  • Proliant
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 27, 2005 6:17:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi
Server 2003 sp1

I have 3 network cards in my Proliant ML570 Server 2 Ethernet Gig and 1
fibre gig card...

now if I want to maximise bandwidth do I give the cards all the same IP
address and the original fibre gig card was "fileserver" 192.168.1.1

now with the new server I have 2 Ethernet gigs that can be teamed....

so before if I pinged "fileserver" I got the DNS back of 192,168,1,1 now if
there are 3 different ip addresses for the server won't that throw into
confusion the IP addresses for "fileserver" and any mappings or shares?

also I have a core switch with gig Ethernet slots but somehow cannot get
above 100mps with Cat5 cable from the gig slots on the server..

How do I set this up to get the best reliable bandwidth

thanks

More about : network cards proliant ml570

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 11:50:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

The cards can be teamed IF the NIC card software supports it. You can't
toss a mixed bag of cards in a box and team them.

Fred Bloggs wrote:

> Hi
> Server 2003 sp1
>
> I have 3 network cards in my Proliant ML570 Server 2 Ethernet Gig and 1
> fibre gig card...
>
> now if I want to maximise bandwidth do I give the cards all the same IP
> address and the original fibre gig card was "fileserver" 192.168.1.1
>
> now with the new server I have 2 Ethernet gigs that can be teamed....
>
> so before if I pinged "fileserver" I got the DNS back of 192,168,1,1 now if
> there are 3 different ip addresses for the server won't that throw into
> confusion the IP addresses for "fileserver" and any mappings or shares?
>
> also I have a core switch with gig Ethernet slots but somehow cannot get
> above 100mps with Cat5 cable from the gig slots on the server..
>
> How do I set this up to get the best reliable bandwidth
>
> thanks

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 1:01:27 PM

From: "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com>

| The cards can be teamed IF the NIC card software supports it. You can't
| toss a mixed bag of cards in a box and team them.
|
| Fred Bloggs wrote:

Do you think the Compaq ML570 can even handle the required 12.672 Gb/s bandwidth ?
{ 3 Gigabit Ethernet cards on 64bit PCI at 66MHz }

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

One is probably enough. :-)

David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com>
>
> | The cards can be teamed IF the NIC card software supports it. You can't
> | toss a mixed bag of cards in a box and team them.
> |
> | Fred Bloggs wrote:
> |

> Do you think the Compaq ML570 can even handle the required 12.672 Gb/s bandwidth ?
> { 3 Gigabit Ethernet cards on 64bit PCI at 66MHz }

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 5:09:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

>> From: "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com>
>>
>> | The cards can be teamed IF the NIC card software supports it. You can't
>> | toss a mixed bag of cards in a box and team them.
>> |
>> | Fred Bloggs wrote:
>> |

>> Do you think the Compaq ML570 can even handle the required 12.672 Gb/s
>> bandwidth ?
>> { 3 Gigabit Ethernet cards on 64bit PCI at 66MHz }

My concern is the ip addressing.. how does that work with the DNS.. and
mapping

the Cards are

2 x HP NC7170 Dual Gigabit Server Adaptors (Ethernet)

1 x HP NC 6770 Gigabit Server Adaptor (Fibre)

I want to up the Ethernet cards to a gig but when I plug the Cat5 cable into
the 3Com 4060 gig Ethernet port I only get 100mps ?

I also want to take out the Fibre Card if I can get the Dual Ethernet cards
up to a gig and work out the IP addresses.

Thanks
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 5:09:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

On Sat, 28 May 2005 01:09:02 +0100, "Fred Bloggs"
<sdfsd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>>> From: "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com>

>>> Do you think the Compaq ML570 can even handle the required 12.672 Gb/s
>>> bandwidth ?
>>> { 3 Gigabit Ethernet cards on 64bit PCI at 66MHz }
>>>

>My concern is the ip addressing.. how does that work with the DNS.. and
>mapping
>
> the Cards are
>
>2 x HP NC7170 Dual Gigabit Server Adaptors (Ethernet)
>
>1 x HP NC 6770 Gigabit Server Adaptor (Fibre)
>
>I want to up the Ethernet cards to a gig but when I plug the Cat5 cable into
>the 3Com 4060 gig Ethernet port I only get 100mps ?
>
>I also want to take out the Fibre Card if I can get the Dual Ethernet cards
>up to a gig and work out the IP addresses.
>
>Thanks

I work with various Proliants models every day.
I have teamed adapters before, and I am pretty sure (99%)
that you can only team like adapter models.

You'll want to make sure you connect both in the same hub or a
properly configure managed switch as my expereince as seen mac
addressing issues with teaming adapters since the switches maintain
mac address tables (they are to smart). The same principles apply to
cluster setups as well.

