3 network cards in Proliant ML570

Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi
Server 2003 sp1

I have 3 network cards in my Proliant ML570 Server 2 Ethernet Gig and 1
fibre gig card...

now if I want to maximise bandwidth do I give the cards all the same IP
address and the original fibre gig card was "fileserver" 192.168.1.1

now with the new server I have 2 Ethernet gigs that can be teamed....

so before if I pinged "fileserver" I got the DNS back of 192,168,1,1 now if
there are 3 different ip addresses for the server won't that throw into
confusion the IP addresses for "fileserver" and any mappings or shares?

also I have a core switch with gig Ethernet slots but somehow cannot get
above 100mps with Cat5 cable from the gig slots on the server..

How do I set this up to get the best reliable bandwidth

thanks
12 answers Last reply
More about network cards proliant ml570
  1. Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    The cards can be teamed IF the NIC card software supports it. You can't
    toss a mixed bag of cards in a box and team them.

    Fred Bloggs wrote:

    > Hi
    > Server 2003 sp1
    >
    > I have 3 network cards in my Proliant ML570 Server 2 Ethernet Gig and 1
    > fibre gig card...
    >
    > now if I want to maximise bandwidth do I give the cards all the same IP
    > address and the original fibre gig card was "fileserver" 192.168.1.1
    >
    > now with the new server I have 2 Ethernet gigs that can be teamed....
    >
    > so before if I pinged "fileserver" I got the DNS back of 192,168,1,1 now if
    > there are 3 different ip addresses for the server won't that throw into
    > confusion the IP addresses for "fileserver" and any mappings or shares?
    >
    > also I have a core switch with gig Ethernet slots but somehow cannot get
    > above 100mps with Cat5 cable from the gig slots on the server..
    >
    > How do I set this up to get the best reliable bandwidth
    >
    > thanks

  2. Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    From: "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com>

    | The cards can be teamed IF the NIC card software supports it. You can't
    | toss a mixed bag of cards in a box and team them.
    |
    | Fred Bloggs wrote:

    Do you think the Compaq ML570 can even handle the required 12.672 Gb/s bandwidth ?
    { 3 Gigabit Ethernet cards on 64bit PCI at 66MHz }

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    One is probably enough. :-)

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From: "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com>
    >
    > | The cards can be teamed IF the NIC card software supports it. You can't
    > | toss a mixed bag of cards in a box and team them.
    > |
    > | Fred Bloggs wrote:
    > |

    > Do you think the Compaq ML570 can even handle the required 12.672 Gb/s bandwidth ?
    > { 3 Gigabit Ethernet cards on 64bit PCI at 66MHz }

  4. Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    >> From: "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com>
    >>
    >> | The cards can be teamed IF the NIC card software supports it. You can't
    >> | toss a mixed bag of cards in a box and team them.
    >> |
    >> | Fred Bloggs wrote:
    >> |

    >> Do you think the Compaq ML570 can even handle the required 12.672 Gb/s
    >> bandwidth ?
    >> { 3 Gigabit Ethernet cards on 64bit PCI at 66MHz }

    My concern is the ip addressing.. how does that work with the DNS.. and
    mapping

    the Cards are

    2 x HP NC7170 Dual Gigabit Server Adaptors (Ethernet)

    1 x HP NC 6770 Gigabit Server Adaptor (Fibre)

    I want to up the Ethernet cards to a gig but when I plug the Cat5 cable into
    the 3Com 4060 gig Ethernet port I only get 100mps ?

    I also want to take out the Fibre Card if I can get the Dual Ethernet cards
    up to a gig and work out the IP addresses.

    Thanks
  5. Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 01:09:02 +0100, "Fred Bloggs"
    <sdfsd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >>> From: "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com>

    >>> Do you think the Compaq ML570 can even handle the required 12.672 Gb/s
    >>> bandwidth ?
    >>> { 3 Gigabit Ethernet cards on 64bit PCI at 66MHz }
    >>>

    >My concern is the ip addressing.. how does that work with the DNS.. and
    >mapping
    >
    > the Cards are
    >
    >2 x HP NC7170 Dual Gigabit Server Adaptors (Ethernet)
    >
    >1 x HP NC 6770 Gigabit Server Adaptor (Fibre)
    >
    >I want to up the Ethernet cards to a gig but when I plug the Cat5 cable into
    >the 3Com 4060 gig Ethernet port I only get 100mps ?
    >
    >I also want to take out the Fibre Card if I can get the Dual Ethernet cards
    >up to a gig and work out the IP addresses.
    >
    >Thanks

    I work with various Proliants models every day.
    I have teamed adapters before, and I am pretty sure (99%)
    that you can only team like adapter models.

    You'll want to make sure you connect both in the same hub or a
    properly configure managed switch as my expereince as seen mac
    addressing issues with teaming adapters since the switches maintain
    mac address tables (they are to smart). The same principles apply to
    cluster setups as well.

    You'll of course need to use the latest drivers (build the ML-570
    using Smartstart 5.5 and then apply the Proliant support pack for
    Windows (version 7.2).

