Active Directory Integrated DNS

Hello all --

I have a stupid question -- when I set up my internal DNS server on my AD
domain controller, and I set it up for AD Integrated, I understand that
means that a copy of the DNS records are stored in all of the DC's in my
organization. But what if, say, that domain controller goes down? Would I
be able to use the other DC's in my org to DNS name resolution? Becusae
when I nslookup and type server dc2.domain.com, it doesn't resolve anything,
even though it's a DC and should have a copy of DNS in it's AD...

Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about active directory integrated

    I understand that
    > means that a copy of the DNS records are stored in all of the DC's in my
    > organization.

    The DC must have DNS installed before any DNS information will get
    replicated to it.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Galvanon" <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote in message
    > Hello all --
    >
    > I have a stupid question -- when I set up my internal DNS server on my AD
    > domain controller, and I set it up for AD Integrated, I understand that
    > means that a copy of the DNS records are stored in all of the DC's in my
    > organization. But what if, say, that domain controller goes down? Would
    > I be able to use the other DC's in my org to DNS name resolution? Becusae
    > when I nslookup and type server dc2.domain.com, it doesn't resolve
    > anything, even though it's a DC and should have a copy of DNS in it's
    > AD...
    >
    > Thanks!

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Ah - ha!!!

    Want to hear how I was doing it? I set my first DC to be a AD-Integrated..
    Then I went to my second DC, and ALSO made it AD Integrated. So, I had 2
    ZONE files... In fact, all I had to do was just install DNS server on each
    DC, and just set up the actual zone files on 1 DC, and it gets replicated
    out automatically...

    Thank you for your help! It all makes much more sense now..

    -B

    "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@NO-SPAMcpcmed.org> wrote in message
    >I understand that
    >> means that a copy of the DNS records are stored in all of the DC's in my
    >> organization.
    >

    > The DC must have DNS installed before any DNS information will get
    > replicated to it.
    >

    > hth
    > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >
    > "Galvanon" <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote in message
    >> Hello all --
    >>
    >> I have a stupid question -- when I set up my internal DNS server on my AD
    >> domain controller, and I set it up for AD Integrated, I understand that
    >> means that a copy of the DNS records are stored in all of the DC's in my
    >> organization. But what if, say, that domain controller goes down? Would
    >> I be able to use the other DC's in my org to DNS name resolution?
    >> Becusae when I nslookup and type server dc2.domain.com, it doesn't
    >> resolve anything, even though it's a DC and should have a copy of DNS in
    >> it's AD...
    >>
    >> Thanks!

Domain Controller DNS Active Directory Windows