  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
December 23, 2004 9:35:41 PM

Is there such a thing? I mean, it obviously wouldn't make sense as a spell
by itself, unless they designed it to cost as much or more magicka than it
restores. I just want to enchant an item with it. A CE Restore Magicka
item would be a huge help for a spellcaster. Failing that, are there any
unique items with this property in the game? I've yet to find one. I hate
having to keep using potions or resting in order to be able to cast spells
again. Anything that gradually recharges you would be really handy.

More about : restore magicka spell

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 3:19:54 AM

In article <VpWdnVho-eM5yVbcRVn-qA@giganews.com>, i.dont@think.so
says...
> Is there such a thing? I mean, it obviously wouldn't make sense as a spell
> by itself, unless they designed it to cost as much or more magicka than it
> restores. I just want to enchant an item with it. A CE Restore Magicka
> item would be a huge help for a spellcaster. Failing that, are there any
> unique items with this property in the game? I've yet to find one. I hate
> having to keep using potions or resting in order to be able to cast spells
> again. Anything that gradually recharges you would be really handy.

I'm unaware of any such thing, but there are mods that cause majicka to
regenerate on it's own. I'm using one now called Mana Regen 1.3. The
rate of regeneration is dependant on your character's willpower. With a
willpower of 100 your character will regenerate 1 point of majicka per
second. I'm quite happy with it. My PC can cast Water Walking and have
her majicka fully regenerated before she has to cast the spell again.

IIRC it's listed simply as Mana Regen in the search list at Morrowind
Summit. If you install it in an existing game the script won't start
running until your PC travels either by boat or stilt strider.

--
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
-Mark Twain

The latest version of MTT is version IV (you can find a link to it in
the forums at Morrowind.com...Chris Woods site). I just started this
mod and it is great for the experienced player because it adds so many
new things to the game.

In the regular game, you can usually (but not always) regenerate your
mana by drinking enough sujamma/matze/etc to lower your intellect to 0.
When your intellect returns to normal, you usually get your magika
recharged as well. Note, however, that sometimes this fails several
times in a row (so it is handy to have at least one restore magika
potion). For fighters and thieves, this may well be all the magika
restore they ever need.

Some-perhaps all-of the alchemists who sell Exquisite potions of
restore magika restock their supply continueally. White Haven in
Balmora is one such alchemist.

And, of course, you can make your own restore magika potions. although
most of the ingredients are expensive, money is NOT a problem for very
long in this game as there are very few things to spend your wealth on.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 2:23:35 PM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> Is there such a thing?

Not in unmodded Morrowind.

A couple of mods add magicka regeneration in some way. The recently
discussed Magickal Trinkets of Tamriel III mod for example adds the
possibility to regenerate magicka in quite unique ways. I find it nice,
but the benefit comes with a disadvantage in this mod, so quite
balanced. It's surprisingly little helpful sometimes, as you often need
much magicka in a short time, and run around fully charged most of the
time anyways. So gulping down a couple of mana potions during a tough
battle is still needed.
December 24, 2004 2:23:36 PM

> Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Is there such a thing?

There's a loophole in the game that you can take advantage of. You may have
noticed that when you drink sujamma (which buffs up strength but drains
intelligence to 0), your magicka is fully restored when it wears off.

So if you create a spell of drain intelligence to 0 on self with a duration
of 1 second, you have a restore magicka spell. Technically it's not
cheating, but you'll have to decide if you want to exploit the game or
not...
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 4:32:29 PM

> There's a loophole in the game that you can take advantage of. You may
have
> noticed that when you drink sujamma (which buffs up strength but drains
> intelligence to 0), your magicka is fully restored when it wears off.

Heh. I don't carry around any of those liqours anymore. They're just too
heavy. I'll make an exception for Flin early in the game, and I often carry
around a bottle or two of Telvanni Bug Musk for special occasions, but
Sujamma, Shein, Matze and the like are just more trouble than it's worth to
carry around. (I absolutely hated those quests where the guy says "Okay,
here, deliver these 20 bottles of Matze to so-and-so. Great, like I've got
enough room to carry around 100 units of weight for you. My armor and
weapons alone keep me pretty well encumbered most of the time...)

> So if you create a spell of drain intelligence to 0 on self with a
duration
> of 1 second, you have a restore magicka spell. Technically it's not
> cheating, but you'll have to decide if you want to exploit the game or
> not...

