XP Pro vs. Home?

October 12, 2004 4:49:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hi,

I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
very much.

More about : pro home

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 4:49:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I do not consider Home suitable for a laptop. Home does not support
encryption and since most laptops link to a web or net by wireless, this is
not very good. Ask the vendor to give you a price on an upgrade to Pro.
Pro also has better power management tools for laptops.

"M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
> The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
> going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
> something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
> very much.

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 5:07:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hello,

The only thing that you might notice between the two is that you can not
remote desktop into a xp home computer. Also you can not set it up to be a
server of any type (pop3 http ftp ect) Other then there I dont think there
is a big difference.

Michael Ortega

"M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
> The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
> going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
> something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
> very much.

October 12, 2004 5:18:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hello Again,

Here is a page comparing MS's Operating systems.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.m...

Michael Ortega

"M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
> The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
> going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
> something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
> very much.

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 9:23:42 AM

Windows XP Home edition is not suitable for a laptop.
Windows XP Home edition does not support encryption and
since most laptops link to a web or net by wireless, this
is not very good.
Ask the vendor to give you a price on an upgrade to
Windows XP Pro edition.
Windows XP Pro edition also has better power management
tools for laptops.
Windows XP Pro edition but nowadays go too many virus.

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 9:30:06 AM

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 10:12:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hi

Please see if the following articles help:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.m...

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
> The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
> going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
> something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
> very much.

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:36:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In addition to what else has been posted, if you have the need to log on to
a domain, you cannot do that with XP Home Edition. You can only do that
with XP Pro. I make this point because laptops are generally used for
mobility and such mobile users often have to log on to other networks. If
the network is a Domain, you won't be able to log on.

NOTE: most home networks are generally workgroups and they don't have this
issue but public networks such as in schools or colleges are generally
domains and would require XP Pro in order to log on.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
> The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
> going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
> something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
> very much.

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 6:57:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Thanks to all!

This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you think it
is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop? would it effect
the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks again.

"M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
> The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
> going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
> something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
> very much.

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 6:57:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Is it worth the money? Only you can decide based on what you know you want
to do or might need to do.

--

> Thanks to all!
>
> This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you think it
> is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop? would it effect
> the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks again.
>

> "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
>> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a
>> Toshiba. The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home
>> preinstalled. Am I going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC?
>> Should I look for something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you
>> think! Thank you very much.

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 6:57:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Upgrading to Pro once you get the laptop will void the warranty
in most cases.

gls858

M. Saddy wrote:
> Thanks to all!
>
> This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you think it
> is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop? would it effect
> the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks again.
>

> "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
>>shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
>>The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
>>going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
>>something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
>>very much.

October 12, 2004 7:27:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Is there anything in XP Pro that you think you'll need? If not then don't
bother upgrading. Otherwise it's worth the upgrade.

Joe

"M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to all!
>
> This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you think it
> is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop? would it effect
> the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks again.
>

> "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
> > shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a
Toshiba.
> > The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
> > going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
> > something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
> > very much.

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 10:48:21 PM

M. Saddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a
> Toshiba. The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home
> preinstalled. Am I going to notice big changes if I purchase this
> PC?
> Should I look for something else with XP Pro? Please let me know
> what
> you think! Thank you very much.

It really depends upon how _you_ will be using the laptop, and
exactly how granularly you like to control file security settings.
When I switched from Win2K to WinXP Home, I often became frustrated at
not having the level of control to which I was accustomed. I also
found the "dumbing-down" of WinXP Home (compared to Win2K and WinXP
Pro) very annoying. So I switched to WinXP Pro for my primary PC.

The WinXP Home and WinXP Pro versions are _identical_ when it
comes to performance, stability, and device driver and software
application compatibility, but are intended to meet different
functionality, networking, security, and ease-of-use needs, in
different environments. The most significant differences are that
WinXP Pro allows up to 10 simultaneous inbound network connections
while WinXP Home only allows only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a
Microsoft domain while WinXP Home cannot, and only WinXP Pro supports
file encryption and IIS. (Oh, and WinXP Pro usually costs roughly $100
USD more than WinXP Home.)

Windows XP Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...

Which Edition Is Right for You
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro...

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 11:00:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

You need to ask the manufacturer what the status of support and warranty
(two different things) will be if you upgrade to Pro after buying the system
with Home. With a laptop, you have the issue of laptop utilities that does
not occur with most desktops. You need to see if the manufacturer has any
utilities that do not work with Pro (unlikely). If you do move to Pro (I
encourage to), do an upgrade and not a clean install, since the clean
install will wipe out the laptop utilities unnecessarily.

