iP8500 - head priming before printing second side - normal?

Tags:
  • Printers
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 15, 2005 6:32:55 PM

I've had no experience of any of the Pixmas, but I bought this to replace a
defunct SC900. The first thing I've noticed is that the automatic duplex is
glacially slow.

Example: - a two-page Word document. Time to print first page: - around 10
seconds. Time to draw paper back in, turn paper over, prime heads and print
second side: - 1 minute+.

I've started using manual duplex as it cuts printing time by about 75%.

Is this normal? Should it be doing all this priming before printing the
second side?

Thanks

Windows XP Pro SP2, printer hooked up directly to a Hi-Speed port. I tried
FireWire (800) didn't make any difference. Not that I'm surprised, a printer
isn't capable of utilising the full speed of either.

More about : ip8500 head priming printing side normal

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:32:56 PM

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> I've had no experience of any of the Pixmas, but I bought this to replace a
> defunct SC900. The first thing I've noticed is that the automatic duplex is
> glacially slow.
>
> Example: - a two-page Word document. Time to print first page: - around 10
> seconds. Time to draw paper back in, turn paper over, prime heads and print
> second side: - 1 minute+.
>
> I've started using manual duplex as it cuts printing time by about 75%.
>
> Is this normal? Should it be doing all this priming before printing the
> second side?

It's perfectly normal. That is, by design. Not by efficiency. I tried
mine (iP5000) but don't use it as it's just too painfully slow, as you
indicated, up to 75% longer than by feeding pages by hand. It's fine if
you want to torture your machine while doing the laundry. ;-)

-Taliesyn

> Thanks
>
> Windows XP Pro SP2, printer hooked up directly to a Hi-Speed port. I tried
> FireWire (800) didn't make any difference. Not that I'm surprised, a printer
> isn't capable of utilising the full speed of either.

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:32:56 PM

Thats funny, I thought you had an answer for everything.

> I've had no experience of any of the Pixmas, but I bought this to replace
> a defunct SC900. The first thing I've noticed is that the automatic duplex
> is glacially slow.
>
> Example: - a two-page Word document. Time to print first page: - around 10
> seconds. Time to draw paper back in, turn paper over, prime heads and
> print second side: - 1 minute+.
>
> I've started using manual duplex as it cuts printing time by about 75%.
>
> Is this normal? Should it be doing all this priming before printing the
> second side?
>
> Thanks
>
> Windows XP Pro SP2, printer hooked up directly to a Hi-Speed port. I tried
> FireWire (800) didn't make any difference. Not that I'm surprised, a
> printer isn't capable of utilising the full speed of either.

June 15, 2005 6:32:56 PM

> Programming sotware does not allow for printing even odd pages.

Print
(*)pages [ 1,3,5-1000]

Print
(*)pages [2,4,6-1000]

Even if you don't get the nice and spiffy odd and even button in your
print window you can manualy duplex in this way. Not so good for
printers that leave copy print side down, but great for budget printers
that leave copy print side up. But in the case you have the former...

Print
(*)pages [768, 766, 764-2]
(*)pages [767, 765, 763-1]
June 15, 2005 6:32:56 PM

> The "nice and spiffy" Odd & Even button is found in all if not most
> word-processing/desktop publishing programs

Oddly enough, I don't see it under Open Office 1.1.4, nor Notepad,
Wordpad, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer. But if i'm feeling too
lazy to type in 1,3,5-1000 I can select duplex and unclick automatic on
my ip3000 and the driver will prompt me to reinsert the paper.

So as I said... even if you don't get the nice and spiffy odd and even
buttons you can do it easily enough.
June 15, 2005 6:32:56 PM

> That would be:
> (*)pages [ 1,3,5-999]
>
> or
>
> (*)pages [ 1,3,5-1001]

Sure if your paper feed has that many, or if your ink would last that
long. You should be able to pick an arbitararly high number that is
higher than what you plan to print saving you from actually counting
how many pages the end result will be. You could use 888 or 999 if
you're worried about it.

In my case I got in the habbit of typing in 1000 as each paper cassette
would hold 500p on my old panasonic 4450i.
June 15, 2005 6:36:51 PM

> Oh Yeh, for a 50 page document how many reinserts do you make?

