XP Pro vs. Home?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hi,

I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
very much.
21 answers Last reply
More about home
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I do not consider Home suitable for a laptop. Home does not support
    encryption and since most laptops link to a web or net by wireless, this is
    not very good. Ask the vendor to give you a price on an upgrade to Pro.
    Pro also has better power management tools for laptops.

    "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    > shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
    > The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
    > going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
    > something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
    > very much.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Hello,

    The only thing that you might notice between the two is that you can not
    remote desktop into a xp home computer. Also you can not set it up to be a
    server of any type (pop3 http ftp ect) Other then there I dont think there
    is a big difference.

    Michael Ortega

    "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    > shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
    > The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
    > going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
    > something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
    > very much.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Hello Again,

    Here is a page comparing MS's Operating systems.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx

    Michael Ortega

    "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    > shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
    > The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
    > going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
    > something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
    > very much.

    Windows XP Home edition is not suitable for a laptop.
    Windows XP Home edition does not support encryption and
    since most laptops link to a web or net by wireless, this
    is not very good.
    Ask the vendor to give you a price on an upgrade to
    Windows XP Pro edition.
    Windows XP Pro edition also has better power management
    tools for laptops.
    Windows XP Pro edition but nowadays go too many virus.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Hi

    Please see if the following articles help:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    > shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
    > The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
    > going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
    > something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
    > very much.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In addition to what else has been posted, if you have the need to log on to
    a domain, you cannot do that with XP Home Edition. You can only do that
    with XP Pro. I make this point because laptops are generally used for
    mobility and such mobile users often have to log on to other networks. If
    the network is a Domain, you won't be able to log on.

    NOTE: most home networks are generally workgroups and they don't have this
    issue but public networks such as in schools or colleges are generally
    domains and would require XP Pro in order to log on.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    > shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
    > The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
    > going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
    > something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
    > very much.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Thanks to all!

    This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you think it
    is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop? would it effect
    the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks again.

    "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    > shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
    > The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
    > going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
    > something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
    > very much.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Is it worth the money? Only you can decide based on what you know you want
    to do or might need to do.

    --

    > Thanks to all!
    >
    > This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you think it
    > is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop? would it effect
    > the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks again.
    >

    > "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    >> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a
    >> Toshiba. The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home
    >> preinstalled. Am I going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC?
    >> Should I look for something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you
    >> think! Thank you very much.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Upgrading to Pro once you get the laptop will void the warranty
    in most cases.

    gls858

    M. Saddy wrote:
    > Thanks to all!
    >
    > This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you think it
    > is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop? would it effect
    > the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks again.
    >

    > "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    >>shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
    >>The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
    >>going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
    >>something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
    >>very much.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Is there anything in XP Pro that you think you'll need? If not then don't
    bother upgrading. Otherwise it's worth the upgrade.

    Joe

    "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks to all!
    >
    > This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you think it
    > is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop? would it effect
    > the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks again.
    >

    > "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    > > shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a
    Toshiba.
    > > The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
    > > going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
    > > something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
    > > very much.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    M. Saddy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    > shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a
    > Toshiba. The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home
    > preinstalled. Am I going to notice big changes if I purchase this
    > PC?
    > Should I look for something else with XP Pro? Please let me know
    > what
    > you think! Thank you very much.

    It really depends upon how _you_ will be using the laptop, and
    exactly how granularly you like to control file security settings.
    When I switched from Win2K to WinXP Home, I often became frustrated at
    not having the level of control to which I was accustomed. I also
    found the "dumbing-down" of WinXP Home (compared to Win2K and WinXP
    Pro) very annoying. So I switched to WinXP Pro for my primary PC.

    The WinXP Home and WinXP Pro versions are _identical_ when it
    comes to performance, stability, and device driver and software
    application compatibility, but are intended to meet different
    functionality, networking, security, and ease-of-use needs, in
    different environments. The most significant differences are that
    WinXP Pro allows up to 10 simultaneous inbound network connections
    while WinXP Home only allows only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a
    Microsoft domain while WinXP Home cannot, and only WinXP Pro supports
    file encryption and IIS. (Oh, and WinXP Pro usually costs roughly $100
    USD more than WinXP Home.)

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Which Edition Is Right for You
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    You need to ask the manufacturer what the status of support and warranty
    (two different things) will be if you upgrade to Pro after buying the system
    with Home. With a laptop, you have the issue of laptop utilities that does
    not occur with most desktops. You need to see if the manufacturer has any
    utilities that do not work with Pro (unlikely). If you do move to Pro (I
    encourage to), do an upgrade and not a clean install, since the clean
    install will wipe out the laptop utilities unnecessarily.

    "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks to all!
    >
    > This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you think it
    > is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop? would it effect
    > the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks again.
    >

    > "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    >> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a
    >> Toshiba. The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home
    >> preinstalled. Am I going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC?
    >> Should I look for something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you
    >> think! Thank you very much.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > I do not consider Home suitable for a laptop. Home does not support
    > encryption and since most laptops link to a web or net by wireless,
    > this is not very good. Ask the vendor to give you a price on an
    > upgrade to Pro. Pro also has better power management tools for
    > laptops.

