Proxy Authentication

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.developer,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Hi

I am an IT Administrator who is having a problem with a Cyber Cafe we
have setup. We have 6 PC's in a Workgroup who connect to the Internet
through a Domain Proxy Server using a Standard External Web access
Domain A/c. Now this A/c has an Account Lockout Threshold of 3 which is
controlled at Domain Level and cannot be changed. The problem is that
because the PC's are not actually on the domain the Proxy requires
authentication every time IE is started. As you can imagine user error
results in this A/c being locked out on the domain almost every day.
Now the Web Admin guys dont want the PC's on the domain and they are
reluctant to chnage any configuration on the Proxy Server. Is there any
way of resolving this issue on the local machine . Im thinking maybe we
could tell Internet Explorer what Username and password to use without
having the user's input. This way the A/c would never lockout due to
user error. Can you Help???

Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.developer,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Your IT guys are correct. You are stuck with it.

It is a "bad design" to run a Cyber Cafe this way. You can't blend domain
Technology and Cyber Cafe technology this way. That is why Cyber Cafe's
have their own class of operating software,...it takes specialized software
to run these things.

Do a Google search for "Internet Cafe Software" or "Cyber Cafe Software"
and you will find a lot of those types of products.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

<d_mc_alister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am an IT Administrator who is having a problem with a Cyber Cafe we
> have setup. We have 6 PC's in a Workgroup who connect to the Internet
> through a Domain Proxy Server using a Standard External Web access
> Domain A/c. Now this A/c has an Account Lockout Threshold of 3 which is
> controlled at Domain Level and cannot be changed. The problem is that
> because the PC's are not actually on the domain the Proxy requires
> authentication every time IE is started. As you can imagine user error
> results in this A/c being locked out on the domain almost every day.
> Now the Web Admin guys dont want the PC's on the domain and they are
> reluctant to chnage any configuration on the Proxy Server. Is there any
> way of resolving this issue on the local machine . Im thinking maybe we
> could tell Internet Explorer what Username and password to use without
> having the user's input. This way the A/c would never lockout due to
> user error. Can you Help???
>
> Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.developer,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

d_mc_alister@hotmail.com wrote:

> I am an IT Administrator who is having a problem with a Cyber Cafe we
> have setup. We have 6 PC's in a Workgroup who connect to the Internet
> through a Domain Proxy Server using a Standard External Web access
> Domain A/c. Now this A/c has an Account Lockout Threshold of 3 which is
> controlled at Domain Level and cannot be changed. The problem is that
> because the PC's are not actually on the domain the Proxy requires
> authentication every time IE is started. As you can imagine user error
> results in this A/c being locked out on the domain almost every day.
> Now the Web Admin guys dont want the PC's on the domain and they are
> reluctant to chnage any configuration on the Proxy Server. Is there any
> way of resolving this issue on the local machine . Im thinking maybe we
> could tell Internet Explorer what Username and password to use without
> having the user's input. This way the A/c would never lockout due to
> user error. Can you Help???

Install your own proxy (and firewall) at the site, and use the the
Domain proxy server as the upstream provider.

--
Chris Salter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.developer,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Hi Chris

Unfortunately this would not be a viable option as our Network
Administrator guys will not allow seperate proxy / firewall
installations at our site. What Im looking for is something simple like
for example creating a batch file or script which can be run once to
setup the username and password for proxy authentication rather than
the user having to input it every time a new IE session is started. or
maybe there is some setting within IE itself which allows you to
specify a user account to always use when authenticating to a proxy. Is
there maybe a security setting in Group policy.

Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.developer,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Chris

This wont work because the PC's are in a Workgroup and the Proxy is in
a Domain so it wont recognise the Local PC Account. The only way this
would work is if we signed onto the Domain but our Admin guys want
these PC's off the Doamin. I need to be able to configure IE to provide
the Proxy with a username, password and Domain each time the Domain
Proxy requests it without the user having to input it all the time. Its
the user intervention which causes the problem.

