Sign in with
Your question

"AMD to drop ATi brand"

Last response: in CPUs
August 7, 2006 9:42:23 PM

ATI never put anywhere near as much effort nor cash into marketing their brand like Nvidia did.

It would have been more expensive to market two brands from one company, especially as AMD bought ATI to integrate them. They're just modeling themselves on the successful Intel marketing proposition.

It'll be a shame to see the name and brand go, but hey, everything moves on sooner or later.
August 7, 2006 9:49:22 PM

that is pretty drastic though... this merge can be considered IMO as big as the 3dFX takeover when the voodoo cards were around!

From what I've learned we see a lot of the voodoo technologies even presently in the cards we use! Kinda nifty... im sure the stuff that AMD and ATI will put together will surely be revolutionary! and will change the gaming is done... but we wont see it for a few years ;) 
Related resources
August 7, 2006 9:55:43 PM

I think it would be best to get confirmation from other sources before getting too excited by this.

You'll notice that PCPro doesn't list its source, and requires a sign-in to read the article.
August 7, 2006 9:57:30 PM

Quote:
that is pretty drastic though... this merge can be considered IMO as big as the 3dFX takeover when the voodoo cards were around!

From what I've learned we see a lot of the voodoo technologies even presently in the cards we use! Kinda nifty... im sure the stuff that AMD and ATI will put together will surely be revolutionary! and will change the gaming is done... but we wont see it for a few years ;) 

The merger (oops sorry - takeover) muight be dramatic rather than drastic, but bear in mind that Voodoo's biggest failing was not their technology - far from it - it was their inability to being their product to market in a timely manner and promote it correctly. Nvidia could and the rest as they say is history.

AMD clearly don't want to go down the same path.

The other reason could well be the rather exciting GPU technology that ATI is close to bringing to market at the end of this year, and you can bet that AMD would love to have their brand stamped all over it, not that of ATI. After all, they're offering to pay over $5 billion for that right, so why not.
August 7, 2006 10:03:31 PM

Quote:
I think it would be best to get confirmation from other sources before getting too excited by this.

You'll notice that PCPro doesn't list its source, and requires a sign-in to read the article.

you know i have to admit, i was thinking that i haven't seen this via any other sources but then it has to come first from somewhere.
but yes we'll see, im not sure how reliable PC Pro is with there newsreports so as you pointed out treat with caution, but reason for a debate on possible strategy that AMD could take.
August 7, 2006 10:21:41 PM

Quote:
Baker said that 'the company is being bought, so it's fairly standard that the name should go, as it's becoming a part of AMD.'

I don't think the name drop is a big surprise to anyone. However, the article doesn't specify a date. As I've said earlier, I'd be really surprised if AMD dropped the ATi name brand in less than a year.

All that said, I question the authenticity of this article. It's not a stretch to assume AMD will eventually drop the ATi name brand. (Duh!). I fear the aim of this article is draw hits, not unlike The Inq.'s true purpose. It appears someone is trying to make a name for themselves.

A quick search of google doesn't link Gareth Cater and AMD together. Neither does MSN. One would think that if this Gareth fellow was authorized to speak on such matters, there'd be a history of linked AMD + Gareth Cater articles all over the net.
August 7, 2006 10:24:10 PM

Quote:

Clearly, someone has altered the article from when you've read it and probably did so after reading your reply. Not only does it not require a login to read it, they list an AMD source.

It appears that the author of this thread and article is unreliable.
August 7, 2006 10:25:53 PM

Old news, jesus was talking about this back in his day.
August 7, 2006 10:41:57 PM

Quote:
Clearly, someone has altered the article from when you've read it and probably did so after reading your reply. Not only does it not require a login to read it, they list an AMD source.

Did you try re-reading it? It let me read the first time, but when I returned to this thread and tried reading it again, it came up with (and still comes up with) a login screen. Tried clearing temps & cookies to no avail - must track ip.

As far as a source goes, I meant a link to a source. Sorry for the confusion there, unless there is now a link to the source.
August 7, 2006 10:52:28 PM

Quote:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/custompc/news/91589/amd-to-drop-...

this news change any persons thoughts on AMD's strategy with their new purchase ?

