Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte DQ6 vs Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 7, 2006 10:45:15 PM

Basically I wouldn't have changed my mind from the P5W unless it didn't just go out of stock and delay my order over 10 days, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Heres the setup:

Processor: E6300 cooled by a Tuniq Tower 120
PSU: Seasonic S12 600W
Memory: Corsair PC-6400 2GB Cas 5
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200.10 (is 7200.9 better?)
Case: Antec P180

*I'll be looking for maximum OC potential from my E6300
*I'll be using onboard sound
*Future-proofing is a great plus
*Lots of BIOS options would be good
*First build, so anything that makes it user friendly

Also the DQ6 is a bit cheaper :D  But I really want to stay with the P5W cause of the added features it seems to have, and the fact it has been noted as a perfect couple with the E6300.

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks[/list]
August 7, 2006 11:10:55 PM

First off, do you already have the 6300? If not, then what's the hurt on waiting? I like the P5W, lots of stuff, the BIOS is the only issue, but easy fix with one call to Asus.
August 7, 2006 11:47:28 PM

mines ships with 0701, that can support the E6300?

I will recieve everything when it comes in stock, becuase they will send it all together. If I changed to the DQ6 I could get it within 2 days.

The DQ6 claims to be quad core compatible, I have my doubts about the P5W though becuase it couldn't even support C2D without a BIOS update, so quad core seems a little distant for it. Could anyone confirm?
Related resources
August 8, 2006 12:03:35 AM

Quote:
mines ships with 0701, that can support the E6300?

I will recieve everything when it comes in stock, becuase they will send it all together. If I changed to the DQ6 I could get it within 2 days.

The DQ6 claims to be quad core compatible, I have my doubts about the P5W though becuase it couldn't even support C2D without a BIOS update, so quad core seems a little distant for it. Could anyone confirm?

I already got my P5W, now I'm waiting for a core 2 duo... I was amazed how much stuff it comes with. I can't wait to try out the little remote control.
Also does anyone know if I can tell by just visually inspecting the mobo if it's going to support a core 2 duo without a bios update? Also if I'm going to need to update the bios can I at least use the core 2 duo to get it to boot enough to flash it?
August 8, 2006 12:17:37 AM

nope, if its the old bios you cant even use a C2D chip to flash because it wont post
August 8, 2006 12:28:43 AM

If you guys don't have the 801 Bios with the P5W DH Deluxe, call Asus and tell them the situation and they will ship you for a free a new Bios chip with the 801 Bios :D 

Mine is in shipping atm.
August 8, 2006 12:29:23 AM

0701 supports C2D?

y/n?
August 8, 2006 12:29:56 AM

Quote:
If you guys don't have the 801 Bios with the P5W DH Deluxe, call Asus and tell them the situation and they will ship you for a free a new Bios chip with the 801 Bios :D 

Mine is in shipping atm.

Cool, can you tell what bios you got without booting it up?
August 8, 2006 12:51:14 AM

I just called Asus and they told me mine won't support it 8O I have to call their Bios department tomorrow between 9-5 EST and they'll ship me a new one... Did they tell you how they shipped it (slow boat from china), because I'm gonna ask them if they will use my fed ex account # and ship it fast as hell :D 
August 8, 2006 1:51:32 AM

Just call back the same number tomorrow and they will transfer you to the Bios Departement...

They said it's either ground or air shipping. Ground shipping is free for u but if you take Air, you gotta pay the extra.

I personnally took ground but someone i know took Air and he got his chip the next day...

:wink:
August 8, 2006 1:52:29 AM

I got the 502 Bios atm but since I don't have my processor yet, I didn't even try to boot the shit up :) 
August 8, 2006 2:12:11 AM

Quote:
Just call back the same number tomorrow and they will transfer you to the Bios Departement...

They said it's either ground or air shipping. Ground shipping is free for u but if you take Air, you gotta pay the extra.

I personnally took ground but someone i know took Air and he got his chip the next day...

