Slow logon for new dell workstation

Joe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

I have a windows 2000 server with 3 workstations allready joined to the
domain. We have a new dell workstation with XP pro on it. I created the
computer account in AD on the server and then tryed joining the machine to
the domain. The workstation is very very slow to log onto the PDC. We only
have one server. What should you reccommend I look at to resolve this
problem. The workstation behaves the same way for all of the user profiles I
have tried logging on with. Thank you in advance.
Joe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

Make sure the new workstations are ONLY pointing to your server for DNS.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Joe" <jbcandullo(nospam)@mmadisonservices.com> wrote in message
>I have a windows 2000 server with 3 workstations allready joined to the
>domain. We have a new dell workstation with XP pro on it. I created the
>computer account in AD on the server and then tryed joining the machine to
>the domain. The workstation is very very slow to log onto the PDC. We only
>have one server. What should you reccommend I look at to resolve this
>problem. The workstation behaves the same way for all of the user profiles
>I have tried logging on with. Thank you in advance.
> Joe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

"Joe" <jbcandullo(nospam)@mmadisonservices.com> wrote in message
>I have a windows 2000 server with 3 workstations allready joined to the
>domain. We have a new dell workstation with XP pro on it. I created the
>computer account in AD on the server and then tryed joining the machine to
>the domain. The workstation is very very slow to log onto the PDC. We only
>have one server. What should you reccommend I look at to resolve this
>problem. The workstation behaves the same way for all of the user profiles
>I have tried logging on with. Thank you in advance.
> Joe

Joe,

I can't tell you specifically where to look, but we had a very similar
problem a few months ago with XP and Windows 2003 server. That turned out to
be DNS related, so Matt's posting is almost certainly right or very close.

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

Hi,

You should probably test the speed of interaction BEFORE joining to the
domain. e.g. log onto the client as Administrator, ping the server IP,
how fast is it? Then type nslookup, does the prompt instantly appear
with no errors? If you get errors, check the DNS. If you get fast ping
and fast nslookup, try NET USE and map to a share on the server (supply
the username and password of the server's Administrator account).
Transfer some big files - how fast is it?

If all this works correctly, you need to then join to the domain and
look into the NETLOGON service and any associated errors.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)