Maximum file size in win2k advanced server

Hi,

We are planning for Data conversion. We will be moving files from Unix to
windows. I just want to know what is the maximum text file size allowed in
windows 2k advanced server.

Thank you

regards
senk
1 answer Last reply
More about maximum file size win2k advanced server

    From the resource kit;

    Table 3.10 FAT16 Size Limits

    Description Limit
    Maximum file size 2^32 - 1 bytes
    Maximum volume size 4 GB
    Files per volume 2^16

    Maximum Sizes on FAT32 Volumes
    The FAT32 volume must have at least 65,527 clusters. The maximum number of
    clusters on a FAT32 volume is 4,177,918. Windows 2000 creates volumes up to
    32 GB, but you can use larger volumes created by other operating systems
    such as Windows 98. Table 3.11 lists FAT32 size limits.

    Table 3.11 FAT32 Size Limits

    Description Limit
    Maximum file size 2^32 - 1 bytes
    Maximum volume size 32 GB (This is due to the Windows 2000 format utility.
    The maximum volume size that Windows 98 can create is 127.53 GB).
    Files per volume Approximately 4 million

    Important

    Windows 2000 can format new FAT32 volumes up to 32 GB in size but can mount
    larger volumes (for example, up to 127.53 GB and 4,177,918 clusters from a
    volume formatted with the limits of Windows 98). It is possible to mount
    volumes that exceed these limits, but doing so has not been tested and is
    not recommended.

    Maximum Sizes on NTFS Volumes
    In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 2^32 clusters. However, even if
    there were hardware available to supply a logical volume of that capacity,
    there are other limitations to the maximum size of a volume.

    One of these limitations is partition tables. By industry standards,
    partition tables are limited to 2^32 sectors. Sector size, another
    limitation, is a function of hardware and industry standards, and is
    typically 512 bytes. While sector sizes might increase in the future, the
    current size puts a limit on a single volume of 2 terabytes (2^32 * 512
    bytes, or 241 bytes).

    For now, 2 terabytes should be considered the practical limit for both
    physical and logical volumes using NTFS.

    The maximum number of files on an NTFS volume is 2^32 - 1. Table 3.12 lists
    NTFS size limits.

    Table 3.12 NTFS Size Limits

    Description Limit
    Maximum file size 264 bytes - 1 KB (On disk format)
    244 bytes - 64 KB (Implementation)

    Maximum volume size 264 allocation units (On disk format)
    2^32 allocation units (Implementation)

    Files per volume 2^32 - 1

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Ramuk" wrote:
    | Hi,
    |
    | We are planning for Data conversion. We will be moving files from Unix to
    | windows. I just want to know what is the maximum text file size allowed in
    | windows 2k advanced server.
    |
    | Thank you
    |
    | regards
    | senk

File Size Moving Files Microsoft Servers Windows