I really question the validity of this article. It is a huge merger and PCPro gets press before Wall Street Journal or any other major network? Right...

Need to wake up a little earlier to trick this bird. Like you all have said I wouldnt be surprised to see the ATi name go by the wayside but not any time soon. Plus, the "article" (if it even warrants that term) makes it sound like a hostile take over from the 80's and I just don't buy it.

Congrats you have now been placed in the category with 9inch!
August 7, 2006 11:03:28 PM

Quote:

Did you try re-reading it? It let me read the first time, but when I returned to this thread and tried reading it again, it came up with (and still comes up with) a login screen. Tried clearing temps & cookies to no avail - must track ip.

As far as a source goes, I meant a link to a source. Sorry for the confusion there, unless there is now a link to the source.

Yes you are absolutely right. I just tried opening the link in a new browser and it wants me to register. Their website is keeping track of visits using your IP address. That's why clearing cookies didn't work.

Clearly, this article is an elaborate ploy to get membership and artificial readership.

F*uckers. I hope they go down in flames.

Do they really think we're all that stupid?
August 7, 2006 11:07:42 PM

For those that are not members of that site:

Quote:
Chip guru AMD has announced that it's going to drop the ATi brand name following its takeover of the Canadian graphics underdog. Gareth Cater from AMD told Custom PC that 'the new company will be called AMD,' meaning that we could shortly be seeing AMD-branded Radeon graphics chips.
We asked Richard Baker from AMD if this meant that the memorable Radeon name would also be biting the dust, but he replied that 'we haven't made any final decisions yet, but I'd personally be very surprised if we dropped any of those product names. The ATi company name is definitely going, though.'

Baker stressed that, contrary to what's been reported in the press elsewhere, the acquisition will be a takeover rather than a merger, which means that AMD is going to be wearing the trousers in its relationship. Baker said that 'the company is being bought, so it's fairly standard that the name should go, as it's becoming a part of AMD.'

Chris Hook from ATi shrugged off the move, saying that 'I don't have a personal emotional attachment to it [the brand], one way or another. I think the important thing is that we're going to make good products. ATi may be gone, but certainly lots of discussion is going to come over the next few days about the rest of our brands and their strengths.' Could the next Radeon chip be AMD branded? Watch this space.

August 7, 2006 11:10:57 PM

Yeah... read it all the first time it let me in.

Quote:
Watch this space.

Yeah right. LOL.
August 7, 2006 11:11:25 PM

Looks authentic to me. I'm registered on that site, so I went in without a login.

That's the website for PC PRO, which is the best-selling PC magazine in the UK (I know it exists in the US too).

So unless someone has hacked the site, PC PRO would be risking their rep a bit by putting a false story out.
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
August 7, 2006 11:23:07 PM

Quote:

this news change any persons thoughts on AMD's strategy with their new purchase ?

Quote:

Chip guru AMD has announced that it's going to drop the ATi brand name following its takeover of the Canadian graphics underdog.

I wouldn't call ATI an underdog. Their overall graphics shipments are ahead of nVidia.

ATI’s Market Share Drops, Nvidia’s – Rises, Intel Remains on Top.

Q2 2006

Intel - 40.30%
ATI - 27.60%
nVidia - 20.30%
August 7, 2006 11:29:26 PM

Quote:

Nothing but idle speculation on a slow news day. Keep in mind that ATI has a substantial market presence and a large installed base, with long term upgrade potential. AMD will not throw that away.
August 7, 2006 11:30:49 PM

I'm not saying the information being presented is necessarily wrong. (As I said earlier, I too have come to the same conclusion as the article has.) What I'm saying is the motivation for presenting this information is questionable. And so are the journalistic standards (or lack thereof).
August 7, 2006 11:40:13 PM

Quote:

The key to this is what I said long ago.

Excerpt:

Quote:
Gareth Cater from AMD told Custom PC that 'the new company will be called AMD,' meaning that we could shortly be seeing AMD-branded Radeon graphics chips.

The ATi brand is not as important as Radeon or RDxxx/Rxxx. I think I said something about renaming Angelina Jolie.
August 8, 2006 1:43:47 AM

Quote:

It is so nice to have a clairvoyant as a member of this forum. I can sleep so much better at night knowing everything that is going to happen in the cpu industry weeks/months before it actually does.

