Active Directory

Hi,

I have two windows 2000 server, one is Domain Controller and additional
domain controller. By mistake I disabled RPC in additional domain controller.
After restarting I am not able to go to any property, like network, folder
etc...

Now my active directory also disabled. I tried to enable the service again
in services but not able to go to properties of this service.

I am not able to access the system in the network, but i am able to browse
in the server with same network.

Also I had disabled wins, how to enable this. When I go to network places
property, it is blank, there is no local area network icon

Could someone help me in this regards.

Thanks in advance

George

Recovery Console command *enable* enables a Windows system service or a
device driver.

enable {service_name | device_driver_name} [startup_type]

Valid startup types are:
SERVICE_BOOT_START
SERVICE_SYSTEM_START
SERVICE_AUTO_START
SERVICE_DEMAND_START

You can find a service name and startup type in the working registry at
HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services.

Hi,

Thank you very much for the reply, but I am an unlucky guy couldn't find the
registry path even in the working system. Is that path correct. Please help
me...

George

"Jetro" wrote:

> Recovery Console command *enable* enables a Windows system service or a
> device driver.
>
> enable {service_name | device_driver_name} [startup_type]
>
> Valid startup types are:
> SERVICE_BOOT_START
> SERVICE_SYSTEM_START
> SERVICE_AUTO_START
> SERVICE_DEMAND_START
>
> You can find a service name and startup type in the working registry at
> HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Wins, i.e.

*net start rpcss* and *net start wins* from Command Prompt and *enable rpcss
SERVICE_AUTO_START* and *enable wins SERVICE_AUTO_START* from Recovery
Console.

Also read

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=838428
"Could not start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service. Error 1058" error
message when you manually start the Remote Procedure Call service

Dear Jetro,

Thank you so much for the information, May God Bless You. I could do that
and now I am able to start RPC and Wins. But it seems I lost the connection
with Active directory. When I click this option " Active Directory Users and
Computers " get an error message like this " Naming information cannot be
located because: The server is not operational.Contact your system
administrator to verify that your domain is properly configured and is
currently online ".

Do I need to demote and join the domain again or any other way can I clear
this problem.

Please help me.

With prayers

George

"Phone dialer" wrote:

> Dear Jetro,
>
> Thank you so much for the information, May God Bless You. I could do that
> and now I am able to start RPC and Wins. But it seems I lost the connection
> with Active directory. When I click this option " Active Directory Users and
> Computers " get an error message like this " Naming information cannot be
> located because: The server is not operational.Contact your system
> administrator to verify that your domain is properly configured and is
> currently online ".
>
> Do I need to demote and join the domain again or any other way can I clear
> this problem.

It says win32 access denied. If I demote the server what are the
applications are running will work in the future????

> Please help me.
>
> With prayers
>
> George
>
> "Jetro" wrote:
>
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs and
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Wins, i.e.
> >
> > *net start rpcss* and *net start wins* from Command Prompt and *enable rpcss
> > SERVICE_AUTO_START* and *enable wins SERVICE_AUTO_START* from Recovery
> > Console.
> >
> > Also read

> > "Could not start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service. Error 1058" error
> > message when you manually start the Remote Procedure Call service

I am not sure you can demote a DC in this case :eek:)

Start here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323542
You Cannot Start the Active Directory Users and Computers Tool Because the
Server Is Not Operational
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887431
"Naming Information cannot be located" error message when you try to open
the Active Directory Users and Computers tool or the Active Directory Sites
and Services tool in Windows 2000 Server