    You might consider skipping this, and just configuring the adapters
    multihomed.

    such as:

    http://www.uit.co.uk/practical-tcpip/w-ipaliasw.pdf

    Good luck.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Putting in Gigabit cards on a network using 100Mb router/switches will still
    remain limited to 100Mb. You are wasting the Gb cards on a 100Mb network.

    If you want the increased bandwidth, you will need to swap to Gb components.
    As always...speed/bandwidth is limited to the throughput of the slowest
    component.

    "Fred Bloggs" <sdfsd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

    >>> From: "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com>

    >>> can't

    >>> Do you think the Compaq ML570 can even handle the required 12.672 Gb/s
    >>> bandwidth ?
    >>> { 3 Gigabit Ethernet cards on 64bit PCI at 66MHz }
    >>>

    > My concern is the ip addressing.. how does that work with the DNS.. and
    > mapping
    >
    > the Cards are
    >
    > 2 x HP NC7170 Dual Gigabit Server Adaptors (Ethernet)
    >
    > 1 x HP NC 6770 Gigabit Server Adaptor (Fibre)
    >
    > I want to up the Ethernet cards to a gig but when I plug the Cat5 cable
    > into the 3Com 4060 gig Ethernet port I only get 100mps ?
    >
    > I also want to take out the Fibre Card if I can get the Dual Ethernet
    > cards up to a gig and work out the IP addresses.
    >
    > Thanks

  7. Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    The 3 Com is a gig switch with 12 Gig Fibre ports and 6 Gig Ethernet
    ports... yet when I put Cat5 from the Gig card in the Proliant to the Gig
    Ethernet port in the switch it stays at 100mps

    "zenner" <Zenner@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > Putting in Gigabit cards on a network using 100Mb router/switches will
    > still remain limited to 100Mb. You are wasting the Gb cards on a 100Mb
    > network.
    >
    > If you want the increased bandwidth, you will need to swap to Gb
    > components. As always...speed/bandwidth is limited to the throughput of
    > the slowest component.
    >
    > "Fred Bloggs" <sdfsd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

    >> My concern is the ip addressing.. how does that work with the DNS.. and
    >> mapping
    >>
    >> the Cards are
    >>
    >> 2 x HP NC7170 Dual Gigabit Server Adaptors (Ethernet)
    >>
    >> 1 x HP NC 6770 Gigabit Server Adaptor (Fibre)
    >>
    >> I want to up the Ethernet cards to a gig but when I plug the Cat5 cable
    >> into the 3Com 4060 gig Ethernet port I only get 100mps ?
    >>
    >> I also want to take out the Fibre Card if I can get the Dual Ethernet
    >> cards up to a gig and work out the IP addresses.
    >>
    >> Thanks

  8. Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    If the network is self-limiting...it has to be either a configuration issue
    or a component issue.

    There are only 3 components that influence transmission speed.
    1). The Switch. Most 10/100/1000 switches are compatible.
    2.) The cabling. CAT-5 UT should be adequate (CAT-5-enhanced may be needed
    in some cases). Segment length restrictions (to either address or prevent
    attenuation) should be observed
    3.) The NIC.

    As far as hardware, it seems you have covered the bases.

    > The 3 Com is a gig switch with 12 Gig Fibre ports and 6 Gig Ethernet
    > ports... yet when I put Cat5 from the Gig card in the Proliant to the Gig
    > Ethernet port in the switch it stays at 100mps
    >
    > "zenner" <Zenner@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >> Putting in Gigabit cards on a network using 100Mb router/switches will
    >> still remain limited to 100Mb. You are wasting the Gb cards on a 100Mb
    >> network.
    >>
    >> If you want the increased bandwidth, you will need to swap to Gb
    >> components. As always...speed/bandwidth is limited to the throughput of
    >> the slowest component.
    >>
    >> "Fred Bloggs" <sdfsd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

    >>> My concern is the ip addressing.. how does that work with the DNS.. and
    >>> mapping
    >>>
    >>> the Cards are
    >>>
    >>> 2 x HP NC7170 Dual Gigabit Server Adaptors (Ethernet)
    >>>
    >>> 1 x HP NC 6770 Gigabit Server Adaptor (Fibre)
    >>>
    >>> I want to up the Ethernet cards to a gig but when I plug the Cat5 cable
    >>> into the 3Com 4060 gig Ethernet port I only get 100mps ?
    >>>
    >>> I also want to take out the Fibre Card if I can get the Dual Ethernet
    >>> cards up to a gig and work out the IP addresses.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

  9. Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    All I wanted to do was set up the 2 gig Ethernet cards in a team and know if
    there would be any IP address issues with DNS or suchlike.. or if teamed
    they take on 1 ip address..