Thank you so much BaronBS!
August 8, 2006 2:33:35 AM

Quote:

Excerpt:

Quote:
Gareth Cater from AMD told Custom PC that 'the new company will be called AMD,' meaning that we could shortly be seeing AMD-branded Radeon graphics chips.

The ATi brand is not as important as Radeon or RDxxx/Rxxx. I think I said something about renaming Angelina Jolie.

THis is fine Baron to a point where, as some one like yourself who tracks the number of times the toilets flush in fab 30 --- but to the unknowing Joe Blow Consumer they will see a graphics card with an AMD logo on it and likely go "pffthhhh, what the hell, Intel tried this and sucked.... when will CPU companies understand they cannot make graphics cards....".

I don't believe it wise to immediately retire the ATI logo/brand. I think they should co-logo/brand it for a while to get people educated or at least phase it out a little slowly.

What is the first "NAME" that you notice on this box?

How about this one?

August 8, 2006 3:03:15 AM

Sorry, I can't seem to get past:
Quote:
I think I said something about renaming Angelina Jolie.

August 8, 2006 3:24:24 AM

Quote:

LMAO!!! :lol:  :trophy:
August 8, 2006 3:25:34 AM

Quote:

You sure thats Angelina Jolie? Look more like Tricia McMillan. :wink:
August 8, 2006 3:26:27 AM

its as ATi president said, the brand isn't as important as delivering a superior product that the consumers want to have. So who cares if the name changes long as the tech keeps progressing, and they keep fighting nVidia i don't mind at all
August 8, 2006 3:28:38 AM

Quote:

Yep, it is Angelina -- the guy is Brad Pitt -- this is a scene from Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Or Baron's dreams...
August 8, 2006 3:33:30 AM

Quote:

She's a cheerleader 8O for my Brockian Ultra Cricket team. :p  :wink:
August 8, 2006 3:34:29 AM

Quote:

Excerpt:

Quote:

Baron, I wont argue the point, as IMO it does have a degree of validity, however, with ATI moving further and further into the non PC video electronics market, branding their name (not the radeon logo) this does stand to potentially hurt them. In fact, it would be suprising considering the new markets that they stand to expand in over the next few years. I think it would be disapointing were AMD actually to do this, essentially slowing ATIs progress in the non PC markets by killing their identity.
August 8, 2006 3:36:58 AM

Quote:

She's a cheerleader 8O for my Brockian Ultra Cricket team. :p  :wink:

Trillian, or Angie? :tongue:
August 8, 2006 3:40:54 AM

The article is also available here:

http://megagames.com/news/html/hardware/atibrandgoneamd...

The thing I wonder is how ATI employees feel about this. The article said that AMD is out to make sure everyone understands that this is a takeover not a merger. Now everyone knows this, but they really don't need to be so blunt about it. I'm sure quite a few employees may feel a bit disgruntled by AMD's aggressiveness.

The other factor is that this pretty much quarantees that there will be no future Intel chipsets by ATI beyond the RD600, the RS600, and the cut down versions of those 2. (I suppose the RS700 is probably still a go since it's pretty close with its 2007 launch with DX10 support for Vista). I can't see Intel allowing anyone to buy a AMD motherboard for their Intel processor.
August 8, 2006 3:43:10 AM

Quote:
THis is fine Baron to a point where, as some one like yourself who tracks the number of times the toilets flush in fab 30 ---

LMAO.

And I agree; dropping the ATI name brand quickly would be unwise. Thus, I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. But I've been wrong before...
August 8, 2006 3:46:05 AM

Quote:

Well, it's definately not Eddie - he's in the space-time continuim. :D 

As to your above post, I think AMD dropping the ATI name might be beneficial in the embedded market. ATI already has a foothold in the cellphone & portable media devices. If AMD moved to its own name, it may help in pushing to be a supplier of other chips for this market. AMD might see its future as being diversified, rather than PC-only.
August 8, 2006 3:58:42 AM

Quote:

Well, it's definately not Eddie - he's in the space-time continuim. :D 

As to your above post, I think AMD dropping the ATI name might be beneficial in the embedded market. ATI already has a foothold in the cellphone & portable media devices. If AMD moved to its own name, it may help in pushing to be a supplier of other chips for this market. AMD might see its future as being diversified, rather than PC-only.