1
June 15, 2005 7:16:52 PM

> Notepad and Wordpad are not even stand alone programs but programs
> within programs meant basically for short text handing.

Notepad is very much in common use as a stand alone program for editing
ascii. In fact in win2k and winxp they updated it and added search and
replace, rather than prior versions that were limited to only search.

To each their own. The parent to this sub thread was talking about
programing languages, and notepad does a very fine job of taking a
large amount of code and printing it without any mucking around. I
imagine others might want to shell out money for TSE (formatly Qedit)
which is also very useful in dealing with ascii documents. Needless
to say hardcopy is very useful in debugging, and double sided printing
if nothing else saves paper and space on the shelf.

Wordpad is as you said mostly for short text handeling. For those
without Word it's useful for printing off documentation that comes with
software, which is often a sheet or two. Also it deals with RTF well
enough when again double sided can be useful for printing off
documentation.

> I don't print 20 page documents from a browser (unless maybe it's in
> a printer friendly format). I download and edit within a wordprocessor
> or desktop publisher.

I use Yahoo maps and directions alot. Draft mode page one and draft
mode page two. Very handy. I imagine I could edit the page in
anything that supports HTML, but i'm lazy.

I'm not complaining about the lack of manual duplex support in some
applications, except Open Office that should have it. For the most
part I don't care all that much. I was only pointing out that you can
do manual duplexing even if it's not an option on your print window.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:17:57 PM

zakezuke wrote:

>>Programming sotware does not allow for printing even odd pages.
>

> Print
> (*)pages [ 1,3,5-1000]
>
> Print
> (*)pages [2,4,6-1000]
>
> Even if you don't get the nice and spiffy odd and even button in your
> print window you can manualy duplex in this way.

The "nice and spiffy" Odd & Even button is found in all if not most
word-processing/desktop publishing programs. It's available in MS Word,
Serif PagePlus, Adobe Reader, and Lotus WordPro. Nobody *really* needs
the slow, mechanical duplex feature found on printers.

-Taliesyn
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:06:03 PM

Change the drying time in the driver and it will speed up some. To
print a 10 to 50 page document it is great. Set it and forget it. You
do not have to calculate page breaks and keep changing papers. For a 2
page document it is your call. It is convenient and much less a pain in
the ass to use the duplex feature.

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

>I've had no experience of any of the Pixmas, but I bought this to replace a
>defunct SC900. The first thing I've noticed is that the automatic duplex is
>glacially slow.
>
>Example: - a two-page Word document. Time to print first page: - around 10
>seconds. Time to draw paper back in, turn paper over, prime heads and print
>second side: - 1 minute+.
>
>I've started using manual duplex as it cuts printing time by about 75%.
>
>Is this normal? Should it be doing all this priming before printing the
>second side?
>
>Thanks
>
>Windows XP Pro SP2, printer hooked up directly to a Hi-Speed port. I tried
>FireWire (800) didn't make any difference. Not that I'm surprised, a printer
>isn't capable of utilising the full speed of either.

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:06:04 PM

measekite wrote:
> Change the drying time in the driver and it will speed up some.

"Speed up some?" What we need for it is to speed up TREMENDOUSLY as
it takes up to 3 times as long by default while playing Roller Coaster
Hide 'n Seek with the paper (in and out).

> To print a 10 to 50 page document it is great.

NOT if you're sitting there waiting for it to finish. I'd recommend 1
page, not more. That's all my patience (and I actually have some!) can
bear.

> Set it and forget it. You do not have to calculate page breaks and
> keep changing papers.

"Calculate" what page breaks? What are you using, Gameboy? I use OEM
;-) Windows software. The last page break I ever set was on some DOS
word processor for my Atari 1050st computer in the mid-80's - like 25
years ago. Get some new software.

Keep changing papers? How hard is it to change papers only once in a 10
to 50 page document. You print the odd pages first, then turn them over,
and print the even. No sorting required. And you just saved up to 75%
time and mechanical wear and tear of your printer. Oh, I forgot,
Measekite still uses "page breaks". Too bad for him.

> For a 2 page document it is your call.

Funny man.

> It is convenient and much less a pain in the ass to use the duplex feature.

