IDE to SATA conversion

snochick

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I have a n00b question for you.

I have an ASUS A8V mobo with a 20gb main HDD and a 160gb storage HDD. I also have a dvd burner (optorite) and a dvd/cdrw combo (sony).

Both of these systems are connected to the mobo by those nasty ribbon cables that I would like to get rid of. The trick is, I only have two sata connections on the mobo.

Which two drives should I connect to the mobo directly, and which two should get to be connected with a PCI card. Not sure whether I want them in a RAID. Prolly not.

The reason I ask is that I have heard that some of the little IDE to SATA adapters do not work well with optical drives.

Or should I just forget it and get a new mobo with SATA drives? I like to do some video editing, so that might be better than the hassle (though about ten times the cost) :)

Thanks.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I'm a little confused on your description, You'd like to to move over to serial connection rather than IDE?
Of the two drives which is SATA? I assume the 160 drive? Yes, those adapters are sensitive and really would serve no purpose having them on a sata channel when they reside on a udma 66. Your raid question would come into play if you intend to get a second (160) drive. If house keeping is your only worry try some rounded cables. Otherwise unless you upgrade you opti devices and storage to sata and get a controller, there is not real gain in what you'd like to do ( or what I think you'd like to do).

TRENDING THREADS