Very true, very true. But I fear AMD may run the risk of driving customers in those markets away. Those who have no what an "AMD" is could choose to go with other name brand manufacturers.

I've understood the points Jack has made on the merger for platforming, and it makes sense, but is seems risky to mess with a name thats established in other markets if your planning on staying in those markets. Could work out for them, could backfire. I guess we'll all find out in the not to distant future.

Ahh, happy little eddie. Last time I heard about him, he was on Frogstar World B looking for some Farie Cake. :wink:
August 8, 2006 12:04:39 PM

I understand that most of us distrust this article, so I did some digging and two of the people quoted in this article do, in fact, work for the companies they are quoted from, so a few emails from connected people (like the mods or authors here at THG) should settle this easily. Richard Baker is AMD's European channel marketing manager (or at least he was in December 2005. Chris Hook is PR Manager, Mobile and Integrated Business Unit, ATI Technologies Inc. and can be reached at 905-882-2600 Ext. 8477 or chook@ati.com. Gareth Cater is the only one I can't find anything thing about, I even tried Gareth Carter, to no avail.
August 8, 2006 12:27:01 PM

Custom PC have backtracked on most of the original article, now its all down to 'mixed messages':

Quote:
Tuesday 8th August 2006

AMD stays hand over ATi brand axe 12:46PM

Custom PC discovered yesterday that a number of AMD and ATi staff had understood the ATi brand was to be dropped. However, AMD has backtracked on that position, saying no such decision has been made and that it maintains a strong commitment to the ATi brand.
AMD's olive branch to ATi fan boys came straight from the company's Sunnyvale headquarters. Spokesperson Eric DeRitis told Custom PC: 'AMD has no plans to drop the ATi brand name or ATi's product brands. The ATi name will live on at AMD as our leading consumer brand, and so will the Radeon brand and other ATi product brands. AMD's executive management knows very well the power and value of branding, and ATi's branding is some of the most valued in the global technology industry. As such, we plan to keep it. Period.'

Gareth Cater of AMD told us today that although 'the new company will be called AMD ... the future branding of individual products and platforms will be determined at a later point in time.'

What's clear from all this is that ATi will have no part in the overall name of the company after the takeover, but it's possible that AMD will continue to use the ATi brand, as well as the Radeon brand, for specific product lines. What's also clear is that mixed messages are not only being given to the press, but also to the employees of both ATi and AMD.

linked from the front page at

http://www.custompc.co.uk/

Not linked direct as you have to log in to read it (after a certian number of pages are read).
August 8, 2006 12:29:37 PM

Interesting, very interesting. Personally, I don't care what they call it, as long as the performance delivers.
August 8, 2006 12:38:46 PM

Quoting "The Enquirer":

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33529

"The death of the ATI brand will pretty much start immediately, so you can expect that the fall line-up of chipsets and graphic processors will bear AMD branding. It will be certainly interesting to see that actually the best chipset for Conroe, or Core 2 Duo is actually coming from - AMD.

Knowing that AMD likes to create names starting with obligatory "on" at the end of the brand name, we would not be surprised if all of the new AMD products follow suit.

You can expect that the current "Imageon" brand will remain intact, since it does end with the "on" and fits AMD's mantra perfectly (Athletic+on, SemperFi+on, Imagine+on).µ"

It's strange that they don't want to keep "Radeon" since it ends with "on". They could just rename it from ATI Radeon to AMD Radeon.
August 8, 2006 12:39:23 PM

Mixed messages, mixed schmessages! Either Custom PC got caught with it's pants down, or AMD got scared off by customer reaction! I believe it to be the former, but I have no real proof. One thing is for sure, Custom PC is getting a lot of mileage out of this story! I for one can't wait to see what they say tomorrow......
August 8, 2006 12:55:21 PM

Who cares! as long as they keep making good cards and Nvidia keeps making good cards, we all win. :D  :D 
August 8, 2006 1:12:10 PM

Quote:
Mixed messages, mixed schmessages! Either Custom PC got caught with it's pants down, or AMD got scared off by customer reaction! I believe it to be the former, but I have no real proof. One thing is for sure, Custom PC is getting a lot of mileage out of this story! I for one can't wait to see what they say tomorrow......