Only Measekite would see "much less pain in the ass" in something that
takes up to 3 times as long and puts unnecessary stress (wear and tear)
on your printer. As for its ability to print a multi-page document
unattended, big deal. I can leave it to print the odd and even sides
unattended as well. I only have to return once to finish the duplex
job manually.

For ultrafast duplexing, when needed, I orchestrate BOTH of my printers
to work together to complete a job. I prefer efficiency and speed over
the lazy man, pain-in-the-ass-slow, Measekite way. Curse me for that,
but that's just me.

-Taliesyn
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:06:05 PM

measekite wrote:

> Taliesyn wrote:
>

>> > Set it and forget it. You do not have to calculate page breaks and
>> > keep changing papers.
>>
>> "Calculate" what page breaks? What are you using, Gameboy? I use OEM
>> ;-) Windows software. The last page break I ever set was on some DOS
>> word processor for my Atari 1050st computer in the mid-80's - like 25
>> years ago. Get some new software.
>>

> Programming software does not allow for printing even [&] odd pages.

Obviously you've never been in an office or you would have known that
Odd/Even printing is a common feature of programs like Microsoft Word,
Adobe Reader, Serif PagePlus and Lotus WordPro, all of which I use
regularly. You only have to click on "Print" and read your menu choices.

-Taliesyn
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:51:09 PM

zakezuke wrote:

>>The "nice and spiffy" Odd & Even button is found in all if not most
>>word-processing/desktop publishing programs
>

> Oddly enough, I don't see it under Open Office 1.1.4, nor Notepad,
> Wordpad, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer.

The programs you mentioned are not wordprocessing or desktop publishing
programs that commonly deal with multi-page documents.

Adobe Reader, for example, is commonly used for reading program manuals
that are often in the hundreds of pages. Thus it has the one button
"Odd" or "Even" button. And naturally, Microsoft Word does too as it is
a document printer. I use the Desktop Publishing program Serif PagePlus
to make booklets sometimes hundreds of pages long. And of course, it too
has "odd/even".

Notepad and Wordpad are not even stand alone programs but programs
within programs meant basically for short text handing. And my Netscape
doesn't have it either. But then, none apparently do (it's not needed).
I don't print 20 page documents from a browser (unless maybe it's in
a printer friendly format). I download and edit within a wordprocessor
or desktop publisher.

-Taliesyn
But if i'm feeling too
> lazy to type in 1,3,5-1000 I can select duplex and unclick automatic on
> my ip3000 and the driver will prompt me to reinsert the paper.
>
> So as I said... even if you don't get the nice and spiffy odd and even
> buttons you can do it easily enough.

June 15, 2005 8:57:17 PM

> Stand alone, as in store bought?

No, stand alone accessory, works fine by it self. Same with Edit,
Paint, Kodak Imaging, and Hyper Terminal. I can for example take
notepad.exe and run it under wine on linux without a problem. It has
no dependencies, requires nothing else to operate other than the
windows enviroment. It's not associated with any particular program
nor is it a program with a program but rather a program onto it self
that is often spawned by other programs because it's almost always
installed. It's location is in the root of where ever windows is
installed. It can be picked independently when installing windows, or
not installed if you take the time to look for it. It is for all
intents and purposes a stand alone program and most importantly
Microsoft says them selves that notepad can be run as a stand alone
program. It is a simple 69,120 byte independent program.

What an odd point to argue.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:25:27 PM

Taliesyn wrote:
> Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
>> I've had no experience of any of the Pixmas, but I bought this to
>> replace a defunct SC900. The first thing I've noticed is that the
>> automatic duplex is glacially slow.
>>
>> Example: - a two-page Word document. Time to print first page: -
>> around 10 seconds. Time to draw paper back in, turn paper over,
>> prime heads and print second side: - 1 minute+.
>>
>> I've started using manual duplex as it cuts printing time by about
>> 75%. Is this normal? Should it be doing all this priming before printing
>> the second side?
>
> It's perfectly normal. That is, by design. Not by efficiency. I tried
> mine (iP5000) but don't use it as it's just too painfully slow, as you
> indicated, up to 75% longer than by feeding pages by hand. It's fine
> if you want to torture your machine while doing the laundry. ;-)
>
> -Taliesyn
>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Windows XP Pro SP2, printer hooked up directly to a Hi-Speed port. I
>> tried FireWire (800) didn't make any difference. Not that I'm
>> surprised, a printer isn't capable of utilising the full speed of
>> either.