Cheers

> This wont work because the PC's are in a Workgroup and the Proxy is in
> a Domain so it wont recognise the Local PC Account. The only way this
> would work is if we signed onto the Domain but our Admin guys want
> these PC's off the Doamin. I need to be able to configure IE to provide
> the Proxy with a username, password and Domain each time the Domain
> Proxy requests it without the user having to input it all the time. Its
> the user intervention which causes the problem.

Have you noticed a pattern here that everything suggested doesn't work? Did
you see my post at the beginning? You are trying to run the wrong things in
the wrong kind of environment. You said you were running a Cyber
Cafe,...therefore you need to run the right kind of networking system
software for that type of environment. That is why they make special "Cyber
Cafe" software to handle that type of thing.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.developer,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

d_mc_alister@hotmail.com wrote:

> Unfortunately this would not be a viable option as our Network
> Administrator guys will not allow seperate proxy / firewall
> installations at our site. What Im looking for is something simple like
> for example creating a batch file or script which can be run once to
> setup the username and password for proxy authentication rather than
> the user having to input it every time a new IE session is started. or
> maybe there is some setting within IE itself which allows you to
> specify a user account to always use when authenticating to a proxy. Is
> there maybe a security setting in Group policy.

Create a new user in windows with the same username & password as the
one you need for the proxy. Log on and use this user for IE and the
password should 'pass' through.

--
Chris Salter
MOB: 07707169232

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.developer,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

You really, REALLY need to listen to Phillip on this one. You are trying to
make a glass slipper fill the purpose of a wading boot - it ain't gonna
happen. If you must run a hot-spot I would recommend you get a router that
handles this task and install it for the hot-spot, isolating it from the
rest of the network.

Period.

<d_mc_alister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Chris
>
> This wont work because the PC's are in a Workgroup and the Proxy is in
> a Domain so it wont recognise the Local PC Account. The only way this
> would work is if we signed onto the Domain but our Admin guys want
> these PC's off the Doamin. I need to be able to configure IE to provide
> the Proxy with a username, password and Domain each time the Domain
> Proxy requests it without the user having to input it all the time. Its
> the user intervention which causes the problem.
>
> Cheers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.developer,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I'm trying to picture Cinderella in Hip-Waders.....

--

> You really, REALLY need to listen to Phillip on this one. You are trying
> make a glass slipper fill the purpose of a wading boot - it ain't gonna
> happen. If you must run a hot-spot I would recommend you get a router
that
> handles this task and install it for the hot-spot, isolating it from the
> rest of the network.
>
> Period.

> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>

> <d_mc_alister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Chris
> >
> > This wont work because the PC's are in a Workgroup and the Proxy is in
> > a Domain so it wont recognise the Local PC Account. The only way this
> > would work is if we signed onto the Domain but our Admin guys want
> > these PC's off the Doamin. I need to be able to configure IE to provide
> > the Proxy with a username, password and Domain each time the Domain
> > Proxy requests it without the user having to input it all the time. Its
> > the user intervention which causes the problem.
> >
> > Cheers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.developer,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

<d_mc_alister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Chris
>
> This wont work because the PC's are in a Workgroup and the Proxy is in
> a Domain so it wont recognise the Local PC Account. The only way this
> would work is if we signed onto the Domain but our Admin guys want
> these PC's off the Doamin. I need to be able to configure IE to provide
> the Proxy with a username, password and Domain each time the Domain
> Proxy requests it without the user having to input it all the time. Its
> the user intervention which causes the problem.
>
> Cheers

I know nothing about proxy servers, but assuming you have a DOMAIN account
that would work (I know you aren't on the domain) then try creating a local
account with the same name and password as the domain account and use that.
In my experience windows will normally let you authenticate.

Brian.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.developer,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

In some areas that's how the book is illustrated, you know. Not so much
here in Northern Michigan but I believe it was Minnesota where I saw one.
;-)

> In some areas that's how the book is illustrated, you know. Not so much
> here in Northern Michigan but I believe it was Minnesota where I saw one.
> ;-)

Well, they have all those lakes,...I guess she needs them there.