I'm just surprised that the spell doesn't exist on its own. I can make a CE
Restore Health item, and if it weren't for spellcasting, I'd never need to
rest or take a potion ever. Maybe if they allowed Restore Magicka, but made
it prohibitively expensive charge-wise, so you could maybe get a CE Restore
Magicka item, but only 1 or 2 points, even on exquisite jewelry with a
Golden Saint soul...
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 4:32:30 PM

And Darrel Hoffman saith unto the gathered multitudes:

> I'm just surprised that the spell doesn't exist on its own. I can make a CE
> Restore Health item, and if it weren't for spellcasting, I'd never need to
> rest or take a potion ever. Maybe if they allowed Restore Magicka, but made
> it prohibitively expensive charge-wise, so you could maybe get a CE Restore
> Magicka item, but only 1 or 2 points, even on exquisite jewelry with a
> Golden Saint soul...

A slow regeneration wouldn't even be unbalancing - no help in battles,
but nice to regain while wandering. I added a Mage Belt that gives CE
Restore Magicka 0-2, which works fine.

-mietres
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 6:39:25 PM

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:35:41 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>Is there such a thing? I mean, it obviously wouldn't make sense as a spell
>by itself, unless they designed it to cost as much or more magicka than it
>restores. I just want to enchant an item with it. A CE Restore Magicka
>item would be a huge help for a spellcaster.

The spell effect does exist, but you've neatly summed up why they didn't
put it into any learnable form; it would just be too useful for items.
As far as I know, the unmodified game only has potions with this effect.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 11:08:43 AM

The Autronarch is the one character that does not regenerate magic by
sleeping. However, never fear, you have made a good choice. Any time
you intercept a spell, you can absorb magicka (and not get fried by the
spell). If you go to a temple and pray for restoring your attributes
(imperial or dumner), then you will get your magika fully restored as
well as your stats (if they have been damaged).

You can also buy/make potions that restore magicka. Once you get adept
at
potion making, this well be very effective.

Another way to regenerate magika is to drain your intellect to 0; when
it restores to normal, your magicka will (usually) be restored along
with it. Matze and Sujamma work well at the beginning of the game as
they are cheap and available at many taverns. Note, that liquor does
not always work, so have a backup.

If you join the Mage's guild, you can access the mage guild chest,
wherein are stored some restore magika potions. Also, most--maybe
all--vendors that sell exquisite potions of restore magika restock
every time you buy. so you can buy an infinite number of these. Yes,
they are expensive; but a good mage can have $$ coming out the wazzoo
by making their own potions and selling them, by trapping souls in soul
gems, and by the more mundane means of looting caves, tombs, and other
habitates of evil-doers.

There are also mods that allow you to regenerate magika via amultes,
etc. morrowind.com has links to many of the mods sites.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 1:47:21 PM

> A slow regeneration wouldn't even be unbalancing - no help in battles,
> but nice to regain while wandering. I added a Mage Belt that gives CE
> Restore Magicka 0-2, which works fine.

It's especially a problem for my current character. I wanted to do a
spellcaster, and I read somewhere that a Breton with birthsign Atronach is
the best way to go. Okay, so I have a lot of Magicka, and it takes a while
to run out, but once I do, it's almost impossible to recharge again. Can't
get Magicka by resting, and potions, I'd have to carry so many of them it
would be ridiculous. I know I can get recharged by being attacked with
magic, but first I have to find spellcasters, and then I have to let them
beat me up for a while, and that can really hurt. Is there some special
trick people use in order to get their mana back when playing Atronach
characters?

Oh, about that belt - how would I go about getting one? Do I have to make a
mod? Or can I just do something in the console? I can't believe that
Bethesda thought a slow magicka-regenerating item would be so unbalancing
that not only is it impossible to make one without cheating, but that there
aren't even any unique items anywhere that do this. In almost every other
RPG I've ever seen, your Magicka/Mana/Energy regenerates slowly over time,
just naturally. Morrowind is the first I've seen where it not only doesn't
regenerate, but you can't even find or make (legitimately) an item to make
it regenerate. They must really have something against spellcasters...
December 25, 2004 2:05:40 PM

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
news:o K-dneJP5Ld8FFDcRVn-ow@giganews.com...

> Is there some special
> trick people use in order to get their mana back when playing Atronach
> characters?

Yeah, the trick I posted earlier (drain intelligence to 0).

Also, you can have your magicka restored at imperial cult altar (restore
attributes) and at shrines of St. Veloth and the Tribunal (almsivi
restoration).

> They must really have something against spellcasters...

With Daggerfall, most players felt magic was overpowered. So they tried to
temper that with Morrowind and went too far the other way, something they've
admitted in interviews. For Oblivion, one of their goals is to make sure
that a player can complete the game using only magic.
December 25, 2004 2:06:31 PM

> Heh. I don't carry around any of those liqours anymore. They're just too
> heavy. I'll make an exception for Flin early in the game, and I often
> carry
> around a bottle or two of Telvanni Bug Musk for special occasions, but
> Sujamma, Shein, Matze and the like are just more trouble than it's worth
> carry around.

