First Time ground Up Build

Anvel

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
OK I am going for a complete ground up build. I am working with about two thousand. I need every component as I am now using a 2003 Compaq Laptop with a Athlon 2400+ and its really not doing what I want it to do anymore. I will mostly be using this computer to play games and do some video editing. I' am looking for some serious performance for the price and I dont mind spending a little more for big gains. I want it to last at least threw through the second generation of DX10 cards since they will be the first ones to support Unified shaders which i know is the real performance increase of DX10 over 9. This is what I have so far. Please comment on anything you see Im really looking for a solid build that will last for some time. Also wanna be able to do some mild overclocking.

Case: Thermaltake Tsunami Dream; wanna good full tower with excellent air flow.

PSU: Linkworld LPG2-43-P4-IO ATX12V 630W ; only 27.99 kinda worried about the price maybe should step up to a more expensive one?

Processor: C2D E6600 ; wanna overclock to E6800 level.

Motherboard; ?????

RAM: I know nothing about ram I'm thinking 2gbs of 800should be enough but as far as brand and model I am clueless. Be able to handle slight overclock is necessary.

GPU: 1900XT; overclock to XTX level

Sound Card: X-FI extreme Music

HDD: 2 74gb raptors; Raid 0

I kinda feel like im skimping on some parts and maybe over spending in others I really want some good performance numbers but I dont wanna spend more than I have to any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Neofight

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
OK I am going for a complete ground up build. I am working with about two thousand. I need every component as I am now using a 2003 Compaq Laptop with a Athlon 2400+ and its really not doing what I want it to do anymore. I will mostly be using this computer to play games and do some video editing. I' am looking for some serious performance for the price and I dont mind spending a little more for big gains. I want it to last at least threw through the second generation of DX10 cards since they will be the first ones to support Unified shaders which i know is the real performance increase of DX10 over 9. This is what I have so far. Please comment on anything you see Im really looking for a solid build that will last for some time. Also wanna be able to do some mild overclocking.

Case: Thermaltake Tsunami Dream; wanna good full tower with excellent air flow.

PSU: Linkworld LPG2-43-P4-IO ATX12V 630W ; only 27.99 kinda worried about the price maybe should step up to a more expensive one?

Processor: C2D E6600 ; wanna overclock to E6800 level.

Motherboard; ?????

RAM: I know nothing about ram I'm thinking 2gbs of 800should be enough but as far as brand and model I am clueless. Be able to handle slight overclock is necessary.

GPU: 1900XT; overclock to XTX level

Sound Card: X-FI extreme Music

HDD: 2 74gb raptors; Raid 0

I kinda feel like im skimping on some parts and maybe over spending in others I really want some good performance numbers but I dont wanna spend more than I have to any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Under no circumstances should you get that PSU. Stick with a solid name bradnd like PC Power and Coooling, Antec, Fortron Source, Enermax or several others. Probably want minimum 500 watts based on your desire to future proof somewhat.

What seems odd about that PSU to you? O right..... it's the whole... 630W of crap for $28.

Swap it for an Antec Truepower 550W

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, Abit AB9 Pro, or Asus P5B

RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800 <--- This set with 4-4-4-12 timings should allow for a pretty good OC'ing.

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon X1900XT

Sound Card: If you're not an audiophile, don't bother with the sound card. It only takes approximately 1-2% load off the CPU.

Hard Drives: Don't bother with the Raptors. You can get the same performance from a couple of Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 drives as a single Raptor. If you want the same performance as 2 Raptors, grab 4 of those Seagate's. You'll still end up saving money. I'm pretty sure video encoding (not specificly editing, but the actual encoding process) is more reliant on data throughput, and not seek times. The Seagate's throughput is vastly superior to that of a Raptor. Your other option would be to grab a single Raptor, and then pick up 1 (or 2, or even 3) of those Seagate's. If I am wrong about encoding relying more on throughput than seek times, you can encode the video's to the Raptor, then move the video over to the Seagate.