I think this is only usefull if you need to print more pages in duplex, so
you hit print and go away for some time. And when you get back, your job is
done. But if you need it NOW, it's better to do manual duplex, sure.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:49:52 PM

zakezuke wrote:

>>Notepad and Wordpad are not even stand alone programs but programs
>>within programs meant basically for short text handing.
>

> Notepad is very much in common use as a stand alone program for editing
> ascii.

Stand alone, as in store bought?

-Taliesyn
June 15, 2005 11:42:18 PM

> Notepad is terrible for the purpose. For one thing you loose your color
> coded criteria. For another you loose all of your intellisense data.
> You also loose all of the advantages of the IDE and increase you chances
> 10 fold of creating errors.

Assuming you had intellisense data or color in the first place. There
are more things in heaven and earth and all that. Not every uses a
Visual(tm) compiler nor need to work in a special development
environment. Some people actually know how to write code. If I want
color I'd edit in vi, but I find working in vi to be a pain. I don't
claim to be a programer but never the less there are times that I need
to scan through large amounts of data... and for that hard copy in
Lucinda console or Courier is just great.

> >imagine others might want to shell out money for TSE (formatly Qedit)
> >which is also very useful in dealing with ascii documents.

> Another outdated outmoded program.

Outdated? I haven't checked it's unicode support so you could be
right. Outmoded by what? Find me another versatile intermediary
program that allows large amounts of data to be converted. Excel works
most of the time, but excel has it's limitations. TSE -> excel (if
need be)-> portable data.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 12:29:00 AM

Taliesyn wrote:

> measekite wrote:

>>> "Calculate" what page breaks? What are you using, Gameboy? I use OEM
>>> ;-) Windows software. The last page break I ever set was on some DOS
>>> word processor for my Atari 1050st computer in the mid-80's - like 25
>>> years ago. Get some new software.
>>>

>> Programming software does not allow for printing even [&] odd pages.
>

> Obviously you've never been in an office or you would have known that
> Odd/Even printing is a common feature of programs like Microsoft Word,
> Adobe Reader, Serif PagePlus and Lotus WordPro, all of which I use
> regularly. You only have to click on "Print" and read your menu choices.
>
> -Taliesyn

Hey shmuck! Since when is MS Word a programming language.
June 16, 2005 12:29:01 AM

measekite wrote:

> Hey shmuck! Since when is MS Word a programming language.

Idiot...nobody ever said Word was a programing language.
Frank
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 12:29:02 AM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Hey shmuck! Since when is MS Word a programming language.
>

> Idiot...nobody ever said Word was a programing language.
> Frank

Frank, he's obviously tried without luck to program his Game
Boy to print odd and even pages. Who are we to interfere.

-Taliesyn
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 12:32:16 AM

zakezuke wrote:

>>The "nice and spiffy" Odd & Even button is found in all if not most
>>word-processing/desktop publishing programs
>>

>Oddly enough, I don't see it under Open Office 1.1.4, nor Notepad,
>Wordpad, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer. But if i'm feeling too
>lazy to type in 1,3,5-1000 I can select duplex and unclick automatic on
>my ip3000 and the driver will prompt me to reinsert the paper.

Oh Yeh, for a 50 page document how many reinserts do you make?

>So as I said... even if you don't get the nice and spiffy odd and even
>buttons you can do it easily enough.

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 12:32:17 AM

measekite wrote:

> zakezuke wrote:
>
>>> The "nice and spiffy" Odd & Even button is found in all if not most
>>> word-processing/desktop publishing programs
>>>

>> Oddly enough, I don't see it under Open Office 1.1.4, nor Notepad,
>> Wordpad, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer. But if i'm feeling too
>> lazy to type in 1,3,5-1000 I can select duplex and unclick automatic on
>> my ip3000 and the driver will prompt me to reinsert the paper.
>>

> Oh Yeh, for a 50 page document how many reinserts do you make?

Obviously you haven't stepped one foot in a real office or you would
know the answer.