You'll of course need to use the latest drivers (build the ML-570
using Smartstart 5.5 and then apply the Proliant support pack for
Windows (version 7.2).

You might consider skipping this, and just configuring the adapters
multihomed.

such as:

http://www.uit.co.uk/practical-tcpip/w-ipaliasw.pdf

Good luck.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 7:58:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Putting in Gigabit cards on a network using 100Mb router/switches will still
remain limited to 100Mb. You are wasting the Gb cards on a 100Mb network.

If you want the increased bandwidth, you will need to swap to Gb components.
As always...speed/bandwidth is limited to the throughput of the slowest
component.

"Fred Bloggs" <sdfsd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> From: "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com>

>>> can't

>>> Do you think the Compaq ML570 can even handle the required 12.672 Gb/s
>>> bandwidth ?
>>> { 3 Gigabit Ethernet cards on 64bit PCI at 66MHz }
>>>

> My concern is the ip addressing.. how does that work with the DNS.. and
> mapping
>
> the Cards are
>
> 2 x HP NC7170 Dual Gigabit Server Adaptors (Ethernet)
>
> 1 x HP NC 6770 Gigabit Server Adaptor (Fibre)
>
> I want to up the Ethernet cards to a gig but when I plug the Cat5 cable
> into the 3Com 4060 gig Ethernet port I only get 100mps ?
>
> I also want to take out the Fibre Card if I can get the Dual Ethernet
> cards up to a gig and work out the IP addresses.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 4:10:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

The 3 Com is a gig switch with 12 Gig Fibre ports and 6 Gig Ethernet
ports... yet when I put Cat5 from the Gig card in the Proliant to the Gig
Ethernet port in the switch it stays at 100mps

"zenner" <Zenner@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Putting in Gigabit cards on a network using 100Mb router/switches will
> still remain limited to 100Mb. You are wasting the Gb cards on a 100Mb
> network.
>
> If you want the increased bandwidth, you will need to swap to Gb
> components. As always...speed/bandwidth is limited to the throughput of
> the slowest component.
>
> "Fred Bloggs" <sdfsd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

>> My concern is the ip addressing.. how does that work with the DNS.. and
>> mapping
>>
>> the Cards are
>>
>> 2 x HP NC7170 Dual Gigabit Server Adaptors (Ethernet)
>>
>> 1 x HP NC 6770 Gigabit Server Adaptor (Fibre)
>>
>> I want to up the Ethernet cards to a gig but when I plug the Cat5 cable
>> into the 3Com 4060 gig Ethernet port I only get 100mps ?
>>
>> I also want to take out the Fibre Card if I can get the Dual Ethernet
>> cards up to a gig and work out the IP addresses.
>>
>> Thanks

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 8:10:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

If the network is self-limiting...it has to be either a configuration issue
or a component issue.

There are only 3 components that influence transmission speed.
1). The Switch. Most 10/100/1000 switches are compatible.
2.) The cabling. CAT-5 UT should be adequate (CAT-5-enhanced may be needed
in some cases). Segment length restrictions (to either address or prevent
attenuation) should be observed
3.) The NIC.

As far as hardware, it seems you have covered the bases.

> The 3 Com is a gig switch with 12 Gig Fibre ports and 6 Gig Ethernet
> ports... yet when I put Cat5 from the Gig card in the Proliant to the Gig
> Ethernet port in the switch it stays at 100mps
>
> "zenner" <Zenner@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Putting in Gigabit cards on a network using 100Mb router/switches will
>> still remain limited to 100Mb. You are wasting the Gb cards on a 100Mb
>> network.
>>
>> If you want the increased bandwidth, you will need to swap to Gb
>> components. As always...speed/bandwidth is limited to the throughput of
>> the slowest component.
>>
>> "Fred Bloggs" <sdfsd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> My concern is the ip addressing.. how does that work with the DNS.. and
>>> mapping
>>>
>>> the Cards are
>>>
>>> 2 x HP NC7170 Dual Gigabit Server Adaptors (Ethernet)
>>>
>>> 1 x HP NC 6770 Gigabit Server Adaptor (Fibre)
>>>
>>> I want to up the Ethernet cards to a gig but when I plug the Cat5 cable
>>> into the 3Com 4060 gig Ethernet port I only get 100mps ?
>>>
>>> I also want to take out the Fibre Card if I can get the Dual Ethernet
>>> cards up to a gig and work out the IP addresses.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:52:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

All I wanted to do was set up the 2 gig Ethernet cards in a team and know if
there would be any IP address issues with DNS or suchlike.. or if teamed
they take on 1 ip address..

point 2 was how come my gig Ethernet card with a 1.8m cat 5 cable to a gig
Ethernet port on a 3 com 4060 switch was only running at 100mps

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=featu...

