  • Modding
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
December 26, 2004 3:28:19 PM

I want to create a new item, but the two buttons "Add World Art" and
"Inventory Image" for some reason won't allow you to access the graphics and
models used by the game's default items. You have to get a seperate NIF and
TGA/DDS file, it seems. Does anybody know how to access the game's default
graphics assets in order to apply them to a new item?

More about : item modding question

December 26, 2004 5:25:31 PM

Darrel Hoffman expounded thusly:
> I want to create a new item, but the two buttons "Add World Art" and
> "Inventory Image" for some reason won't allow you to access the
> graphics and models used by the game's default items. You have to
> get a seperate NIF and TGA/DDS file, it seems. Does anybody know how
> to access the game's default graphics assets in order to apply them
> to a new item?

You may already know, but you don't need art files if you "clone" an
existing object by renaming/saving it, then you can go ahead and change
it all you like.

-mb
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 9:25:59 PM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
> Does anybody know how to access the game's default
> graphics assets in order to apply them to a new item?

Those files are on the second CD. Insert it and enable that checkbox
"Use files from CD" or something in the CS preferences.
December 26, 2004 10:33:31 PM

> You may already know, but you don't need art files if you "clone" an
> existing object by renaming/saving it, then you can go ahead and change
> it all you like.

Oh, I considered that, but I thought it would overwrite the original object
in that case. I'll see if that works. (I made a belt, but it's using the
graphics for the Master Propylon Index, as that's the only mod I have
installed, so it was the only graphics available.)
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 10:36:19 PM

> Those files are on the second CD. Insert it and enable that checkbox
> "Use files from CD" or something in the CS preferences.

That's weird. I mean, they must exist in the install somewhere, or else how
does the game access them? I'm assuming they're all packed in some sort of
proprietary compressed data file in order for the game to access them, but
it seems weird that the editor wouldn't have access to this file as well.
I'll try that "cloning" thing and see if that works. Until I get a new HD,
I'm trying to keep from installing stuff I really don't need to...
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 10:49:57 AM

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:25:59 +0100, Peter Strempel
<peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>> Does anybody know how to access the game's default
>> graphics assets in order to apply them to a new item?
>
>Those files are on the second CD. Insert it and enable that checkbox
>"Use files from CD" or something in the CS preferences.

Or, if you have the disk space, just copy all the files from the second
CD into your Morrowind/Data directory. If you're copying them in the
right place, all the directory names should match.
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 2:38:53 AM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
> > Those files are on the second CD. Insert it and enable that
checkbox
> > "Use files from CD" or something in the CS preferences.
>
> That's weird. I mean, they must exist in the install somewhere, or
else how
> does the game access them? I'm assuming they're all packed in some
sort of
> proprietary compressed data file in order for the game to access
them, but
> it seems weird that the editor wouldn't have access to this file as
well.
> I'll try that "cloning" thing and see if that works. Until I get a
new HD,
> I'm trying to keep from installing stuff I really don't need to...

They're stored in BSA archives in the Data Files directory. There's at
least one application to access those archives, if you need to.

Jaxalot
!