Print all 50 pages one side, turn over the WHOLE PACK OF 50 and print
the other side.

-Taliesyn

>> So as I said... even if you don't get the nice and spiffy odd and even
>> buttons you can do it easily enough.

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:11:07 AM

zakezuke wrote:
>> Programming sotware does not allow for printing even odd pages.
>
> Print
> (*)pages [ 1,3,5-1000]

That would be:
(*)pages [ 1,3,5-999]

or

(*)pages [ 1,3,5-1001]

right?

> Print
> (*)pages [2,4,6-1000]
>
> Even if you don't get the nice and spiffy odd and even button in your
> print window you can manualy duplex in this way. Not so good for
> printers that leave copy print side down, but great for budget
> printers that leave copy print side up. But in the case you have
> the former...
>
> Print
> (*)pages [768, 766, 764-2]
> (*)pages [767, 765, 763-1]
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:49:38 AM

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message

> Hey shmuck! Since when is MS Word a programming language.

Probably around the time it had Visual Basic for Applications embedded
inside it.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:59:07 AM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Hey shmuck! Since when is MS Word a programming language.
>

> Idiot...
> Frank

:-D :-D :-D Yes you are
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:49:56 AM

zakezuke wrote:

>>Notepad and Wordpad are not even stand alone programs but programs
>>within programs meant basically for short text handing.
>>

>Notepad is very much in common use as a stand alone program for editing
>ascii. In fact in win2k and winxp they updated it and added search and
>replace, rather than prior versions that were limited to only search.
>
>To each their own. The parent to this sub thread was talking about
>programing languages, and notepad does a very fine job of taking a
>large amount of code and printing it without any mucking around.

Notepad is terrible for the purpose. For one thing you loose your color
coded criteria. For another you loose all of your intellisense data.
You also loose all of the advantages of the IDE and increase you chances
10 fold of creating errors.

>imagine others might want to shell out money for TSE (formatly Qedit)
>which is also very useful in dealing with ascii documents.

Another outdated outmoded program.

>Needless
>to say hardcopy is very useful in debugging, and double sided printing
>if nothing else saves paper and space on the shelf.
>
>Wordpad is as you said mostly for short text handeling. For those
>without Word it's useful for printing off documentation that comes with
>software, which is often a sheet or two. Also it deals with RTF well
>enough when again double sided can be useful for printing off
>documentation.
>

>>I don't print 20 page documents from a browser (unless maybe it's in
>>a printer friendly format). I download and edit within a wordprocessor
>>or desktop publisher.
>>

>I use Yahoo maps and directions alot. Draft mode page one and draft
>mode page two. Very handy. I imagine I could edit the page in
>anything that supports HTML, but i'm lazy.
>
>I'm not complaining about the lack of manual duplex support in some
>applications, except Open Office that should have it. For the most
>part I don't care all that much. I was only pointing out that you can
>do manual duplexing even if it's not an option on your print window.

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:53:49 AM

I am talking about professional programming languages that can create
multi tier client server applications. VBMSA is just a complex
replacement for macros. I did not say it is easy just like VBA for MS
Access is not easy. At least you can create complex applications is you
use the actual language and not marcros etc but you still have limits on
the number of records before it slows down.

Anna Daptor wrote:

>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>

>>Hey shmuck! Since when is MS Word a programming language.
>>

>Probably around the time it had Visual Basic for Applications embedded
>inside it.

June 16, 2005 3:53:50 AM

measekite wrote:
> I am talking about professional programming languages that can create
> multi tier client server applications. VBMSA is just a complex
> replacement for macros. I did not say it is easy just like VBA for MS
> Access is not easy. At least you can create complex applications is you
> use the actual language and not marcros etc but you still have limits on
> the number of records before it slows down.
>
> Anna Daptor wrote:
>
>> "measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> Hey shmuck! Since when is MS Word a programming language.
>>>

>> Probably around the time it had Visual Basic for Applications embedded
>> inside it.