:wink:

Awes thanks bordy, ground is cool I just didn't want them to ship it slow boat from China, or Taiwan in Asus's case... :lol: 
August 8, 2006 2:21:20 AM

BTW It will probably be a sexy female voice that will take your adress in the Bios Departement 8)
August 8, 2006 2:57:57 AM

Quote:
BTW It will probably be a sexy female voice that will take your adress in the Bios Departement 8)

:lol:  I can't wait, it'll be huge step up from this afternoon which was some India guy who I couldn't understand very well...
August 8, 2006 3:15:50 AM

LMAO When I called last Friday at 23:30 East, an India guy answered too :lol:  Can u imagine, I'm speaking french (from Quebec) so I didn't understand anything ...
a c 478 à CPUs
August 8, 2006 3:19:23 AM

Quote:
0701 supports C2D?

y/n?

No.

You can call Asus for the BIOS chip that will support Conroe. You'll need to have BIOS 0801 which will support up to the C2D E6700.

You will need BIOS 0901 to support C2D X6800.

I've read posts where sometimes Asus will ship the new BIOS chip for free, but other posts said they charged $5 for shipping.
August 8, 2006 4:40:04 AM

I personally went with the DQ6 and the E6400. Other than that our specs are similar. So far it has been a great board. The only issue I've had with it is using it with my Audigy 2 ZS. There would be stability issues while playing games. I think it was just an IRQ problem but since I didn't feel like doing a lot of troubleshooting, I'm just using on board sound and removing my Audigy 2 ZS. Since then everything has worked great.

The only thing I would warn you about the DQ6 is that it cannot work with aftermarket heatsinks that requires a backplate, it must use the push pin locking system. This is because of the heatsink that Gigabyte puts on the back of the motherboard to aid in cooling. I am currently using the Thermaltake Jungle 512 HSF and with the fan running @ max the temps are about 22C idle/30C load. This fan is very noisy at full speed so I have the fan controls set be adjusted by the CPU depending on the temps. You can't even hear the fans until the temp reaches 38C and the hottest the system gets with this setup is 47C.On a cold boot the fan doesn't even begin to spin for about 5 min. Considering this I think no matter which solution you choose, you will be able OC very well.

I think the 7200.10 is the better choice for your hard drive. All your other specs look fine as well but you may want to get Cas latency 4 RAM if you plan to OC. The main reason I didn't go with the P5W is because I don't really care for the remote and the WI/FI, I will not be using a multi GPU solution, and I didn't want to deal with the BIOS issues. Other than this, they are both great boards and I'm sure you'll be happy with eihter one. Anyways, the best of luck to you and let us know how it turns out.
August 8, 2006 9:13:13 AM

well then that means the good ole tuniq tower becomes useless if I cant use a backplate?

There is no way of modding the motherboard?
August 8, 2006 9:18:45 AM

do you need a serial number to get the BIOS from ASUS?

If not can anyone give me a P5W serial that they have flashed using a different processor? And then I can claim a BIOS from it?

The backplate off the DQ6 can be removed, but will it cause instability?
August 8, 2006 12:11:47 PM

just a question how do you people aford this kind of computer equipment? the prices are gouging 8O
August 8, 2006 12:20:37 PM

hardly tbh...?

get yourself a job? A lot of places even offer some pretty decent financing too. Like 9 months no payments and no interest as long as it's in before the 9 months.

Think an E6300 and a P5W DH is expensive =/ ?

Try an X6800 and some dual X1900XT's in crossfire and a P5W DH deluxe and Cas 3 PC-8000 memory.
August 8, 2006 1:06:52 PM

anyways on topic,

I want to know if the backplate on this board can be taken off? My tuniq tower needs a backplate fitted. If the old one was removed will it cause stability issues?

And can someone tell me, why dosent ANY shop know what BIOS there motherboards ship with? 9 out of 10 don't even have the faintest clue...

:-(
August 8, 2006 1:34:45 PM

Quote:
0701 supports C2D?

y/n?

