Failing FX5950 Ultra?

grimmysnr

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Recently iv posted a few threads in various different forums concerning a 3.3v power draw. I thought at first it was a failing power supply Antec 430w, which i later replaced with an OCZ GameXstream 700w. I then posted in the Asus forums thinking it could be something related with that. Received very few responses though.

However, when i replaced the psu all my other rails' voltages cleaned up (whereas before my 12v, 3.3v and 5v rails where fluxing +-15% respectively more minus).

Heres what makes me think its my vid card, when not in a game sitting at the desktop (2d mode) my 3.3v rail sets perfectly at 3.248ish and stays theres rock solid. When playing a game (world of warcraft for example) my 3.3v rail fluxes wildly -+8% about 3.0-3.2 But this is only in 3d mode when the 3d core activates. As soon as i shut down the game my 3.3v rail returns to a rock solid 3.248

Any ideas? The card is made by EVGA and im pretty sure with its age dealing with the hassle of RMAing it will outweigh the benefits.

Should i consider something else? I plan on going SLi with a conroe build in the very near future once the 590 boards become available. Will i be ok until then?

Thanks