Careful mesershit, you're about to trip yourself up again over your own
bullshit.
Frank
June 16, 2005 4:42:11 AM

One
But for 500 sheets it would be one.
You can extrapolate from there!
Tony

measekite <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:
>zakezuke wrote:
>
>>>The "nice and spiffy" Odd & Even button is found in all if not most
>>>word-processing/desktop publishing programs
>>>

>>Oddly enough, I don't see it under Open Office 1.1.4, nor Notepad,
>>Wordpad, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer. But if i'm feeling too
>>lazy to type in 1,3,5-1000 I can select duplex and unclick automatic on
>>my ip3000 and the driver will prompt me to reinsert the paper.
>>

>Oh Yeh, for a 50 page document how many reinserts do you make?
>
>>So as I said... even if you don't get the nice and spiffy odd and even
>>buttons you can do it easily enough.

June 16, 2005 4:43:50 AM

> >Assuming you had intellisense data or color in the first place. There
> >are more things in heaven and earth and all that. Not every uses a
> >Visual(tm) compiler nor need to work in a special development
> >environment.

> Then there are not professional programmers

Syntax error - Do you mean they are not professional programmers.

What? Professional programmers can't operate outside of a visual
structured environment?

> vi is a piece of garbage

If you say so. I guess you are an Emacs fan! Or wait, ascii editing
has been outmoted to something else... wigi boards perhaps it is. What
do you tell me what you do to create and edit scripts? Html? Python
or Perl?

>>I don't
>>claim to be a programer

>I got it.

You don't strike me as being much of a programmer either, given you
spell the word correctly. Oh that's right you use "professional
programming languages that can create multi tier client server
applications" but can't figure out how to manualy duplex when trying to
print their own code. I know you lot. Your the the people who listen
to Metalica full blast on your headphones while creating a database all
while while speaking in the latest buzz words and newest acronyms,
drinking the jolt cola, all the while turning everything upside down to
adapt to the latest and greatest interface in blissfull ignornace of
the people who actually use it with no regard to whether it works or
not. Your the lot who say "we use professional programming languages
that create multi-tier client server applications" because it sounds so
much more cool than "we're the bloke who show you how many widgets you
got". Your the bloke who said when terminal server was outmoted switch
to client server and switched everyone to freaking ms access scratching
your bum saying, "I don't know why it's so slow client server is the
way to go". The bloke who have no regard to the basic elements of
technology, no focus, no basic fundamentals what so ever.

You are sir, with all due respect a widget bloke! Unless i'm giving
you undue credit.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 6:03:46 AM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> I am talking about professional programming languages that can create
>> multi tier client server applications. VBMSA is just a complex
>> replacement for macros. I did not say it is easy just like VBA for
>> MS Access is not easy. At least you can create complex applications
>> is you use the actual language and not marcros etc but you still have
>> limits on the number of records before it slows down.
>>
>> Anna Daptor wrote:
>>
>>> "measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message

>>> Probably around the time it had Visual Basic for Applications
>>> embedded inside it.
>>>

> Careful mesershit, you're about to trip yourself up again over your
> own bullshit.
> Frank the Cockroach
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 9:17:00 AM

zakezuke wrote:

>>Notepad is terrible for the purpose. For one thing you loose your color
>>coded criteria. For another you loose all of your intellisense data.
>>You also loose all of the advantages of the IDE and increase you chances
>>10 fold of creating errors.
>>

>Assuming you had intellisense data or color in the first place. There
>are more things in heaven and earth and all that. Not every uses a
>Visual(tm) compiler nor need to work in a special development
>environment.

Then there are not professional programmers

> Some people actually know how to write code. If I want
>color I'd edit in vi, but I find working in vi to be a pain.

vi is a piece of garbage

>I don't
>claim to be a programer

I got it.

>but never the less there are times that I need
>to scan through large amounts of data... and for that hard copy in
>Lucinda console or Courier is just great.

>>>imagine others might want to shell out money for TSE (formatly Qedit)
>>>which is also very useful in dealing with ascii documents.
>>>

>>Another outdated outmoded program.
>>

>Outdated? I haven't checked it's unicode support so you could be
>right. Outmoded by what? Find me another versatile intermediary
>program that allows large amounts of data to be converted. Excel works
>most of the time, but excel has it's limitations. TSE -> excel (if
>need be)-> portable data.