I only use Telvanni Bug Musk. My characters don't use the others. Sujamma,
in particular, is very unbalancing.

> (I absolutely hated those quests where the guy says "Okay,
> here, deliver these 20 bottles of Matze to so-and-so.

Me too.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 4:23:46 PM

And Darrel Hoffman saith unto the gathered multitudes:

>>A slow regeneration wouldn't even be unbalancing - no help in battles,
>>but nice to regain while wandering. I added a Mage Belt that gives CE
>>Restore Magicka 0-2, which works fine.
>

> It's especially a problem for my current character. I wanted to do a
> spellcaster, and I read somewhere that a Breton with birthsign Atronach is
> the best way to go. Okay, so I have a lot of Magicka, and it takes a while
> to run out, but once I do, it's almost impossible to recharge again. Can't
> get Magicka by resting, and potions, I'd have to carry so many of them it
> would be ridiculous. I know I can get recharged by being attacked with
> magic, but first I have to find spellcasters, and then I have to let them
> beat me up for a while, and that can really hurt. Is there some special
> trick people use in order to get their mana back when playing Atronach
> characters?

If you create your own potions, one can completely restore your magicka
once you get high skills.

> Oh, about that belt - how would I go about getting one? Do I have to make a
> mod?

Yes, but it's pretty simple. The CS interface looks daunting at first,
but it's easy to go to clothing, rename an item, change it's stats, and
save. Then add your mod to data on startup and "player -> additem
YourItemName 1" puts it in your inventory.

-mietres
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 1:32:57 PM

> Yeah, the trick I posted earlier (drain intelligence to 0).

Hmm. Would this work if I enchanted an item with Drain Intelligience on
Self for 1 Second? That'd be better than carrying potions around. Now,
does it only work if you get it all the way down to 0? That could become a
problem, since as a spell-caster, I expect I will be pumping up my
Intelligence quite a lot as I play, and the higher it gets, the more it
would need to be drained to make it work. It seems to me I recall an item
that did this. It was during the mission for Sheogorath where I had to kill
a Netch with a fork. Or did that just drain Magicka? I'll have to check on
that one...
December 26, 2004 1:50:47 PM

Atronach is pretty easy to fix. Just make sure you can cast a Summon
Ancestor Spirit (doesn't Atronach come with that ? Or is that only with
Wakim's improvements ?).

Don't let your mana go to zero - keep enough to summon an ancestor spirit.
Then attack it so that it starts throwing spells at you. Do this a few times
and you can regenerate to full magicka. This can be done even at low levels,
although a brand new character might have some problems.

For higher level characters the Suran Underworld mod has a side quest which
adds a ring with a CE restore magicka (one point from memory). Suran
Underworld is a great mod, but apart from the first couple of quests it is
only for higher level characters.

JC
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 5:05:14 PM

In article <oK-dneJP5Ld8FFDcRVn-ow@giganews.com>, i.dont@think.so
says...
> It's especially a problem for my current character. I wanted to do a
> spellcaster, and I read somewhere that a Breton with birthsign Atronach is
> the best way to go. Okay, so I have a lot of Magicka, and it takes a while
> to run out, but once I do, it's almost impossible to recharge again.

It helps if you have an item or a spell that further increases magic
absorption.
My High Elf Atronarch charactyer started out with over 200 mana
initially :-)
I found what worked best for me, w.r.t. restoring mana, was to go to a
shrine, either in a tomb or the right one in the temple in Balmora, and
spend a few bucks on blessings. Since I haven't played for months, I
can't remember which blessings work best, BUT: some of these seem to be
cast with incredible amounts of mana, because just absorbing one of
those blessings (you may have to try two or three times) will restore
your mana at negligible cost.

-Peter

[must start a new character since I can't remember for the life of me,
what the old one was up to when I left her standing ...<sigh>].
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 2:42:35 AM

The "Restore Magicka" can be made enchantable through the
Gameplay->Magic Effects menu in the Construction Set.

Jaxalot
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 2:42:41 AM

The "Restore Magicka" spell effect can be made enchantable through the
Gameplay->Magic Effects menu in the Construction Set.

Jaxalot
May 29, 2009 5:15:53 PM

For those of you who are tired of of not being able to carry items heres a spell for you to use. all you need is feather and soultrap. Make a spell have the magnitude on feather be 100 to 100 and have it set on self. Then have soultrap with a duration of 1 sec, and have it set to target.
Use this spell 10 times and you can carry 1000lbs.
And this spell never goes away. So you don't have to worry about using it again and again. Should only cost 107 gold.
March 8, 2012 8:40:34 PM

This topic has been closed by Proximon
!