Restoring Address book

I recently had to re-install my Windows XP Pro operating system. The process
did not delete my program files and after going through the process I was
able to re-create shortcuts to all my programs, recover my documents and even
my favourites in IE6.
However, I don’t know how to recover my Outlook Express 6 Address Book and
contents of my Sent Items and Inbox folders. (I was able to set up my e-mail
account again just fine but the Address Book and all folders are empty).
Can these be recovered? Where does the operating system store these?
Thanks
HiramHC
Sydney Australia
1 answer Last reply
More about restoring address book

    "HiramHC" <HiramHC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently had to re-install my Windows XP Pro operating system. The
    >process
    > did not delete my program files and after going through the process I was
    > able to re-create shortcuts to all my programs, recover my documents and
    > even
    > my favourites in IE6.
    > However, I don't know how to recover my Outlook Express 6 Address Book and
    > contents of my Sent Items and Inbox folders. (I was able to set up my
    > e-mail
    > account again just fine but the Address Book and all folders are empty).
    > Can these be recovered? Where does the operating system store these?
    > Thanks
    > HiramHC
    > Sydney Australia

    Recovered?

    It depends on what you still have (on disk, backed up or not) and what you
    did with the re-install.

    AFA the address book is concerened.
    This is normally kept in \:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<your loginname>\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Address Book as
    <your loginname>.wab

    If after re-install you created a new loginname not equal to your old
    loginname then you could just rename the old one to the new name and put it
    in the newname location under <new loginname>.wab

    AFA the mail(folders) is concerned.
    Those are normally kept in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<your loginname>\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Identities\{A7643346-DC5E-4D88-947E-CE7D3BB8D00F}\Microsoft\Outlook
    Express
    with pretty much self-explanatory filenames like inbox.dbx and so on.
    See if the <old loginname> structure still exists.
    If so, you're lucky.
    Simply copy all the files there into the <new loginname> location and you
    should have everything back.

    Hope this helps a little to get you back on track.

    george

Windows XP Books