Item modding question...

I want to create a new item, but the two buttons "Add World Art" and
"Inventory Image" for some reason won't allow you to access the graphics and
models used by the game's default items. You have to get a seperate NIF and
TGA/DDS file, it seems. Does anybody know how to access the game's default
graphics assets in order to apply them to a new item?
6 answers Last reply
More about item modding question

    Darrel Hoffman expounded thusly:
    > I want to create a new item, but the two buttons "Add World Art" and
    > "Inventory Image" for some reason won't allow you to access the
    > graphics and models used by the game's default items. You have to
    > get a seperate NIF and TGA/DDS file, it seems. Does anybody know how
    > to access the game's default graphics assets in order to apply them
    > to a new item?

    You may already know, but you don't need art files if you "clone" an
    existing object by renaming/saving it, then you can go ahead and change
    it all you like.

    -mb

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:
    > Does anybody know how to access the game's default
    > graphics assets in order to apply them to a new item?

    Those files are on the second CD. Insert it and enable that checkbox
    "Use files from CD" or something in the CS preferences.

    > You may already know, but you don't need art files if you "clone" an
    > existing object by renaming/saving it, then you can go ahead and change
    > it all you like.

    Oh, I considered that, but I thought it would overwrite the original object
    in that case. I'll see if that works. (I made a belt, but it's using the
    graphics for the Master Propylon Index, as that's the only mod I have
    installed, so it was the only graphics available.)

    > Those files are on the second CD. Insert it and enable that checkbox
    > "Use files from CD" or something in the CS preferences.

    That's weird. I mean, they must exist in the install somewhere, or else how
    does the game access them? I'm assuming they're all packed in some sort of
    proprietary compressed data file in order for the game to access them, but
    it seems weird that the editor wouldn't have access to this file as well.
    I'll try that "cloning" thing and see if that works. Until I get a new HD,
    I'm trying to keep from installing stuff I really don't need to...

    On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:25:59 +0100, Peter Strempel
    <peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Darrel Hoffman wrote:
    >> Does anybody know how to access the game's default
    >> graphics assets in order to apply them to a new item?
    >
    >Those files are on the second CD. Insert it and enable that checkbox
    >"Use files from CD" or something in the CS preferences.

    Or, if you have the disk space, just copy all the files from the second
    CD into your Morrowind/Data directory. If you're copying them in the
    right place, all the directory names should match.

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:
    > > Those files are on the second CD. Insert it and enable that
    checkbox
    > > "Use files from CD" or something in the CS preferences.
    >
    > That's weird. I mean, they must exist in the install somewhere, or
    else how
    > does the game access them? I'm assuming they're all packed in some
    sort of
    > proprietary compressed data file in order for the game to access
    them, but
    > it seems weird that the editor wouldn't have access to this file as
    well.
    > I'll try that "cloning" thing and see if that works. Until I get a
    new HD,
    > I'm trying to keep from installing stuff I really don't need to...

    They're stored in BSA archives in the Data Files directory. There's at
    least one application to access those archives, if you need to.

    Jaxalot

Graphics Games Modding Video Games