    Are you, by any chance, confusing wireless network communications
    encryption, which WinXP Home does support, with NTFS file encryption,
    which is available only in WinXP Pro? I ask this because you
    specifically mention wireless networking, but not the dangers of
    irretrievable data loss inherent in a poorly implemented file
    encryption habit.

    For most businesses, and many other travelers, file encryption is
    a wise precaution, provided it's properly and safely implemented.
    However, we see posts in these newsgroups each and every day from
    experienced users - not to mention the average users - who have
    permanently lost access to their encrypted data simply because they
    neglected the elemental precaution of backing up their encryption
    keys. Personally, I'd really hesitate to recommend the use of EFS to
    any but the most experienced, knowledgeable, and conscientious of
    computer users.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    M. Saddy wrote:
    > Thanks to all!
    >
    > This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you
    > think it is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop?
    > would it effect the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks
    > again.

    Frankly, if a vendor won't or can't provide the product I want, I
    take my business elsewhere. Only you can decide if buying the laptop
    with WinXP Home, buying the WinXP Pro Upgrade for an additional
    $200.00, and then subsequently voiding the laptop's warranty by
    changing the OS is worth the extra cost. It'd be a lot better, in the
    long run, for you to order the laptop the way _you_ want it.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    ntfs

    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> I do not consider Home suitable for a laptop. Home does not support
    >> encryption and since most laptops link to a web or net by wireless,
    >> this is not very good. Ask the vendor to give you a price on an
    >> upgrade to Pro. Pro also has better power management tools for
    >> laptops.
    >
    > Are you, by any chance, confusing wireless network communications
    > encryption, which WinXP Home does support, with NTFS file encryption,
    > which is available only in WinXP Pro? I ask this because you specifically
    > mention wireless networking, but not the dangers of irretrievable data
    > loss inherent in a poorly implemented file encryption habit.
    >
    > For most businesses, and many other travelers, file encryption is a
    > wise precaution, provided it's properly and safely implemented. However,
    > we see posts in these newsgroups each and every day from experienced
    > users - not to mention the average users - who have permanently lost
    > access to their encrypted data simply because they neglected the elemental
    > precaution of backing up their encryption keys. Personally, I'd really
    > hesitate to recommend the use of EFS to any but the most experienced,
    > knowledgeable, and conscientious of computer users.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I agree. I would continue shopping if the laptop does not fully meet your
    specifications.

    > M. Saddy wrote:
    >> Thanks to all!
    >>
    >> This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you
    >> think it is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop? would
    >> it effect the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks
    >> again.
    >>

    > Frankly, if a vendor won't or can't provide the product I want, I take
    > my business elsewhere. Only you can decide if buying the laptop with
    > WinXP Home, buying the WinXP Pro Upgrade for an additional $200.00, and
    > then subsequently voiding the laptop's warranty by changing the OS is
    > worth the extra cost. It'd be a lot better, in the long run, for you to
    > order the laptop the way _you_ want it.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    If you don't need IIS for server stuff, or to join a domain, Home will be
    fine.

    "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    > shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
    > The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
    > going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
    > something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
    > very much.

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Quite apart from 'features', Home does not permit encryption and this
    renders a laptop using a wireless connection less attractive.

    "Augie Doggie" <zippy@pinhead.org> wrote in message

    > If you don't need IIS for server stuff, or to join a domain, Home will be
    > fine.
    >

    > "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    >> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a
    >> Toshiba. The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home
    >> preinstalled. Am I going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC?
    >> Should I look for something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you
    >> think! Thank you very much.

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I want to thank everyone for helping me out with this issue. If anyone
    cares, the laptop I was asking about, and now buying is TOSHIBA SATELLITE
    M35-S456 NOTEBOOK (preconfigured). I don't think that buying the same system
    (customized) from Toshiba with XP pro is worth the extra cost, about $400
    more!! So, thanks to you, I decided that I don't really need XP pro and I am
    going to get it with XP home!

    Again, thanks for your help!

    "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    > shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a Toshiba.
    > The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home preinstalled. Am I
    > going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC? Should I look for
    > something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what you think! Thank you
    > very much.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    most of them are Bullshit anyway.

    Only install clean!

    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    > You need to ask the manufacturer what the status of support and warranty
    > (two different things) will be if you upgrade to Pro after buying the
    > system with Home. With a laptop, you have the issue of laptop utilities
    > that does not occur with most desktops. You need to see if the
    > manufacturer has any utilities that do not work with Pro (unlikely). If
    > you do move to Pro (I encourage to), do an upgrade and not a clean
    > install, since the clean install will wipe out the laptop utilities
    > unnecessarily.
    >
    > "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks to all!
    >>
    >> This laptop is retail and they don't offer upgrades on XP. Do you think
    >> it is a good idea to do a PRO upgrade when I get the laptop? would it
    >> effect the laptop at all and is it worth the money? Thanks again.
    >>

    >> "M. Saddy" <0@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I've been using XP pro for a long time on my home PC. Right now I am
    >>> shopping for a new notebook PC and the best deal I found was on a
    >>> Toshiba. The only thing with it is that it comes with XP home
    >>> preinstalled. Am I going to notice big changes if I purchase this PC?
    >>> Should I look for something else with XP Pro? Please let me know what
    >>> you think! Thank you very much.

Microsoft Customization Windows XP