv Server
cluster. A Generic Application is running on the cluster in a remote site,
and connects to a UNIX-based Oracle db at my site. There are intermittent
MRxSMB 3019 Event IDs which I'm not too worried about. I just used Q138365
to adjust the autodisconnect value to -1.

But I'm finding this error message in the Cluster log:

Network Name <Network Name CLUSTER VIRTUAL NAME>: Failed to register DNS PTR
record X.X.X.X.in-addr.arpa. for host CLUSTER VIRTUAL NAME FQDN, status 9005

I can't find anything documented about this error, so I can't tell if this
is something to be concerned about. Is it nothing, a cluster service
problem, DNS registraion problem?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Chris,

This is what status 9005 means:

# for decimal 9005 / hex 0x232d :
DNS_ERROR_RCODE_REFUSED
# DNS operation refused.

One of the following article should help you resolve this error in the
Cluster Log:

326644 How to Use DNS Traffic to Troubleshoot Windows 2000 Cluster Virtual
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326644

316239 SRV Records Cannot Be Registered on a DNS Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316239

But you may need to try enabling Kerberos if all the above fail:

235529 Kerberos support on Windows 2000-based server clusters
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=235529

--------------------
Hope this helps,
Mike Rosado
Windows 2000 MCSE + MCDBA
Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
Windows NT/2000/2003 Cluster Technologies

<http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>

> I'm investigating an application outage issue on a 2-node W2K Adv Server
> cluster. A Generic Application is running on the cluster in a remote
site,
> and connects to a UNIX-based Oracle db at my site. There are
intermittent
> MRxSMB 3019 Event IDs which I'm not too worried about. I just used
Q138365
> to adjust the autodisconnect value to -1.
>
> But I'm finding this error message in the Cluster log:
>
> Network Name <Network Name CLUSTER VIRTUAL NAME>: Failed to register DNS
PTR
> record X.X.X.X.in-addr.arpa. for host CLUSTER VIRTUAL NAME FQDN, status
9005

> I can't find anything documented about this error, so I can't tell if
this
> is something to be concerned about. Is it nothing, a cluster service
> problem, DNS registraion problem?

> Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering (More info?)

Hey I had this error as well when I was setting up my cluster :)

To fix it:

o Right-click the network connection for your heartbeat adapter, and then
click Properties.
o Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties
o On the DNS tab, verify that no values are defined. Make sure that the
Register this connection's address in DNS is cleared.

Hope this helps!!

> Hello to all,
>
> I'm investigating an application outage issue on a 2-node W2K Adv Server
> cluster. A Generic Application is running on the cluster in a remote
site,
> and connects to a UNIX-based Oracle db at my site. There are intermittent
> MRxSMB 3019 Event IDs which I'm not too worried about. I just used
Q138365
> to adjust the autodisconnect value to -1.
>
> But I'm finding this error message in the Cluster log:
>
> Network Name <Network Name CLUSTER VIRTUAL NAME>: Failed to register DNS
PTR
> record X.X.X.X.in-addr.arpa. for host CLUSTER VIRTUAL NAME FQDN, status
9005

> I can't find anything documented about this error, so I can't tell if this
> is something to be concerned about. Is it nothing, a cluster service
> problem, DNS registraion problem?

> Thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS