Restoring Address book

I recently had to re-install my Windows XP Pro operating system. The process
did not delete my program files and after going through the process I was
able to re-create shortcuts to all my programs, recover my documents and even
my favourites in IE6.
However, I don’t know how to recover my Outlook Express 6 Address Book and
contents of my Sent Items and Inbox folders. (I was able to set up my e-mail
account again just fine but the Address Book and all folders are empty).
Can these be recovered? Where does the operating system store these?
Thanks
HiramHC
Sydney Australia

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"HiramHC" <HiramHC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently had to re-install my Windows XP Pro operating system. The
>process
> did not delete my program files and after going through the process I was
> able to re-create shortcuts to all my programs, recover my documents and
> even
> my favourites in IE6.
> However, I don't know how to recover my Outlook Express 6 Address Book and
> contents of my Sent Items and Inbox folders. (I was able to set up my
> e-mail
> account again just fine but the Address Book and all folders are empty).
> Can these be recovered? Where does the operating system store these?
> Thanks
> HiramHC
> Sydney Australia

Recovered?

It depends on what you still have (on disk, backed up or not) and what you
did with the re-install.

AFA the address book is concerened.
This is normally kept in \:
C:\Documents and Settings\<your loginname>\Application
Data\Microsoft\Address Book as
<your loginname>.wab

If after re-install you created a new loginname not equal to your old
loginname then you could just rename the old one to the new name and put it
in the newname location under <new loginname>.wab

AFA the mail(folders) is concerned.
Those are normally kept in:
C:\Documents and Settings\<your loginname>\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{A7643346-DC5E-4D88-947E-CE7D3BB8D00F}\Microsoft\Outlook
Express
with pretty much self-explanatory filenames like inbox.dbx and so on.
See if the <old loginname> structure still exists.
If so, you're lucky.
Simply copy all the files there into the <new loginname> location and you
should have everything back.

Hope this helps a little to get you back on track.

george