"M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to all!
>
> This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you think it
> is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop? would it effect
> the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks again.
>

> "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
>> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a
>> Toshiba. The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home
>> preinstalled. Am I going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC?
>> Should I look for something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you
>> think! Thank you very much.

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 11:01:34 PM

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> I do not consider Home suitable for a laptop. Home does not support
> encryption and since most laptops link to a web or net by wireless,
> this is not very good. Ask the vendor to give you a price on an
> upgrade to Pro. Pro also has better power management tools for
> laptops.

Are you, by any chance, confusing wireless network communications
encryption, which WinXP Home does support, with NTFS file encryption,
which is available only in WinXP Pro? I ask this because you
specifically mention wireless networking, but not the dangers of
irretrievable data loss inherent in a poorly implemented file
encryption habit.

For most businesses, and many other travelers, file encryption is
a wise precaution, provided it's properly and safely implemented.
However, we see posts in these newsgroups each and every day from
experienced users - not to mention the average users - who have
permanently lost access to their encrypted data simply because they
neglected the elemental precaution of backing up their encryption
keys. Personally, I'd really hesitate to recommend the use of EFS to
any but the most experienced, knowledgeable, and conscientious of
computer users.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 11:05:30 PM

M. Saddy wrote:
> Thanks to all!
>
> This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you
> think it is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop?
> would it effect the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks
> again.

Frankly, if a vendor won't or can't provide the product I want, I
take my business elsewhere. Only you can decide if buying the laptop
with WinXP Home, buying the WinXP Pro Upgrade for an additional
$200.00, and then subsequently voiding the laptop's warranty by
changing the OS is worth the extra cost. It'd be a lot better, in the
long run, for you to order the laptop the way _you_ want it.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 11:06:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

ntfs

> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> I do not consider Home suitable for a laptop. Home does not support
>> encryption and since most laptops link to a web or net by wireless,
>> this is not very good. Ask the vendor to give you a price on an
>> upgrade to Pro. Pro also has better power management tools for
>> laptops.
>
> Are you, by any chance, confusing wireless network communications
> encryption, which WinXP Home does support, with NTFS file encryption,
> which is available only in WinXP Pro? I ask this because you specifically
> mention wireless networking, but not the dangers of irretrievable data
> loss inherent in a poorly implemented file encryption habit.
>
> For most businesses, and many other travelers, file encryption is a
> wise precaution, provided it's properly and safely implemented. However,
> we see posts in these newsgroups each and every day from experienced
> users - not to mention the average users - who have permanently lost
> access to their encrypted data simply because they neglected the elemental
> precaution of backing up their encryption keys. Personally, I'd really
> hesitate to recommend the use of EFS to any but the most experienced,
> knowledgeable, and conscientious of computer users.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 11:09:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I agree. I would continue shopping if the laptop does not fully meet your
specifications.

news:o mSM7CMsEHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> M. Saddy wrote:
>> Thanks to all!
>>
>> This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you
>> think it is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop? would
>> it effect the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks
>> again.
>>

> Frankly, if a vendor won't or can't provide the product I want, I take
> my business elsewhere. Only you can decide if buying the laptop with
> WinXP Home, buying the WinXP Pro Upgrade for an additional $200.00, and
> then subsequently voiding the laptop's warranty by changing the OS is
> worth the extra cost. It'd be a lot better, in the long run, for you to
> order the laptop the way _you_ want it.
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 11:37:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

If you don't need IIS for server stuff, or to join a domain, Home will be
fine.

"M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
> The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
> going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
> something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
> very much.

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 11:37:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Quite apart from 'features', Home does not permit encryption and this
renders a laptop using a wireless connection less attractive.

"Augie Doggie" <zippy@pinhead.org> wrote in message

> If you don't need IIS for server stuff, or to join a domain, Home will be
> fine.
>

> "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
>> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a
>> Toshiba. The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home
>> preinstalled. Am I going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC?
>> Should I look for something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you
>> think! Thank you very much.

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:22:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I want to thank everyone for helping me out with this issue. If anyone
cares, the laptop I was asking about, and now buying is TOSHIBA SATELLITE
M35-S456 NOTEBOOK (preconfigured). I don't think that buying the same system
(customized) from Toshiba with XP pro is worth the extra cost, about $400
more!! So, thanks to you, I decided that I don't really need XP pro and I am
going to get it with XP home!

Again, thanks for your help!

"M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
> The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
> going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
> something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
> very much.

October 13, 2004 3:56:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

most of them are Bullshit anyway.

Only install clean!

!