Software VPN vs Linksys BEFVP41 Hardware VPN

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 16, 2005 3:16:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi All,

I have a network of BEFVP41 VPN endpoint routers connecting my WAN together.
They are flakey and disconnect from each other all the time. I spend
countless hours reconnecting them for my clients.

I want to use my windows 2000 adv servers to replace the need for them using
RRAS.

I'm attempting to accomplish this using a demand-dial interface in RRAS.
I've configured it and it connects just great, however I can't even ping the
server to which I'm connected.

With the BEFVP41 VPN endpoints I'm able make every node on network A see all
nodes on network B. This is my goal using RRAS.

This this possible? If so, where can I get more information on this
configuration?

Thanks so much.

Michael
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 2:02:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

First, to keep from chasing our tails...
Make sure the RRAS boxes are configured properly to begin with. Deal with
Routing once that is established. At this early point I am not aware enough
of your exact topology design (logical or physical) to comment more.

Virtual Private Networking with Windows Server 2003: Deploying Site-to-Site
VPNs
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...

Virtual Private Networking with Windows 2000: Deploying Router-to-Router
VPNs
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/...

Please, don't post to so many Groups. It tends to be the same people
answering questions in most of them anyway. So we *will* see it ;-)

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

"Michael Mishler" <no-email@none.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have a network of BEFVP41 VPN endpoint routers connecting my WAN
together.
> They are flakey and disconnect from each other all the time. I spend
> countless hours reconnecting them for my clients.
>
> I want to use my windows 2000 adv servers to replace the need for them
using
> RRAS.
>
> I'm attempting to accomplish this using a demand-dial interface in RRAS.
> I've configured it and it connects just great, however I can't even ping
the
> server to which I'm connected.
>
> With the BEFVP41 VPN endpoints I'm able make every node on network A see
all
> nodes on network B. This is my goal using RRAS.
>
> This this possible? If so, where can I get more information on this
> configuration?
>
> Thanks so much.
>
> Michael

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:41:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I'm having a bit of a problem with my Router-RRAS vpn working. I'm
thinking of just giving up and getting another linksys to handle it
instead of rras. This will also lighten the load on the server.

If the BEFVP41 units are flaking out, would it be possible to upgrade to
a Linksys RV series, or Cisco?

!