can i get decent performance still on a socket A system?

PsYch0

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
ok, so here is the overview...

I until recently have not been making that much money, and have been forced to stick with my old socket A 2200+

but now i have someone who is going to be giving me a 2600+ so that will be my new processor

now i am running a video card that i will not even mention because as soon as i get a better one i am burning it while throwing it out the window...

my overall question is... i am going to be buying an x800GTO AGP vid card for 75 dollars... i guess my first question is... is this a good price, and second, will the processor be a big bottleneck in gaming performace.

the system is as follows

XP2600+
768MB DDR
X800GTO AGP

basically i want to know if this will be a decent (not great of course i know)gaming machine for a while until i have enough money to build myself a new system.

thanks for the help guys. :)

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
great machine for playing pong...
not so great for playing fear or oblivion...

You should really state what games you are playing so we can tell whether that machine is "decent" or not... it's subjective.

You can play CS:S with that if you turn down the eye candy and get ok frame rates...

PsYch0

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I probably will use this system only for CS:CZ and possibly source (i dont really like source that much) and for my MMO Silkroadonline (www.silkroadonline.net)... other than that i dont think i will try to push any of the newer games until i have the money to build a halfway new system.

basically what i want to know is will CS run good on low-normal settings to where i get at least 40 frames at most times, and no vid lag. Or will the CPU cause issues with framerates?? thanks.

and is 75$ a decent price for the x800 GTO?? ty.