No.

You can call Asus for the BIOS chip that will support Conroe. You'll need to have BIOS 0801 which will support up to the C2D E6700.

You will need BIOS 0901 to support C2D X6800.

I've read posts where sometimes Asus will ship the new BIOS chip for free, but other posts said they charged $5 for shipping.

this might sound stupid, but how exactly do you put the bios chip in? do you have to unsolder the old one and put the new one in and resolder or does it just pop in and out? :oops: 
August 8, 2006 3:06:15 PM

itneal does the DQ6 support Core 2 out of the box? without any bios upgrades?

Thanks
a c 478 à CPUs
August 8, 2006 3:41:45 PM

Quote:

this might sound stupid, but how exactly do you but the bios chip in? do you have to unsolder the old one and put the new one in and resolder or does it just pop in and out? :oops: 

I never had to remove a BIOS chip before, but it shouldn't be soldered into the mobo. You should be able to use a flathead screw driver to slowly and gently pry it out.
a c 478 à CPUs
August 8, 2006 3:44:17 PM

Quote:
And can someone tell me, why dosent ANY shop know what BIOS there motherboards ship with? 9 out of 10 don't even have the faintest clue...

:-(

Unless the manufacturer puts a sticker on the mobo box, the only way for them to know is to actually test each and every motherboard.

Kinda time consuming if the warehouse have thousands of motherboards.
August 8, 2006 5:50:40 PM

Quote:

this might sound stupid, but how exactly do you put the bios chip in? do you have to unsolder the old one and put the new one in and resolder or does it just pop in and out? :oops: 

I never had to remove a BIOS chip before, but it shouldn't be soldered into the mobo. You should be able to use a flathead screw driver to slowly and gently pry it out.

we can only hope... anyone else have any input on this? =/
August 8, 2006 5:52:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks

it should considering it's the new Intel 965 which were designed to be fully Core 2 Duo ready!
August 8, 2006 8:40:51 PM

yes BIOS chips can be removed by a screwdriver or you can get a specific tool

look here:

http://www.biosman.com/remove_plcc.html

BACK ON TOPIC NOW?!?

Anyone used C2D with either of these motherboards? Has anyone used a heatsink with a backplate on the DQ6? Need to know :p 
August 9, 2006 2:01:39 AM

Quote:

Thanks

Yes the DQ6 supports Conroe right out of the box. It ships with BIOS version F2 (or at least mine did). This is my first socket 775 chip so flashing the BIOS wasn't an option.

As far as the back plate, it appears to be bolted on. I don't think there will be any removing it and I'm not going to try.Here is a pic of the plate. It sucks because I wanted to use my Big Typhoon with my E6400.
August 9, 2006 5:54:01 AM

I'll add more, I already changed mine out, a tiny flathead, pry at each of the two notched orners, and voila!

Mine was shipped free(and by FedEx, win!). I too am pumped about getting my CPU, so much stuff with the board, looks like fun in itself ;) 
August 9, 2006 11:10:30 AM

did you need to provide a serial number to get the BIOS sent?
August 9, 2006 2:33:14 PM

Quote:

Yes the DQ6 supports Conroe right out of the box. It ships with BIOS version F2 (or at least mine did). This is my first socket 775 chip so flashing the BIOS wasn't an option.

Thanks for the info itneal. That's what I wanted to hear :!:
This is going to be my first 775 chip also so I didn't want to have to order a new bios chip. Thanks
August 10, 2006 3:41:02 PM

Dou you guys know if the DQ6 supports GSkill RAM?
I wanted to get corsair but they're out of stock everywhere so I was thinking on on getting GSkill. Just want to be sure I have no problems when building.

Thanks
August 10, 2006 4:10:34 PM

Check the default DRAM voltage of mobo and the voltage the Gskill needs to run at as you may need to boot up with other DDR2 RAM, change the voltage in bios and then install your Gskill. I'd personally go with something other than Gskill as I've read a few things from ppl who have had compatability issues.
!