    point 2 was how come my gig Ethernet card with a 1.8m cat 5 cable to a gig
    Ethernet port on a 3 com 4060 switch was only running at 100mps

    http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3C17709-US

    > If the network is self-limiting...it has to be either a configuration
    > issue or a component issue.
    >
    > There are only 3 components that influence transmission speed.
    > 1). The Switch. Most 10/100/1000 switches are compatible.
    > 2.) The cabling. CAT-5 UT should be adequate (CAT-5-enhanced may be needed
    > in some cases). Segment length restrictions (to either address or prevent
    > attenuation) should be observed
    > 3.) The NIC.
    >
    > As far as hardware, it seems you have covered the bases.
    >
    > "Fred Bloggs" <sdfsd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> The 3 Com is a gig switch with 12 Gig Fibre ports and 6 Gig Ethernet
    >> ports... yet when I put Cat5 from the Gig card in the Proliant to the Gig
    >> Ethernet port in the switch it stays at 100mps
    >>
    >> "zenner" <Zenner@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >>> Putting in Gigabit cards on a network using 100Mb router/switches will
    >>> still remain limited to 100Mb. You are wasting the Gb cards on a 100Mb
    >>> network.
    >>>
    >>> If you want the increased bandwidth, you will need to swap to Gb
    >>> components. As always...speed/bandwidth is limited to the throughput of
    >>> the slowest component.
    >>>
    >>> "Fred Bloggs" <sdfsd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

  10. Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    When you team the two in HP, it will be known as only 1 IP.

    For 3 Com 4060, did you check on the port configuration?

    I don't like the HP ML570. It is only G2 when G4 is available on other
    models. Also, after getting a ML570 to work, I'd lost my job.

    Hey, you can try connecting to a port that you know is using gigabit. If
    not, its your configuration.

    > All I wanted to do was set up the 2 gig Ethernet cards in a team and know
    > if there would be any IP address issues with DNS or suchlike.. or if
    > teamed they take on 1 ip address..
    >
    > point 2 was how come my gig Ethernet card with a 1.8m cat 5 cable to a gig
    > Ethernet port on a 3 com 4060 switch was only running at 100mps
    >
    > http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3C17709-US
    >

    > "zenner" <Zenner@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >> If the network is self-limiting...it has to be either a configuration
    >> issue or a component issue.
    >>
    >> There are only 3 components that influence transmission speed.
    >> 1). The Switch. Most 10/100/1000 switches are compatible.
    >> 2.) The cabling. CAT-5 UT should be adequate (CAT-5-enhanced may be
    >> needed in some cases). Segment length restrictions (to either address or
    >> prevent attenuation) should be observed
    >> 3.) The NIC.
    >>
    >> As far as hardware, it seems you have covered the bases.
    >>
    >> "Fred Bloggs" <sdfsd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> The 3 Com is a gig switch with 12 Gig Fibre ports and 6 Gig Ethernet
    >>> ports... yet when I put Cat5 from the Gig card in the Proliant to the
    >>> Gig Ethernet port in the switch it stays at 100mps
    >>>
    >>> "zenner" <Zenner@pacbell.net> wrote in message

  11. Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Boss Boss" <Boss@boss.net> wrote in message
    > When you team the two in HP, it will be known as only 1 IP.
    >
    > For 3 Com 4060, did you check on the port configuration?
    >
    > I don't like the HP ML570. It is only G2 when G4 is available on other
    > models. Also, after getting a ML570 to work, I'd lost my job.
    >
    > Hey, you can try connecting to a port that you know is using gigabit. If
    > not, its your configuration.

    Thanks for the info..... sorry about your job tho
  12. Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    > Hi
    > Server 2003 sp1
    >
    > I have 3 network cards in my Proliant ML570 Server 2 Ethernet Gig and 1
    > fibre gig card...
    >
    > now if I want to maximise bandwidth do I give the cards all the same IP
    > address and the original fibre gig card was "fileserver" 192.168.1.1
    >
    > now with the new server I have 2 Ethernet gigs that can be teamed....
    >
    > so before if I pinged "fileserver" I got the DNS back of 192,168,1,1 now
    > if there are 3 different ip addresses for the server won't that throw into
    > confusion the IP addresses for "fileserver" and any mappings or shares?
    >
    > also I have a core switch with gig Ethernet slots but somehow cannot get
    > above 100mps with Cat5 cable from the gig slots on the server..
    >
    > How do I set this up to get the best reliable bandwidth
    >
    > thanks

    I would check out what your card(s) and switch are configured to do when
    they see a connection. Do they auto negotiate or are the speeds set
    manually? I was thrown by this recently a Dell 2600 with onboard Intel
    gigabit NIC connecting to a 3COM 4200 series switch with 2 x gig ports.
    After checking that the switch was set to advertise it's maximum speed I
    checked out the nic on the server and found that it was set to 100TX rather
    than 1000TX or Auto negotiate.

    Other comments in this thread are valid too. There is no way you can max out
    these cards on the pci bus you are using and that's if your raid array can
    keep up! As a backup incase of nic failure it's a good idea but for
    aggregated performance, forget about it.

    Andy

Servers Ethernet Card Proliant Windows