mpjesse

Splendid
Over the past 2 weeks I've been bitching about Conroe/Core 2 Duo being a paper launch. As promised, I told everyone that if I could not buy a Core 2 Duo from newegg.com on August 7th, I'd admit I was wrong.

So I admit I was wrong.

HOWEVER, there is still a major cause for concern over this launch. Pricing is one and availability is another. Newegg is selling E6300 and E6400's, but no E6600's, 6700, or x6800. Additionally, the price they're charging for an E6300 is nearly 2x the suggested retail price. Newegg isn't the only guilty one. I haven't seen a single retailer selling the E6300 or any other C2D for the suggested retail. Suggested retail price is of course subjective and by no means a binding agreement. However, this sort of price gouging is "out of the norm" from any other launch I've ever seen. I seriously doubt that Newegg or any other retailer/distributor paid a premium for these chips. Thus, in my opinion, they're ripping people off. But I could be wrong...

Anyways, I'll now shut up with the whole paper launch thing.

mulciber

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
I don't think it was a paper launch. I don't even think it was a deliberate fake-ish launch designed to rob orders from AMD; I believe this despite a long history of similar tactics. I just think its a poorly designed, and bias launch. I think processors meant for some retailers are being sent to other retailers in order to pick-and-choose who will make the most money from this launch and can build or maintain a steady reputation.

I think you are being very silly in crying about Newegg. As has been pointed out repeatidly today, Newegg has several errors on their C2D pages. Their specs are incorrect and the prices they admit are a mistake. If you bothered to read a couple of the Newegg C2D threads, as you seem to expect others to read your threads, you would find that this info is readily available.

I guess I am a basher, or maybe I am just an honest poster tired of reading the same dribble and being told its somehow unique.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Where are all the bashers? (waiting for the told you so's)

Only a few infants here are waiting to bash someone who presents a reasoned thought-process / debate / opinion here.

I think it is fair to say that demand is high, supplies are low, both vary from region to region, and retailers are making hay whilst the sun shines and charging whatever they can get away with.

mpjesse

Splendid
Look. All I know is that when i do a search for an E6300 on newegg.com, the price is double suggested retail. If that was a mistake, then why hasn't newegg changed the price? Hmmm?

And who cares about erroneous tech specs? We all know them anyways. Besides, the only technical spec is see wrong on the E6300 page is "No hyperthreading support." And I'm not even sure that's wrong. Otherwise, clock speed, cache size, and extension support is right.

Despite all that, I still only buy my stuff from newegg. I just dropped $500 on them last week for a new LCD and DVD burner. So don't mistake my complaints about newegg for disloyalty. I'm just saying I'm not stupid enough to buy an E6300 for $360 when i know it'll be $186 in a matter of weeks.

mulciber

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
I would think erroneous tech specs and ultra-high pricing might point to the pages being put together quickly, and I think it might emphasize that the pages are prone to mistakes. Also several conversations with newegg support posted on THG in this CPU section of the forums have highlighted that newegg is aware of errors in pricing and description, and that they are also in the process of fixing it.

Any way you play the card, we all knew weeks ago that demand is high and quantity is low. We all knew that prices will be skyhigh until the demand has subsided. Then it will stabalize; if you want low prices, wait two months.

EDIT: Error on Newegg specs ;)

mpjesse

Splendid
OK, so then the E6300 tech specs are correct. What the hell is mulciber talking about then? I can't be bothered with reading all 61 newegg C2D threads! I've work to do!

;-)

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

Your post subject is all wrong to attract them. I suggest:
"AMD hates Linux"
"Core 2 Duo is a recruitment tactic for Satan"
"Apple is only used by heterosexuals"
"K8L launches next week"
"The Inquirer has found more Dead Sea Scrolls"

Seriously though, your posts and reponses about your "paper launch" view, were all very neutral and level-headed. As I have stated before, that I think it was more of a f*cked-up launch (as most highly sought new-tech is), than a "paper launch" - It is only a differing opinion.

You have not twisted facts to support your opinion.
You did not start a "paper launch" thread and run.
You have not resorted to personal attacks on those whose views differ.

You are not a fanboy, so "bashing" is not justified. Since this is all about opinion, we could agree to disagree even if you didn't feel you were wrong (sort of). :)

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Uh, "told ya"...but I agree with you on pricing and availablity. As much as I think that this over demand for C2D is insane, to price gouge by e-retailers is plain greed.

I ordered my C2Ds, and will hopefully have them in hand in September. I'm not in a big rush, and it'll give me some time to price some motherboards and such.

So, not gonna bash anyone, especially since you had your points of what you believed was a paper launch.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
That's pretty gross (price-wise, that is).

Geez, I mean, I know the Egg might have just got a nice little wooden box of CPUs, but damn, that's a huge mark up, free shipping or not.

I still stick with my "wait" answer. Let those who can't wait run and get the C2D. They will "beta" the motherboards, and post all the fixes and "bumps in the road" and how to eliminate them (and I will be most thankful, too).

Gormeroth

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
yah those prices are nuts. it's a little surprising on neweggs side, however i never really cared so much for a new hardware launch so i never really paid attention..

i really honestly can't wait... but i have to. i've got an e6600 pre ordered on shopblt because they have a good price and it's retail.. however, i still have to wait until august 16th and if by that time newegg gets it for a little more, i'm just going with newegg.

only reason why i haven't purchased a tad more expensive e6600 oem from microcenter is because i mean... what the fuck is really the rush? get my core 2 this week or 2 weeks from now, in the long run it doesn't make a goddamn of a difference because those of us that want an sli 590 board will still continue to wait..

also, have you guys taken a look at the current available boards? almost $300?? christ, the 590 boards are probably goin to break $300 if this shit keeps up.

anyway man, don't feel bad i have felt the same as you, frustrated and irritated. :\ but good things come to those who wait!

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Jesse, you seem to be suffering from flame-bashicus non-eventicus. As I hate to see suffering, and love to help put people out of their misery:

TOLD YOU SO

Just kidding :wink:

Good on you for posting this

Peace

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Apparently HT doesn't work very effeciently with the short pipeline (compared to P4) of conroe

HT was just a way to tide things over (and get some level of efficiency out of P4) until dual cores arrived. It also gave developers a reason to start threading apps before the dual-cores came out.

Would be nice if they could get it working though, as long as they don't charge premium dollars for it