Cable Management 101

cpres

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Is there any stimple tricks (or a website) for the best way to route your cables to make it
1) Look neat
2) Allow for the best cooling
3) Make sure you don't interfere with any fans.

It's a Antec P180 case with an Antec NeoHE 550W Power Supply (if that matters)

geist89

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
At some craft or hardware stores, they sometimes carry these large velcro wraps that don't look too tacky but can hold a lot of wires. At that stage I've noticed what works well is tucking the wires into an unused drive bay so that they stay out of the way.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Another easy thing to do is (depending on motherboard) route any small cables: rear case fans, 4 pin power, 4 pin molex power, sound card, etc... to the nearest edge of the mobo and hide them just under the edge until they can come out at their desination. Any exposed wires can be sleeved very inexpensively and you can buy some cool looking chrome wire sleeve at most hardware stores and they often have it in black/blue/red too. It is simply a corrugated plastic tube with a slit down one side to open up and tuck wires inside. MUCH cheaper than sleeving kits and probably easier to use.

While you are at the hardware store pick up a small bag (25/50 count is usually the smallest) of any color small zip ties. Work great and when you need to move things around you can simply snip them and you have plenty more to redo your wiring job.

Get rounded IDE cables instead of those ugly flat ribbon type, or you can make your own by using a razor blade between each little wire. Probably pretty time consuming and easy to screw up, never done it but I once saw a mod log-book that someone did. Personally I go for the $2-4 rounded cables instead.

Your case is an Antec so it probably has a few rolled edges. If you use any cold cathodes or thin wired components, it is easy to slide the wire through the rolled edge and nobody will ever see it. I have one of my cathodes right at the bottom of my huge side window and it appears to be powered from nowhere.

Basically have fun with it and make sure not to short any wires on sharp edges. My theory: if it looks good and makes you satisfied, go with it :)