June 16, 2005 3:55:36 PM

In message <rLXre.12709$F6.2727780@news.siol.net>, SleeperMan
<SleeperMan@too.sleepy> writes
>I think this is only usefull if you need to print more pages in duplex, so
>you hit print and go away for some time. And when you get back, your job is
>done. But if you need it NOW, it's better to do manual duplex, sure.

I never trust a printer to do that - it know that you have left and will
do something wrong, either it will jam on the first page after you leave
the room, so when you come back an hour later expecting it all to be
finished it will be in the same position as when you started - or it
will have some processing glitch and start printing rubbish as soon as
you leave the room so when you come back its used all the paper and its
all wrong.

--
Timothy
June 16, 2005 4:02:32 PM

In message <1118867036.973663.141050@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
zakezuke <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> writes
>> The "nice and spiffy" Odd & Even button is found in all if not most
>> word-processing/desktop publishing programs
>
>Oddly enough, I don't see it under Open Office 1.1.4, nor Notepad,
>Wordpad, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer. But if i'm feeling too
>lazy to type in 1,3,5-1000 I can select duplex and unclick automatic on
>my ip3000 and the driver will prompt me to reinsert the paper.

In openoffice if you go to options on the print dialogue you get the
options for left and right pages, which I think will do the same thing.

--
Timothy
June 16, 2005 4:17:41 PM

> They shouldn't. It is not costs effective.

Don't you mean, "It is not costs effective multi tier client server
applications".

This is what I'm not understanding. You come in here and say,
"Programming sotware does not allow for printing even odd pages." No
one understand the your statement at all cause frankly use of the
intransitive verb makes your statement ambiguous at best, which is
rather why use of the noun 'development' (e.g. development software) is
prefered to 'programing' to alleviate any ambiguity between the
product and using the product. But rather can accepting the fact that
your statement was vague at best (e.g. Making software doesn't allow
for printing even odd pages.) you use it as a vehicle to flame people
who don't know what you are talking about. And they don't. Why should
they? The sentance was incoherent.

I on the other hand, after looking at your statement upside down
finally understood you were talking about printing code. Knowing that
editors which are often nothing more than glorified text editors spoke
of notepad, what is still a common tool to edit simple code, and hell
even old dos edit which is still included win winxp pro is used. Again
you used this as a a vehicle to go into pejorative mode. Did I know
what you were talking about? No, you were hardly specific, and no
"programing software" is hardly specific. Then you shift into 5th gear
and go esoteric never at all saying what development software you are
using let alone which language only, "professional programming
languages that create multi-tier client server applications." This
could be Visual Basic. Hell could be "Visual Turbo Logo for the
Enterprise." Which leads to some glorified statement that
professionals use specialized development enviroments rather than just
sitting down and actually writing code, and how anything other than a
spiffy development enviroment isn't cost effective. Isn't cost
effective for what?

You're talking in acronyms, pronouns, meaningless buzz words, without a
hint or glimmer of an actual product you are using that you say can't
print on both sides of the paper. You're talking all theory and no
actual application. You're talking in a way that might impress HR lack
any substance what so ever.

So let me put it in very simple terms.

What software product, the actual product name, that you are using that
won't allow you to print odd and even. No dyslogism, just a simple I
use (this) product.
June 16, 2005 6:13:30 PM

> And you'd know? I thought you were a Visual Basic programmer?

Good gawd you're right!

Everything on this earth has been outmoded by Visual Basic. And I
didn't get the memo?!? I'll have someone's head. Anything just isn't
cost effective. LOL!

And I get a speech about development enviroments and multi tier design
from a damned Visual Basic scripter?!? I feel deep shame!

LOL!

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.periphs.printe...
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 8:22:07 PM

zakezuke wrote:

>>>Assuming you had intellisense data or color in the first place. There
>>>are more things in heaven and earth and all that. Not every uses a
>>>Visual(tm) compiler nor need to work in a special development
>>>environment.
>>>

>>Then there are not professional programmers
>>

>Syntax error - Do you mean they are not professional programmers.
>
>What? Professional programmers can't operate outside of a visual
>structured environment?

They shouldn't. It is not costs effective.

