Active Directory Integrated DNS

Hello all --

I have a stupid question -- when I set up my internal DNS server on my AD
domain controller, and I set it up for AD Integrated, I understand that
means that a copy of the DNS records are stored in all of the DC's in my
organization. But what if, say, that domain controller goes down? Would I
be able to use the other DC's in my org to DNS name resolution? Becusae
when I nslookup and type server dc2.domain.com, it doesn't resolve anything,
even though it's a DC and should have a copy of DNS in it's AD...

Thanks!

I understand that
> means that a copy of the DNS records are stored in all of the DC's in my
> organization.

The DC must have DNS installed before any DNS information will get
replicated to it.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Galvanon" <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote in message
> Hello all --
>
> I have a stupid question -- when I set up my internal DNS server on my AD
> domain controller, and I set it up for AD Integrated, I understand that
> means that a copy of the DNS records are stored in all of the DC's in my
> organization. But what if, say, that domain controller goes down? Would
> I be able to use the other DC's in my org to DNS name resolution? Becusae
> when I nslookup and type server dc2.domain.com, it doesn't resolve
> anything, even though it's a DC and should have a copy of DNS in it's
> AD...
>
> Thanks!

Ah - ha!!!

Want to hear how I was doing it? I set my first DC to be a AD-Integrated..
Then I went to my second DC, and ALSO made it AD Integrated. So, I had 2
ZONE files... In fact, all I had to do was just install DNS server on each
DC, and just set up the actual zone files on 1 DC, and it gets replicated
out automatically...

Thank you for your help! It all makes much more sense now..

-B