How bad is the stock intel cpu fan?

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I'm building a conroe e6600 with an asus p5w dh deluxe.

I've already gone way over my budget with that processor and motherboard and I really would rather not blow extra money on a CPU fan since i'm getting one with my retail processor.

Can anyone tell me how bad/good it is sticking with that retail cpu fan?

I can tell you that I do not game and if there is an extremely high load on my CPU its for about an hour at most.

Some things i was hoping to find out were:

The noise level compared to an alternative cost efficient method

If I really needed the processor to be any cooler than the retail fan will provide, assuming I'm not going to overclock.

Thanks in advance !

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I heard that the E6600 and other Core 2 Duo's run great on the stock intel fan.

Although I have not received my E6600 for $340 from Buy.com yet :(

Some things i was hoping to find out were:

The noise level compared to an alternative cost efficient method

If I really needed the processor to be any cooler than the retail fan will provide, assuming I'm not going to overclock.

Thanks in advance !

There will be aftermarket HSF that will be quieter and cool better than any stock fan. Conroe's stock HSF should be quiet enough and do a good job at cooling.

Just put your PC together and then figure out if the stock HSF is bad, then go out to buy an aftermarket HSF. I definitely want my Conroe system to be as quiet as possible so I am sticking the Scythe Ninja on it.

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Thanks a lot guys, I really seem to get ahead of myself.

jaguar is right, i'm just gonna see how i feel about it and then decide...I just really really hate to have to blow more money on a fan :(.

P.S. Go to ASUS's site and read about that motherboard, then tell me how you think its crap if I am not running crossfire.

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
that guy is a piece of crap... he doesn't know what he is talking about.. that is the best C2D mobo on the market

MarcusL

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
He's not saying the motherboard is bad.... He's saying it is overpriced if you are not going to be overclocking or running crossfire. You are paying a premium for features you admit you will not use.

It is a great motherboard, but it's kind of like buying a Ferrari and only driving in downtown traffic. It costs a lot and you aren't using it's potential.

You could return the $250 mobo and get one for $100-$150 plus more RAM. Or get your system cost back in budget. You might lose 2-5% performance with a lesser mobo, but you'd probably never notice.

Your choice of course.....

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
If you're not overclocking, just replace it when it breaks. Even overclocking you should be able to do a bit...Just watch your temps.

My Intel fan on my PIV was fine for a year and a half, then it just died, and I replaced it with some better cooling.

Intel is not going to ship out stuff that is going to fry people's computers at stock speeds. It's a 3 year warranty for the retail kit with fan, you know...

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Well, you don't game, and you don't put too much load on your processor. The stock Intel fan should be fine, if you want a quieter solution, you could get an arctic freezer 7 pro for around $25 or so, great HSF and pretty quiet also. Your choice on that...

The P5W-DH Deluxe is overkill if your not going to overclock or do any serious gaming... I'd go with the Gigabyte DS3 instead, saves you a hundred bucks or so, and is still a good motherboard.

shadowspank

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Just keep the system out of dust and heat and it should be fine. I have the 1gen p4 stock fan got it the 1week it came out still has the same fan that came with it now running as a email server. System has been very stable I also have a 2.8 stock fan. I hear that the 3.2 cpus get hot if you dont want heat problems should have got an AMD but I all mine are intel. You should be alright.

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Well, you don't game, and you don't put too much load on your processor. The stock Intel fan should be fine, if you want a quieter solution, you could get an arctic freezer 7 pro for around $25 or so, great HSF and pretty quiet also. Your choice on that...

The P5W-DH Deluxe is overkill if your not going to overclock or do any serious gaming... I'd go with the Gigabyte DS3 instead, saves you a hundred bucks or so, and is still a good motherboard.

I'll tell you though, my main concern..stability. Thats why I have ECC memory and don't plan to overclock much if I don't notice a serious difference. I really like the 8way power with the asus and they have great audio amoung other features. Would you say that the gigabyte compares in those areas?

I mean I dont like blowing money but I don't like comprimising stability or some real useful features for 100 bucks.

simonyee04

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
If the PSU is crappy makes no differences to the stability of the system.

I think handling of the mainboard and installation comes the most important.

slow and steady hands kill no computers