Help needed: Recording fails, from nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 ..

Archived from groups: alt.video.vcr,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

Help needed: Recording fails, from nVidea GeForce4 Ti4200 card S-Video port to
Panasonic consumer VCR

Have nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X cards in several PCs, and they all do the same
thing. I've configured them to 'clone' the video out to both the VGA and the
S-Video port.

When I connect by S-video cable to a Panasonic VCR, the VCR's monitor (and also
a video projector) show the signal from the PC when idle or recording. However,
when a recording from the video card is played back, the VCR blanks, with
nothing seen or heard. Doesn't matter what I'm recording; even a static Windows
desktop does the same thing.

Stepping down from 1024x768 to 800-x600 and 640x480 does not fix the problem.
The video card, BTW, is set to 60Hz, and provides both DVI-I and VGA as well as
S-Video outputs. The DVI-I is not connected, and disconnecting the VGA does not
solve the problem.

I believe the sync of the video signal from the nVidia card is not quite good
enough for our consumer VCRs. Is there a program which adjusts the sync or
otherwises fixzes the signal so a consumer grade VCR can record it?

This is intended to record an IE-delivered WebEx <www.webex.com> net
videoconference feed Thursday AM from DC. I have not been able to find a
streaming video recorder I could use to capture the content, but that would be a
good alternative, if such a thing exists for a 2.4GHz Windows 2000 PC.

So:

1. Can I fix up the video card with software so it delivers video good enough to
record and play back without blanking? Yes, it won't be as sharp as a PC
monitor, but we can live with that.

2. Is there a streaming video recorder app I can run on Win2k (or XP, if we have
to) to record the WebEx content, audio and video, to HD? Since WebEx has their
own (spendy, of course) proprietary recording system which locks you into their
proprietary player, I sure would like to find a standards-based alternative.

My deadline to make this all work is Thursday 0930 PT, which does not give me
much time for finding hardware.

Thank you kindly, all, for your assistance with this last minute burden.

--
John Bartley K7AAY USBC/DO PDX OR USA
"This is a carburetor," Hank tells his son. "Take it apart, put it back together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH

    Wrong. In order to record video you need a video capture card. The 4200Ti
    does not have this feature.

    --
    DaveW

    "John Bartley K7AAY telcom admin, Portland OR" <johnbartley@email.com> wrote
    in message news:43027b5c.336129656@coronis.nyed.circ2.dcn...
    > Help needed: Recording fails, from nVidea GeForce4 Ti4200 card S-Video
    > port to
    > Panasonic consumer VCR
    >
    > Have nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X cards in several PCs, and they all do
    > the same
    > thing. I've configured them to 'clone' the video out to both the VGA and
    > the
    > S-Video port.
    >
    > When I connect by S-video cable to a Panasonic VCR, the VCR's monitor (and
    > also
    > a video projector) show the signal from the PC when idle or recording.
    > However,
    > when a recording from the video card is played back, the VCR blanks, with
    > nothing seen or heard. Doesn't matter what I'm recording; even a static
    > Windows
    > desktop does the same thing.
    >
    > Stepping down from 1024x768 to 800-x600 and 640x480 does not fix the
    > problem.
    > The video card, BTW, is set to 60Hz, and provides both DVI-I and VGA as
    > well as
    > S-Video outputs. The DVI-I is not connected, and disconnecting the VGA
    > does not
    > solve the problem.
    >
    > I believe the sync of the video signal from the nVidia card is not quite
    > good
    > enough for our consumer VCRs. Is there a program which adjusts the sync or
    > otherwises fixzes the signal so a consumer grade VCR can record it?
    >
    > This is intended to record an IE-delivered WebEx <www.webex.com> net
    > videoconference feed Thursday AM from DC. I have not been able to find a
    > streaming video recorder I could use to capture the content, but that
    > would be a
    > good alternative, if such a thing exists for a 2.4GHz Windows 2000 PC.
    >
    > So:
    >
    > 1. Can I fix up the video card with software so it delivers video good
    > enough to
    > record and play back without blanking? Yes, it won't be as sharp as a PC
    > monitor, but we can live with that.
    >
    > 2. Is there a streaming video recorder app I can run on Win2k (or XP, if
    > we have
    > to) to record the WebEx content, audio and video, to HD? Since WebEx has
    > their
    > own (spendy, of course) proprietary recording system which locks you into
    > their
    > proprietary player, I sure would like to find a standards-based
    > alternative.
    >
    > My deadline to make this all work is Thursday 0930 PT, which does not give
    > me
    > much time for finding hardware.
    >
    > Thank you kindly, all, for your assistance with this last minute burden.
    >

    > --
    > John Bartley K7AAY USBC/DO PDX OR USA
    > "This is a carburetor," Hank tells his son. "Take it apart, put it back
    > together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.vcr,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:50:51 -0700, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

    >Wrong. In order to record video you need a video capture card. The 4200Ti
    >does not have this feature.

