Sign in with
Your question

AM2 Build FINISHED (Rate my Build)

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2006 12:58:57 AM

Okay, after about a month of building (added 2 HD's, X-Fi card, Cathodes, and G500 Speakers), I'm finally done with my build. Today I added 2 WD 320gb HD's. Let me know how I did. It was really fun building for the first time.
The Beast

Before

After: Added 2 HD's, X-Fi card and Cathodes plus cleaned up the wires

Speaker Setup
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/mluu83/SurroundSou...

With the side panel (w/ fans) taken out
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/mluu83/FinalBuild-SystemOffPanellOff.jpg

Cathodes On
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/mluu83/FinalBuild-SystemOnCathodesOn.jpg

An angled look inside
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/mluu83/FinalBuild-SystemOnAngle.jpg

System Off
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/mluu83/?action=view¤t=FinalBuild-SystemOffPanellOn.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch4
August 8, 2006 1:19:49 AM

Nice cable management. :D  Hope I can do that with my new rig.
August 8, 2006 1:42:21 AM

nice build, whats the spec of the beast?
Related resources
August 8, 2006 1:50:37 AM

Your setup is slick...very clean, man. Like adamb10 said, your cable managment is really nice too...that's the most open-air setup I've ever seen. Makes me want to go back into mine and make some changes! I'll save your pics as a model for my new build in a few weeks.

Where'd you get the rear speaker stands?
August 8, 2006 2:15:27 AM

Quote:

AMD AM2 3800+X2
Zalman 9500 AM2 Version HSF
Asus M2N32-SLI mobo
2gb Corsair DDR-800
HIS x1900xt IceQ3
OCZ GamerXStream 700Watt PSU
CM Stacker 830 Case
1 WD 250gb (OS&Programs)
2x WD 320gb (storage)
WD My Book 320GB External HD
2x Samsung Lightscribe DVD Burner
Dell 2405 FPW Monitor
X-Fi Xtrememusic
Creative Pro Gamer G500 Speakers
Sunbeam 5-1/4" Rheobus Kit - Black
Blue CCFL
MS Natural 4000 KB
Razer Diamondback

I got the speaker stands from Best Buy for about $60. Creative makes some specifically for the speakers I have, but they were more than $60 and nobody carried them locally, so I just picked up some regular ones from BB.

Thanks for all the compliments. I'm pretty satisfied with my wire management. Planning was definately worth it.
August 8, 2006 2:20:05 AM

Quote:

AMD AM2 3800+X2
Zalman 9500 AM2 Version HSF
Asus M2N32-SLI mobo
2gb Corsair DDR-800
HIS x1900xt IceQ3
OCZ GamerXStream 700Watt PSU
CM Stacker 830 Case
1 WD 250gb (OS&Programs)
2x WD 320gb (storage)
WD My Book 320GB External HD
2x Samsung Lightscribe DVD Burner
Dell 2405 FPW Monitor
X-Fi Xtrememusic
Creative Pro Gamer G500 Speakers
Sunbeam 5-1/4" Rheobus Kit - Black
Blue CCFL
MS Natural 4000 KB
Razer Diamondback

I got the speaker stands from Best Buy for about $60. Creative makes some specifically for the speakers I have, but they were more than $60 and nobody carried them locally, so I just picked up some regular ones from BB.

Thanks for all the compliments. I'm pretty satisfied with my wire management. Planning was definately worth it.

Nice rig. I really like the LEDs and the cable management.
August 8, 2006 2:48:57 AM

I've been seriously considering getting an E6300 for a while...but unless the prices go down significantly by month's end, I'll probably be sticking with the 3800 X2. I was planning on getting the M2N32 as well...I know SLI is pretty much a waste unless you get two high end cards within a few months of each other, but I think I'll get it just so I have the option if the funds are available and the desire to splurge is there. For now though, I'll probably get a single 7600 GT and wait for a mid-high range DX10 card (hopefully not a 300W gridbuster) and a gig of RAM for now.

Have you OCed the proc yet? How quiet is the system overall? Any initial problems with the mobo?
August 8, 2006 3:14:57 AM

I oc'ed the proc to 2.4ghz. Anything above that gets tricky because of the memory divider. The pair of ram that I have does not clock very well above DDR-800. Guess I should've gotten some CAS4 ram to OC, but then again it's not really worth the effort. The performance difference is not very noticeable at all. Maybe 1-2 extra FPS in games (I run every except Oblivion at 1600x1200 everything maxed, so it's more GPU limited). I just leave it at 2ghz because it runs cooler that way.

The stacker is amazing for air cooling, and with the components that I have, it's very quiet, although not silent. If I had to guess how loud my case is I'd say around 30db max. I'm using 4 yate loon 120mm fans and the coolermaster fan that was already mounted in from of the HD bay. The Zalman is turned down to its lowest setting so its very quiet. The only thing that's "loud" is maybe the PSU and even then it's one of the quietest PSU's you can buy. So unless I go to water cooling, I don't think I could get it any quieter.

In terms of temps.
CPU idles at 30C load at 45-46C.
HD temps 34C-36C (34C for the 250gb, 36C for the 320's)
Mobo at 39C
GPU idles at 46C load at 72C

Overall I happy with the temps.

As for X2 vs. Conroe, I would definately get Conroe if shear performance is what you're after. Conroe is clearly faster, there's no denying it. However, there's also no denying that Conroe is expensive due to supply and demand, and mobo's are sorely lacking and overpriced. If you can wait, I'd get Conroe and some Crossfire/SLI mobo later when they come out. If you're in the market now, AM2 is an absolute bargain by comparison.

Good luck and have fun. :D 
!