Indeed, it looks like a good example of journalists printing gossip to scare up some sort of definitive comment when they cannot get a company to commit on an issue they have found of interest.

This way however they print the 'OH NO THE NAME HAS GONE, WOE WOE END OF THE WORLD' gossip from some employees and end up with some sort of vague answer that no decision was made yet (which was probably what they were told in the first place), but stir up interest in finding it out (for those people who are bothered about names).
August 8, 2006 1:36:39 PM

Quote:

NOT a "merge", it is a takeover, though not a hostile one given that the ATI board approved it. That's part of the problem with the idiots in the media - the keep calling it a "technology merger", it's not. AMD is going to tear ATI apart, keep the good stuff that helps them, and dump the things/name/people that don't. That's the way it works.

For people to even care about "name dropping" is pointless. BUT, since speculation seems to run rampant here at the THG forums, I shall jump into the speculation fray.

I think AMD will do what they say they are goingn to do - drop "ATI", but it is likely that they will keep "Radeon" until the next gen GPU comes out, then they will dump that name in favor of a new one. Also, be on the look out for new names for old products - ie once AMD fully integrates the GPU, into a "system", you'll see some sort of tag line along with the 64-Live campaign.
August 8, 2006 6:27:50 PM

Befor anyone else has a hissy, directly under the article is a related sections and the first on this list goes to this article:

Tuesday 08 Aug 06
AMD stays hand over ATi brand axe 12:46PM
Custom PC discovered yesterday that a number of AMD and ATi staff had understood the ATi brand was to be dropped. However, AMD has backtracked on that position, saying no such decision has been made and that it maintains a strong commitment to the ATi brand.
AMD's olive branch to ATi fan boys came straight from the company's Sunnyvale headquarters. Spokesperson Eric DeRitis told Custom PC: 'AMD has no plans to drop the ATi brand name or ATi's product brands. The ATi name will live on at AMD as our leading consumer brand, and so will the Radeon brand and other ATi product brands. AMD's executive management knows very well the power and value of branding, and ATi's branding is some of the most valued in the global technology industry. As such, we plan to keep it. Period.'

Gareth Cater of AMD told us today that although 'the new company will be called AMD ... the future branding of individual products and platforms will be determined at a later point in time.'

What's clear from all this is that ATi will have no part in the overall name of the company after the takeover, but it's possible that AMD will continue to use the ATi brand, as well as the Radeon brand, for specific product lines. What's also clear is that mixed messages are not only being given to the press, but also to the employees of both ATi and AMD.

Ben Hardwidge
August 8, 2006 7:06:17 PM

My feeling after thinking about this one for a while is this AMD will probably drop the ATI name... for Chipsets ALA what Intel does :) 

I also think ATI will retain its name for its graphics cards and probably for phones too ?

This is all complete speculation on my part, but hey I have been right like once or twice before :)  lol
August 8, 2006 7:19:43 PM

A re-branding makes sense. AMD shouldn't ditch the Radeon product line, but they should ditch the "ATI" name.

AMD Radeon X1900

Sounds kinda funny, but it definitely gives AMD more recognition as a technology leader, even if they aren't yet benefiting from the acquisition.
August 8, 2006 8:26:33 PM

Quote:

What is the first "NAME" that you notice on this box?

How about this one?

The first thing I saw was ATI. my eyes were drawn to the red/white logo each time.

IMO, changing the name, eventually, makes sense, but I'd have both names on the box for at least a year or 2. When Datsun changed names to Nissan, both names were onthe car for at least 1 or 2 years.
August 8, 2006 8:35:19 PM

Quote:

It is so nice to have a clairvoyant as a member of this forum. I can sleep so much better at night knowing everything that is going to happen in the cpu industry weeks/months before it actually does.

Please remove this insult or I will report it.
August 8, 2006 8:37:11 PM

Quote:

Please remove this insult or I will report it.

thats just wrong BaronBS
August 8, 2006 8:38:01 PM

Quote:

Yep, it is Angelina -- the guy is Brad Pitt -- this is a scene from Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Or Baron's dreams...

I don't like skinny women. I don't know how Brad traded Jennifer for Angelina.
!