> If the network is self-limiting...it has to be either a configuration
> issue or a component issue.
>
> There are only 3 components that influence transmission speed.
> 1). The Switch. Most 10/100/1000 switches are compatible.
> 2.) The cabling. CAT-5 UT should be adequate (CAT-5-enhanced may be needed
> in some cases). Segment length restrictions (to either address or prevent
> attenuation) should be observed
> 3.) The NIC.
>
> As far as hardware, it seems you have covered the bases.
>
> "Fred Bloggs" <sdfsd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> The 3 Com is a gig switch with 12 Gig Fibre ports and 6 Gig Ethernet
>> ports... yet when I put Cat5 from the Gig card in the Proliant to the Gig
>> Ethernet port in the switch it stays at 100mps
>>
>> "zenner" <Zenner@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> Putting in Gigabit cards on a network using 100Mb router/switches will
>>> still remain limited to 100Mb. You are wasting the Gb cards on a 100Mb
>>> network.
>>>
>>> If you want the increased bandwidth, you will need to swap to Gb
>>> components. As always...speed/bandwidth is limited to the throughput of
>>> the slowest component.
>>>
>>> "Fred Bloggs" <sdfsd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:24:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.certification.mcse,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

When you team the two in HP, it will be known as only 1 IP.

For 3 Com 4060, did you check on the port configuration?

I don't like the HP ML570. It is only G2 when G4 is available on other
models. Also, after getting a ML570 to work, I'd lost my job.

Hey, you can try connecting to a port that you know is using gigabit. If
not, its your configuration.

> All I wanted to do was set up the 2 gig Ethernet cards in a team and know
> if there would be any IP address issues with DNS or suchlike.. or if
> teamed they take on 1 ip address..
>
> point 2 was how come my gig Ethernet card with a 1.8m cat 5 cable to a gig
> Ethernet port on a 3 com 4060 switch was only running at 100mps
>
> http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=featu...
>

> "zenner" <Zenner@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> If the network is self-limiting...it has to be either a configuration
>> issue or a component issue.
>>
>> There are only 3 components that influence transmission speed.
>> 1). The Switch. Most 10/100/1000 switches are compatible.
>> 2.) The cabling. CAT-5 UT should be adequate (CAT-5-enhanced may be
>> needed in some cases). Segment length restrictions (to either address or
>> prevent attenuation) should be observed
>> 3.) The NIC.
>>
>> As far as hardware, it seems you have covered the bases.
>>
>> "Fred Bloggs" <sdfsd@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> The 3 Com is a gig switch with 12 Gig Fibre ports and 6 Gig Ethernet
>>> ports... yet when I put Cat5 from the Gig card in the Proliant to the
>>> Gig Ethernet port in the switch it stays at 100mps
>>>
>>> "zenner" <Zenner@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:50:59 AM

"Boss Boss" <Boss@boss.net> wrote in message
> When you team the two in HP, it will be known as only 1 IP.
>
> For 3 Com 4060, did you check on the port configuration?
>
> I don't like the HP ML570. It is only G2 when G4 is available on other
> models. Also, after getting a ML570 to work, I'd lost my job.
>
> Hey, you can try connecting to a port that you know is using gigabit. If
> not, its your configuration.

Thanks for the info..... sorry about your job tho
June 7, 2005 8:51:17 PM

> Hi
> Server 2003 sp1
>
> I have 3 network cards in my Proliant ML570 Server 2 Ethernet Gig and 1
> fibre gig card...
>
> now if I want to maximise bandwidth do I give the cards all the same IP
> address and the original fibre gig card was "fileserver" 192.168.1.1
>
> now with the new server I have 2 Ethernet gigs that can be teamed....
>
> so before if I pinged "fileserver" I got the DNS back of 192,168,1,1 now
> if there are 3 different ip addresses for the server won't that throw into
> confusion the IP addresses for "fileserver" and any mappings or shares?
>
> also I have a core switch with gig Ethernet slots but somehow cannot get
> above 100mps with Cat5 cable from the gig slots on the server..
>
> How do I set this up to get the best reliable bandwidth
>
> thanks

I would check out what your card(s) and switch are configured to do when
they see a connection. Do they auto negotiate or are the speeds set
manually? I was thrown by this recently a Dell 2600 with onboard Intel
gigabit NIC connecting to a 3COM 4200 series switch with 2 x gig ports.
After checking that the switch was set to advertise it's maximum speed I
checked out the nic on the server and found that it was set to 100TX rather
than 1000TX or Auto negotiate.

Other comments in this thread are valid too. There is no way you can max out
these cards on the pci bus you are using and that's if your raid array can
keep up! As a backup incase of nic failure it's a good idea but for
aggregated performance, forget about it.

Andy
!