    Thank you.

    Recommendations for cards which will get the done would be appreciated.

    If you can, please provide examples in categories:
    1 cheap
    2 better and
    3 sky's-the-limit budgets.

    And, again, thank you.

    --
    John Bartley K7AAY USBC/DO PDX OR USA
    "This is a carburetor," Hank tells his son. "Take it apart, put it back together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.vcr,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK.
> [...]
    >
    > 2. Is there a streaming video recorder app I can run on Win2k (or XP, if
    we have
    > to) to record the WebEx content, audio and video, to HD? Since WebEx has
    their
    > own (spendy, of course) proprietary recording system which locks you into
    their
    > proprietary player, I sure would like to find a standards-based
    alternative.

    > My deadline to make this all work is Thursday 0930 PT, which does not give
    me
    > much time for finding hardware.
    >
    > Thank you kindly, all, for your assistance with this last minute burden.
    >

    > --
    > John Bartley K7AAY USBC/DO PDX OR USA
    > "This is a carburetor," Hank tells his son. "Take it apart, put it back
    together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.vcr,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    'DaveW' wrote:
    | Wrong. In order to record video you need a video capture card. The
    4200Ti
    | does not have this feature.
    _____
    Your 'Wrong' is wrong.

    To record TO a computer FROM a video source some type of capture
    device/software is needed. That is NOT what the original poster asks about.
    The question is how to record the output of a computer system TO a VCR.
    That is an entirely different function.

    Phil Weldon

> [...]
    >> monitor, but we can live with that.
    >>
    >> 2. Is there a streaming video recorder app I can run on Win2k (or XP, if
    >> we have
    >> to) to record the WebEx content, audio and video, to HD? Since WebEx has
    >> their
    >> own (spendy, of course) proprietary recording system which locks you into
    >> their
    >> proprietary player, I sure would like to find a standards-based
    >> alternative.
    >>
    >> My deadline to make this all work is Thursday 0930 PT, which does not
    >> give me
    >> much time for finding hardware.
    >>
    >> Thank you kindly, all, for your assistance with this last minute burden.
    >>

    >> --
    >> John Bartley K7AAY USBC/DO PDX OR USA
    >> "This is a carburetor," Hank tells his son. "Take it apart, put it back
    >> together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH

  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.vcr,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    Try for more advice, as 'DaveW' has it wrong. A video CAPTURE card has
    nothing to do with your task, what you need (as you indicate) is a card with
    a standard signal that matches your VCR (NTSC most likely.) If everything
    is working, a VCR should record properly with a signal that a modern TV
    monitor displays properly.

    The S-Video output, IF it is an output, and IF it is configured for the same
    standard as your VCR (NTSC for NTSC, PAL for PAL), then the recording should
    work. Check the Ti 4200 specifications and check the cables; also check the
    VCR with a known good S-Video signal.

    First step, read the Ti 4200 manual carefully, then try the manufacturer's
    website.

    Phil Weldon

    "John Bartley K7AAY telcom admin, Portland OR" <johnbartley@email.com> wrote
    in message news:4303d808.27375984@coronis.nyed.circ2.dcn...
    > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:50:51 -0700, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Wrong. In order to record video you need a video capture card. The
    >>4200Ti
    >>does not have this feature.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Recommendations for cards which will get the done would be appreciated.
    >
    > If you can, please provide examples in categories:
    > 1 cheap
    > 2 better and
    > 3 sky's-the-limit budgets.
    >
    > And, again, thank you.
    >
    > --
    > John Bartley K7AAY USBC/DO PDX OR USA
    > "This is a carburetor," Hank tells his son. "Take it apart, put it back
    > together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.vcr,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:27:23 GMT, "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:

    >Try for more advice, as 'DaveW' has it wrong. A video CAPTURE card has
    >nothing to do with your task, what you need (as you indicate) is a card with
    >a standard signal that matches your VCR (NTSC most likely.) If everything
    >is working, a VCR should record properly with a signal that a modern TV
    >monitor displays properly.
    >
    >The S-Video output, IF it is an output, and IF it is configured for the same
    >standard as your VCR (NTSC for NTSC, PAL for PAL), then the recording should
    >work.

    Unless the card manufacturer has imposed Macrovision or some other DRM/copy
    protection scheme.
    <snip>

    --
    John Bartley K7AAY USBC/DO PDX OR USA
    "This is a carburetor," Hank tells his son. "Take it apart, put it back together; repeat until you're normal." - KOTH

LAN Video Nvidia Networking