Clustering configuration info

Hi,
Could anybody tell me ,which specific sectors on the disk is Cluster
configuration written to?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Advanced-Server-Clustering-configuration-info-ftopict373458.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1212317

If you mean: How many sectors per cluster:
That will be the very first sector on the partition
The indexes of the files (NTFS) are located in the metafiles (hidden)

If you mean cluster as in "MSCS":
In the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Cluster), and
C:\WIN...\Cluster\ClusDB

--
Chau chau,

Pascalos

"Pascal Damman" wrote:
> If you mean: How many sectors per cluster:
> That will be the very first sector on the partition
> The indexes of the files (NTFS) are located in the metafiles
> (hidden)
>
> If you mean cluster as in "MSCS":
> In the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINECluster), and
> C:WIN...ClusterClusDB
>
> --
> Chau chau,
>
> Pascalos
>

> "Sulagna" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Could anybody tell me ,which specific sectors on the disk is
> Cluster
> > configuration written to?
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> standards
> > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Advanced-Server-Clustering-configuration-info-ftopict373458.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1212317

Hi,
Thanks,I meant the second one.Clusdb is fine but what I meant was, if
I were to do a raw read of the disk, which specific sectors or sector
range on disk is the cluster configuration written on to?

Regards,
Sulagna

Hi Sulagna,

There is no particular "sector" where the configuration is written to,
unless you mean the configuration of the disks (e.g. which disks in a RAID-5
set, which is stored on the RAID controller AND on the disks).

The "cluster configuration" is stored in the "file" ClusDB. To get
information doing a "raw read", you have to consider the following things:
- you can't do a raw read when the system is online (Boot partition is in
use exclusively by the system)
- You have to know NTFS
- When you change one bit, you certainly will have to restore the database

Everything on an NTFS volume is stored in files, and to find the ClusDB
file, you will have to find, open and search the NTFS metafiles, and know the
structure of the disk (e.g. sectors/cluster). In the book "Windows Internals,
4th edition" (http://www.sysinternals.com/windowsinternals.shtml) NTFS is
explained, but there may be more comprehensive books particular for the file
system.

If you can manage all this, you're the BEST!!!

--
Chau chau,

Pascalos

"Pascal Damman" wrote:
> [...]
>   > > > configuration written to?
>   > > >
>   > > > --
>   > > > Posted using the
> http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
>   > > > Articles individually checked for
> conformance to usenet
>  > > standards
>   > > > Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Advanced-Server-Clustering-configuration-info-ftopict373458.html
>   > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.
> req'd). Report abuse:
>   > > >
> >
> > Hi,
> > Thanks,I meant the second one.Clusdb is fine but what I
> meant was, if
> > I were to do a raw read of the disk, which specific sectors
> or sector
> > range on disk is the cluster configuration written on to?

Hi,
Thanks a million .Now I can extract the info. easily by extracting
metadata. Thanks a million again.

Sulagna

"Pascal Damman" wrote:
> [...]
>   > > > configuration written to?
>   > > >
>   > > > --
>   > > > Posted using the
> http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
>   > > > Articles individually checked for
> conformance to usenet
>  > > standards
>   > > > Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Advanced-Server-Clustering-configuration-info-ftopict373458.html
>   > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.
> req'd). Report abuse:
>   > > >
> >
> > Hi,
> > Thanks,I meant the second one.Clusdb is fine but what I
> meant was, if
> > I were to do a raw read of the disk, which specific sectors
> or sector
> > range on disk is the cluster configuration written on to?

Hi,
I have one more question.Can one of the shared disks be the boot disk
too in case of a cluster setup?That is, in order that the cluster
comes up, the disk thru which I boot, can it also be one of the shared
resources?

Regards
Sulagna

This is only supported on Windows 2003 and only after you have applied a
registry hack after installing MSCS. See the following KB article for
details:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886569

Regards,
John