Cluster Log error message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering (More info?)

Hello to all,

I'm investigating an application outage issue on a 2-node W2K Adv Server
cluster. A Generic Application is running on the cluster in a remote site,
and connects to a UNIX-based Oracle db at my site. There are intermittent
MRxSMB 3019 Event IDs which I'm not too worried about. I just used Q138365
to adjust the autodisconnect value to -1.

But I'm finding this error message in the Cluster log:

Network Name <Network Name CLUSTER VIRTUAL NAME>: Failed to register DNS PTR
record X.X.X.X.in-addr.arpa. for host CLUSTER VIRTUAL NAME FQDN, status 9005

I can't find anything documented about this error, so I can't tell if this
is something to be concerned about. Is it nothing, a cluster service
problem, DNS registraion problem?

Thanks in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about cluster error message

    Hi Chris,

    This is what status 9005 means:

    # for decimal 9005 / hex 0x232d :
    DNS_ERROR_RCODE_REFUSED
    # DNS operation refused.

    One of the following article should help you resolve this error in the
    Cluster Log:

    326644 How to Use DNS Traffic to Troubleshoot Windows 2000 Cluster Virtual
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326644

    316239 SRV Records Cannot Be Registered on a DNS Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316239

    But you may need to try enabling Kerberos if all the above fail:

    235529 Kerberos support on Windows 2000-based server clusters
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=235529

    --------------------
    Hope this helps,
    Mike Rosado
    Windows 2000 MCSE + MCDBA
    Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
    Windows NT/2000/2003 Cluster Technologies

    <http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>

    > I'm investigating an application outage issue on a 2-node W2K Adv Server
    > cluster. A Generic Application is running on the cluster in a remote
    site,
    > and connects to a UNIX-based Oracle db at my site. There are
    intermittent
    > MRxSMB 3019 Event IDs which I'm not too worried about. I just used
    Q138365
    > to adjust the autodisconnect value to -1.
    >
    > But I'm finding this error message in the Cluster log:
    >
    > Network Name <Network Name CLUSTER VIRTUAL NAME>: Failed to register DNS
    PTR
    > record X.X.X.X.in-addr.arpa. for host CLUSTER VIRTUAL NAME FQDN, status
    9005

    > I can't find anything documented about this error, so I can't tell if
    this
    > is something to be concerned about. Is it nothing, a cluster service
    > problem, DNS registraion problem?

    > Thanks in advance.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering (More info?)

    Hey I had this error as well when I was setting up my cluster :)

    To fix it:

    o Right-click the network connection for your heartbeat adapter, and then
    click Properties.
    o Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties
    o On the DNS tab, verify that no values are defined. Make sure that the
    Register this connection's address in DNS is cleared.

    Hope this helps!!

    > Hello to all,
    >
    > I'm investigating an application outage issue on a 2-node W2K Adv Server
    > cluster. A Generic Application is running on the cluster in a remote
    site,
    > and connects to a UNIX-based Oracle db at my site. There are intermittent
    > MRxSMB 3019 Event IDs which I'm not too worried about. I just used
    Q138365
    > to adjust the autodisconnect value to -1.
    >
    > But I'm finding this error message in the Cluster log:
    >
    > Network Name <Network Name CLUSTER VIRTUAL NAME>: Failed to register DNS
    PTR
    > record X.X.X.X.in-addr.arpa. for host CLUSTER VIRTUAL NAME FQDN, status
    9005

    > I can't find anything documented about this error, so I can't tell if this
    > is something to be concerned about. Is it nothing, a cluster service
    > problem, DNS registraion problem?

    > Thanks in advance.

Microsoft Error Message Servers Windows