Paging File Size

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

With a 32-Bit machine, the server can address up to 4GB of memory correct? I
have 6GB of memory in the server with the /3gb and /PAE switch. With this
configuration, would I have need of a paging file since the max a program
can use is 4gb? (one program can use a max of 4gb correct?) If I do need a
paging file would i set it to 150% greater than 6gb so it would be 9GB? What
math do I need to figure out what a 64-bit machine can use for memory? what
is the equation? thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Nope,

The extra memory above 4GB will not be paged.

Be also aware that not all applications make use of the extra memory, even
between 2 and 3GB, namely:

2~3GB (/3GB):
The application (EXE header) must have the bit set: large memory aware (or
something like that).

>4GB (/PAE):
The application must make use of the AWE API.

Some examples:
Exchange: /3GB: yes, /PAE: no

SQL: /3GB: yes, /PAE: yes (Oracle as well)

AND: you have to tell the application to use that API (SQL: awe, Oracle: vlm)

The kernel will still use 1GB of virtual address space
So in short:
Kernel: 3~4GB (in case of /3GB)
Your app: 0~3GB (0~2GB if your app is not compiled that way, so 2~3GB will
then not be used)
and 4~6GB in case of /PAE, accessible by extra API only.

64bit: remember IA64 (Itanium) is not the same as x64). Furthermore, it
differs by version of Windows. Examples:
2003 Ent, Itanium: 64GB
2003 DC, Itanium: 512GB

Don't forget to check your application as well!

--

Chau chau,

Pascalos