>>vi is a piece of garbage
>>

>If you say so. I guess you are an Emacs fan! Or wait, ascii editing
>has been outmoted to something else... wigi boards perhaps it is. What
>do you tell me what you do to create and edit scripts? Html? Python
>or Perl?
>

>>>I don't
>>>claim to be a programer
>>>

>>I got it.
>>

>You don't strike me as being much of a programmer either, given you
>spell the word correctly. Oh that's right you use "professional
>programming languages that can create multi tier client server
>applications" but can't figure out how to manualy duplex when trying to
>print their own code. I know you lot. Your the the people who listen
>to Metalica full blast on your headphones while creating a database all
>while while speaking in the latest buzz words and newest acronyms,
>drinking the jolt cola, all the while turning everything upside down to
>adapt to the latest and greatest interface in blissfull ignornace of
>the people who actually use it with no regard to whether it works or
>not. Your the lot who say "we use professional programming languages
>that create multi-tier client server applications" because it sounds so
>much more cool than "we're the bloke who show you how many widgets you
>got". Your the bloke who said when terminal server was outmoted switch
>to client server and switched everyone to freaking ms access scratching
>your bum saying, "I don't know why it's so slow client server is the
>way to go". The bloke who have no regard to the basic elements of
>technology, no focus, no basic fundamentals what so ever.
>
>You are sir, with all due respect a widget bloke! Unless i'm giving
>you undue credit.

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 8:32:22 PM

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
news:p Ghse.2672$NU5.761@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...

>>>Then there are not professional programmers

And you'd know? I thought you were a Visual Basic programmer?
June 16, 2005 8:32:23 PM

Anna Daptor wrote:

> "measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
> news:p Ghse.2672$NU5.761@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...

> And you'd know? I thought you were a Visual Basic programmer?

Mesershit is a programmer?
Not!
He's an idiot not a programmer. He's a wannabe everything but is really
a big nothing.
Hell he's still trying to figure out how to manually print duplex...give
me break!
Frank
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:49:25 AM

me@privacy.net wrote:
> In message <rLXre.12709$F6.2727780@news.siol.net>, SleeperMan
> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> writes
>> I think this is only usefull if you need to print more pages in
>> duplex, so you hit print and go away for some time. And when you get
>> back, your job is done. But if you need it NOW, it's better to do
>> manual duplex, sure.
>
> I never trust a printer to do that - it know that you have left and
> will do something wrong, either it will jam on the first page after
> you leave the room, so when you come back an hour later expecting it
> all to be finished it will be in the same position as when you
> started - or it will have some processing glitch and start printing
> rubbish as soon as you leave the room so when you come back its used
> all the paper and its all wrong.

True. Well ,at least you can do other stuf on a PC while printing...
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:49:26 AM

I do not have any of those problems with either my Canon or HP.

SleeperMan wrote:

>me@privacy.net wrote:
>

>>In message <rLXre.12709$F6.2727780@news.siol.net>, SleeperMan
>><SleeperMan@too.sleepy> writes
>>

>>>I think this is only usefull if you need to print more pages in
>>>duplex, so you hit print and go away for some time. And when you get
>>>back, your job is done. But if you need it NOW, it's better to do
>>>manual duplex, sure.
>>>

>>I never trust a printer to do that - it know that you have left and
>>will do something wrong, either it will jam on the first page after
>>you leave the room, so when you come back an hour later expecting it
>>all to be finished it will be in the same position as when you
>>started - or it will have some processing glitch and start printing
>>rubbish as soon as you leave the room so when you come back its used
>>all the paper and its all wrong.
>>

>True. Well ,at least you can do other stuf on a PC while printing...

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:49:48 AM

zakezuke wrote:
>> That would be:
>> (*)pages [ 1,3,5-999]
>>
>> or
>>
>> (*)pages [ 1,3,5-1001]
>
> Sure if your paper feed has that many, or if your ink would last that
> long. You should be able to pick an arbitararly high number that is
> higher than what you plan to print saving you from actually counting
> how many pages the end result will be. You could use 888 or 999 if
> you're worried about it.
>
> In my case I got in the habbit of typing in 1000 as each paper
> cassette would hold 500p on my old panasonic 4450i.

:-))
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 2:02:48 AM

measekite wrote:
> I do not have any of those problems with either my Canon or HP.

well, to be honest, me neither, since i don't print duplex...

!