cannot get 2003 server to join my 2000 advanced server dom..

do i need to make 2003 a special server? both 2000, 2003 are eval editions.
does that matter? Goes thru the steps of trying to load AD (2003) but says
cant find or domain does not exist. i have looked in the KB but to no luck.
not a big deal, but like to know if it is possible...
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot 2003 server join 2000 advanced server

    AD requires DNS.

    Set up DNS on the 2000 DC.
    See:
    Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in Windows
    Server 2003

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036

    Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

    How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

    When installing the Win 2k3 server point it to the Win 2k DNS server for
    DNS.

    hth

    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "bondo" <bondo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > do i need to make 2003 a special server? both 2000, 2003 are eval
    > editions.
    > does that matter? Goes thru the steps of trying to load AD (2003) but says
    > cant find or domain does not exist. i have looked in the KB but to no
    > luck.
    > not a big deal, but like to know if it is possible...
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    "Danny Sanders" wrote:

    > AD requires DNS.
    >
    > Set up DNS on the 2000 DC.
    > See:
    > Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in Windows
    > Server 2003
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036
    >

    > Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
    >

    > How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
    >

    > When installing the Win 2k3 server point it to the Win 2k DNS server for
    > DNS.
    >

    > hth
    >
    > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >

    > "bondo" <bondo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > do i need to make 2003 a special server? both 2000, 2003 are eval
    > > editions.
    > > does that matter? Goes thru the steps of trying to load AD (2003) but says
    > > cant find or domain does not exist. i have looked in the KB but to no
    > > luck.
    > > not a big deal, but like to know if it is possible...
    >

    > ill try, but i am sure i have all correct. if not, i will reinstall and see what happens. thanks!!

Domain Microsoft Servers Windows